1. lookin for a way out
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 08:36
    Should young children perform a nativity play at Christmas, or should it be stopped because it may offend anyone that is not a Christian. Children are taught about other religions, and their special days celebrated at the appropriate time of year.
    Is it right to stop this traditional Christmas play in our schools - in our traditionally Christian country?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 10:151 edit
    Originally posted by Pawn Qween
    Should young children perform a nativity play at Christmas, or should it be stopped because it may offend anyone that is not a Christian. Children are taught about other religions, and their special days celebrated at the appropriate time of year.
    Is it right to stop this traditional Christmas play in our schools - in our traditionally Christian country?
    Firstly, the notion that tradition should determine anything which is less than trivial, cultural practice is a bad idea. Secondly yes, nativity plays should be allowed, as long as there is a balance of other religious festivities and kids are allowed to opt out; political correctness is a cancer which needs to be stopped. Thirdly, and precluding the first two points, it is my personal opinion that religion should have no place in schools whatsoever.
  3. England
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 11:06
    What!!!! and stop the little donkey song by children are you evil
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 11:271 edit
    In what ways are other religions special days celebrated? Are there for example any Jewish or Muslim plays? Do children fast during Ramadan?
    Would plays which support an atheist viewpoint also be acceptable?
    My object to a nativity play would be that it provides the teachers with a chance to essentially evangelize their religion. You will almost certainly find that Christian teachers will tell the children "this is what happened" rather than "this is what Christians believe" or "this is the Christian tradition".

If a Hindu teacher took a similar stance and told your children what some Hindu gods have done in the past - and told it as a factual account - would you find that acceptable?

And no, your country is not 'traditionally Christian'. Christianity is a relatively recent religion for the UK.
  5. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 19:11
    What an absurd idea. I'd be happy for my child to be acting out loves labours lost, even though I don't believe it actually happened.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 19:19
    Why should it offend? If someone says it offends them, then they don't have to see it.

I'm not offended by anyone else's religious observances. Why should my expression of faith be offensive to someone else?

Those who say they are offended by another's religious observances are intolerant fools.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 19:343 edits
    I don't think the idea that "it may offend" is necessarily the problem. Children who are in a minority, be it religious, racial, or whatever have enough trouble "fitting in" without there being activities that point out the differences. It makes sense to make school about education rather than religious celebrations. It's not as if the children who observe a given religion don't have opportunities to do so outside of school.

"Tradition" is a poor reason to do anything.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 20:09
    Well... children can play whatever they want at school, as long as I don't have to watch them. Cause they suck.

However, if they want to do a Christian play, it's fine by me.
  9. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 20:47
    Originally posted by Starrman
    political correctness is a cancer which needs to be stopped.
    The real cancers are Nationalism and Religion...
    ...followed closely by high school drama clubs.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 20:58
    Originally posted by mdhall
    The real cancers are Nationalism and Religion...
    ...followed closely by high school drama clubs.
    I agree with the first two, but high school drama clubs are cool, there were a lot of fit girls at ours, I'd hate to see spotty-faced geeks deprived of the pleasure.
  11. Glasgow Scotland
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 19:56
    35 years ago I was cast a sheep in our school nativity play, my Mum was so proud, my Dad wasn't! My own son has since carried on our family's proud thespian tradition by playing a donkey, his Mum was proud, I wasn't!

Seems harmless fun to me. or am i wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree