1. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 12:09
    as part of his attachment to 'perspectivism' "That there are no facts only interpretations' ergo , everything is subjective.
    Do u agree or should we strive for objectivity otherwise from a subjective point of view nothing is true!
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:17
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    as part of his attachment to 'perspectivism' "That there are no facts only interpretations' ergo , everything is subjective.
    Do u agree or should we strive for objectivity otherwise from a subjective point of view nothing is true!
    When Nietzsche said that everything was subjective, was that an objective or subjective statement?
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:23
    Originally posted by rwingett
    When Nietzsche said that everything was subjective, was that an objective or subjective statement?
    Those you dont teach , teach to fall the faster 'thus spoke zathustra'
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:33
    Those you dont teach , teach to fall the faster 'thus spoke zathustra'
    That's your response to anything that you can't answer directly. Face it: Ninny had an axe to grind, and regardless the convolutions he went through, the message seeped out nonetheless.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That's your response to anything that you can't answer directly. Face it: Ninny had an axe to grind, and regardless the convolutions he went through, the message seeped out nonetheless.
    he had an axe to grind against hegemonic forms of culture as well false ideologies such as christianity yes its true
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:39
    And look how he ended. Pity.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:441 edit
    whats ur point i thought this forum was for serious discussion, the general forum is for humour
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:53
    whats ur point i thought this forum was for serious discussion, the general forum is for humour
    What do you think Nietzsche would say about people who use "ur" in place of "your"? I think he'd have nothing but derision for those people and say they were afflicted with a herd mentality. That's what I think.
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 15:05
    What do you think Nietzsche would say about people who use "ur" in place of "your"? I think he'd have nothing but derision for those people and say they were afflicted with a herd mentality. That's what I think.
    I'd love to knnow what u think of the question in hand not on my typing....
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 02:20
    I'd love to knnow what u think of the question in hand not on my typing....
    And the question is...
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 02:50
    Nothing to do with his philosophy, though.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:001 edit
    His basic axe to grind was at paradigms (mainly Christianity) that he felt were imminently doomed in the face of the enlightenment (the basis for his “God is dead, and we have killed him” aphorism). His fear was that the void would be filled with nihilistic confusion and despair. His principal prescription: amor fati. All the rest—the good, the bad and the ugly—spins around that, I think.

Growing up in a German Lutheran family (his father and grandfather were Lutheran pastors) he did react against the “heaviness” of that particular environment. Hence: “I would believe only in a god who could dance. And when I saw my devil I found him serious, thorough, profound, and solemn: it was the spirit of gravity - through him all things fall.”

His perspectivism was an insistence that no one has a “God’s-eye view” of truth—no “view from nowhere,” or everywhere, or even elsewhere. And we simply ought to recognize that as we proceed.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:01
    I think he'd have nothing but derision for those people and say they were afflicted with a herd mentality. That's what I think.

You think right, I think.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 04:37
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Nothing to do with his philosophy, though.
    I disagree. Respectfully, of course, but disagree nonetheless. He was a miserable man, which was a direct result of his thinking. Unique? No, but that's beside the point. He certainly was more articulate and honest than most, but his thinking is what ultimately diverged his path.
    Logically, his end was misery.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 04:561 edit
    I disagree. Respectfully, of course, but disagree nonetheless. He was a miserable man, which was a direct result of his thinking. Unique? No, but that's beside the point. He certainly was more articulate and honest than most, but his thinking is what ultimately diverged his path.
    Logically, his end was misery.
    I disagree. Respectfully, of course. 🙂

The causes of N’s ultimate insanity are open to debate, and different scholars have reached different conclusions, none of which can be established for sure. One prominent view is that it was caused by syphilis.

However, N had a lifelong history of physical maladies, including severe migraines starting at a young age. He also drove himself relentlessly (often writing 10+ hours per day despite his painful eyesight), in spite of his various ailments (one could argue that that was a result of his thinking). He may also have been manic-depressive. I tend to lean toward these as a combination of factors. I guess it is precisely opposite of your conclusion: i.e., I think that much of his worst thinking may have been the result of his misery.

I do think that a severe "introversion" of thinking, coupled with emotional and physiological factors can lead to ill mental health.

Interestingly, despite the biting vitriol of much of his “negative philosophy,” most commentators seem to report that in person he tended to be respectful and kind and (until his breakdown) coherent.

My only point is this: I once read a commentator who heavily implied that, since Nietzsche ultimately went mad, all of his philosophy should be discounted—and that I think is unwarranted. But that’s not what you’re saying.

EDIT: Hey, if we're not careful, you and I will actually get into a debate! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree