1. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 12:49
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I disagree. Respectfully, of course. 🙂

The causes of N’s ultimate insanity are open to debate, and different scholars have reached different conclusions, none of which can be established for sure. One prominent view is that it was caused by syphilis.

However, N had a lifelong history of physical maladies, including severe migraines starting at a y ...[text shortened]... re saying.

EDIT: Hey, if we're not careful, you and I will actually get into a debate! 😉
    There's a fine line between madness and genius , Nietzsche walked both on the tightrope of introversion. anyone who strives to dig as deep as Nietzsche did, chances madness,

Yes he had his faults, he had slightly misogynistic views (cf Human all too human Aphorisims 419, 434). His opposition to capitalism was strictly of the romantic kind and hs final political thinking lacks a credible vision of social change and cultural transformation.

In several respects his thinking remains idealist and moralist so generally can only instruct us so far. But he was a huge influence on many academics, Freud and Foucault being but two.
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 13:19
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    In several respects his thinking remains...moralist...
    You think?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 09:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 12:45
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    Freud and Foucault being but two.
    Ah, the fun Freud would have had with that one.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 12:53
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I disagree. Respectfully, of course. 🙂

The causes of N’s ultimate insanity are open to debate, and different scholars have reached different conclusions, none of which can be established for sure. One prominent view is that it was caused by syphilis.

However, N had a lifelong history of physical maladies, including severe migraines starting at a y ...[text shortened]... re saying.

EDIT: Hey, if we're not careful, you and I will actually get into a debate! 😉
    I am of the mind that whatever direction the mind tilts, the head follows, so to speak. Had there been a shift in his thinking following any of the "bouts," I'd say those factors were more contributory. However, as it seems his thinking was merely reinforced (jaw set, sights locked), I'd say his bouts merely revealed his thinking.
    Does he personify anger/stubborn refusal to yield? Nah. I believe he certainly wasn't aided in this thinking, however.
    He wasn't after truth, he was determined to undermine what society had accepted as the same. Crushing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree