1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 20:05
    Many people see more bad than good in the world around them. For me it depends on which theatre of activity in the public domain that I am looking at. Are we sometimes, through our perspectives and dispositions, guilty of failing to accentuate the positive?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 20:08
    yes
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 22:14
    @fmf said
    Many people see more bad than good in the world around them. For me it depends on which theatre of activity in the public domain that I am looking at. Are we sometimes, through our perspectives and dispositions, guilty of failing to accentuate the positive?
    When things get a bit to much I have some sand into which I keep my head.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 22:18
    @FMF

Were you saying something about threads which seem like the wheels are falling off ?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 22:37
    @sonship said
    @FMF

Were you saying something about threads which seem like the wheels are falling off ?
    There's no way of knowing yet whether yours will although your question, above, is not a good sign. With your perspective and disposition, do you ever see yourself as beng guilty of failing to accentuate the positive about the world around you?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:57
    @fmf said
    What do you think the ratio of good and bad is in the world today? How would you quantify it?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 03:371 edit
    @secondson said
    What do you think the ratio of good and bad is in the world today? How would you quantify it?
    How would I "quantify" it? I rate this as a silly question unless you are referring to demographic stats. If so, you should look into it.

Delve into the indicators for infant mortality, maternal mortality, life expectancy, access to preventative health care, access to courts, increasing respect for basic human rights, access to basic education, literacy, chances of being killed arbitrarily by the state or by war etc. if you are interested in the topic.

I would say that in many ways ~ with 'warts-and-all' and 'there-are-still-major-challenges' provisos firmly in place ~ the world is a better, healthier, safer place for more human beings - and a higher proportion of human beings - than at any point in history.

With your perspective and disposition, do you ever see yourself as being guilty of failing to accentuate the positive about the world around you?
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 11:36
    @fmf said
    With your perspective and disposition, do you ever see yourself as being guilty of failing to accentuate the positive about the world around you?
    Who doesn't fail to one degree or another at times to accentuate the positive? And who doesn't fail to one degree or another to accentuate the negative?

I'm a realist. I strive to find a balance and see things for what they are and calling it for what it is, and when I fail it is when I fail to see the truth relative to the good and bad, and if I'm guilty, I'm guilty of being flawed like everyone else.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 12:32
    @fmf said
    How would I "quantify" it? I rate this as a silly question unless you are referring to demographic stats. If so, you should look into it.

Delve into the indicators for infant mortality, maternal mortality, life expectancy, access to preventative health care, access to courts, increasing respect for basic human rights, access to basic education, literacy, chances of being kille ...[text shortened]... ever see yourself as being guilty of failing to accentuate the positive about the world around you?
    Using the finger-in-the-air framework within your post, then I feel that the world is generally a worse and less safe place than say 20 years ago. Although quantifying this gut-feel is impossible I suppose.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 12:59
    @secondson said
    Who doesn't fail to one degree or another at times to accentuate the positive? And who doesn't fail to one degree or another to accentuate the negative?

I'm a realist. I strive to find a balance and see things for what they are and calling it for what it is, and when I fail it is when I fail to see the truth relative to the good and bad, and if I'm guilty, I'm guilty of being flawed like everyone else.
    You strike me, if you don't mind me saying so, as a misanthropic and pessimistic person and you have at times launched into apocalyptic Bible-thumping diatribes about your fellow humans. Were you attracted to the gloomy meanspirited doomsday stuff that [some brands of] Christianity offer, or did your brand of Christianity make you start looking at the world that way.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:08
    @secondson said

I'm a realist.
    That's not how you come over in your posts, especially when you are trotting along with Medullah and his one world government and one world religion nonsenses.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:10
    @fmf said
    You strike me, if you don't mind me saying so, as a misanthropic and pessimistic person and you have at times launched into apocalyptic Bible-thumping diatribes about your fellow humans. Were you attracted to the gloomy meanspirited doomsday stuff that [some brands of] Christianity offer, or did your brand of Christianity make you start looking at the world that way.
    You strike me as being the kind of person that loves to self emulate and receive affirmation of himself through the demeaning and labeling of others that don't agree with your self aggrandizing opinions.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:13
    @secondson said
    You strike me as being the kind of person that loves to self emulate and receive affirmation of himself through the demeaning and labeling of others that don't agree with your self aggrandizing opinions.
    Do you see me as an optimist or pessimist? As positive or negative? As misanthropic or philanthropic?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:16
    @secondson said
    Self emulate. That's an interesting turn of phrase. What do you mean by it? How can one emulate oneself?
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 15:31
    @fmf said
    Do you see me as an optimist or pessimist? As positive or negative? As misanthropic or philanthropic?
    Do you see this forum as a place for you to psychoanalyze people?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree