1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 11:211 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    With my mind I evaluate whatever I receive from my other five senses, and in addition I evaluate my feelings and my ideas that are brought up out of the interaction of my inner world and the environment. I use my mind as the buffer of all the sensory data I am constantly receiving from the environment, from my inner world and from the world of my ideas. ...[text shortened]... future world due to the fact that my future lays herenow in a specific modification of my mind😵
    If your mind relies on the other standard five senses, then it is not a sense of its own.

I sense that your mind is not a sense at all, it just doesn't make sense, if you don't mind.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 12:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If your mind relies on the other standard five senses, then it is not a sense of its own.

I sense that your mind is not a sense at all, it just doesn't make sense, if you don't mind.
    Your view is the standard Euro-American, so methinks you ignore ayatana -the interaction of the mind with sense impressions, feelings, perceptions and volition.
    The mind as a sense organ has as its objects the inner picturing, the monologue, the intentions, the thoughts and the meditation amongst else. In addition, within this context, the mind is not privileged merely as a separate receptor of the five senses but it is understood as a sense like the five Euro-Americans
    😵
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 08:40
    Your view is the standard Euro-American, so methinks you ignore ayatana -the interaction of the mind with sense impressions, feelings, perceptions and volition.
    The mind as a sense organ has as its objects the inner picturing, the monologue, the intentions, the thoughts and the meditation amongst else. In addition, within this context, the mind is not ...[text shortened]... ate receptor of the five senses but it is understood as a sense like the five Euro-Americans
    😵
    If you define 'mind' as one of our senses, then it creates more problems than it solves.

I say the traditional five senses covers it all. 'Mind' as a sense is not neccesary.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 09:20
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you define 'mind' as one of our senses, then it creates more problems than it solves.

I say the traditional five senses covers it all. 'Mind' as a sense is not neccesary.
    Well Fabian, methinks the Eastern approach is accurate and that, in addition, it eases the individual to use in full both her/ his conceptual and non-conceptual awareness. I would be more than glad to have your justified evaluation regarding this matter, therefore I will make one more point in order to give you in general the holistic essense of this approach;

Mind is considered to be the dynamic self-organised creative system that has the ability to overcome physical and temporal constraints by means of using and producing energy in order to support one's self in full. And it has the shape of one's awareness at every given time.
    So one's mind manifests equally in one's body, and since a part of the body is the brain it manifests in the brain too. This is the reason why an Eastern would point to her/ his heart or to her/ his lower abdomen if you ask her/ him to point to her/ his mind, whilst a Westerner would point to her/ his head because in the West “mind” is related mostly to “thinking” and “thought”.
    An Eastern meditator calms her/ his mind by coordinating her/ his thoughts, her/ his actions and her/ his breath, and s/he empowers and actualizes her/ his mind by coordinating her/ his thoughts, her/ his physical actions, her/ his breath and her/ his spirit/ attitude😵
  5. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 23:40
    Well Fabian, methinks the Eastern approach is accurate and that, in addition, it eases the individual to use in full both her/ his conceptual and non-conceptual awareness. I would be more than glad to have your justified evaluation regarding this matter, therefore I will make one more point in order to give you in general the holistic essense of this ap ...[text shortened]... er/ his thoughts, her/ his physical actions, her/ his breath and her/ his spirit/ attitude😵
    Interesting read on what mind is, I like..

This is how I view Mind as:

MIND.The only I, or Us; the only Spirit, Soul, divine
    Principle, substance, Life, Truth, Love; the one God;
    not that which is in man, but the divine Principle, or God,
    of whom man is the full and perfect expression; Deity,
    which outlines but is not outlined.
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 03:17
    Well Fabian, methinks the Eastern approach is accurate and that, in addition, it eases the individual to use in full both her/ his conceptual and non-conceptual awareness. I would be more than glad to have your justified evaluation regarding this matter, therefore I will make one more point in order to give you in general the holistic essense of this ap ...[text shortened]... er/ his thoughts, her/ his physical actions, her/ his breath and her/ his spirit/ attitude😵
    Reminds me of the wonderful poem from Kabir:

I said to the wanting-creature inside me:
    What is this river you want to cross?
    There are no travelers on the river-road, and no road.
    Do you see anyone moving about on that bank, or nesting?

There is no river at all, and no boat, and no boatman.
    There is no tow rope either, and no one to pull it.
    There is no ground, no sky, no time, no bank, no ford!

And there is no body, and no mind!
    Do you believe there is some place that will make the
    soul less thirsty?
    In that great absence you will find nothing.

Be strong then, and enter into your own body;
    there you have a solid place for your feet.
    Think about it carefully!
    Don't go off somewhere else!

Kabir says this: just throw away all thoughts of
    imaginary things,
    and stand firm in that which you are.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 03:49
    Originally posted by bbarr

Ther ...[text shortened]... : just throw away all thoughts of
    imaginary things,
    So my dear barr you found the virtue you were looking for in wu wei in the past; me wanna dance😵
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 03:51
    So my dear barr you found the virtue you were looking for in wu wei in the past; me wanna dance😵
    Well if I found it I certainly didn't do so by looking for it. I'm just trying, in a sense, to stay out of my own way.
  9. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 04:30
    Reality as we grasp it by means of our 6 senses ends up strictly in dependence upon the stage and the altitude of the consciousness of each individual. Nietzsche, well aware of the existence of all these possible real worlds, stated that there are no facts, only interpretations;

Methinks one's interpretation of reality depends upon the kind of the structure of his cognizance in relation to the consciousnesses that one is working on😵
    This is a great thread. Rich contributions, a delight. Thank you BB, and all.
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 04:34
    Well if I found it I certainly didn't do so by looking for it. I'm just trying, in a sense, to stay out of my own way.
    What exact agent inside you "tries" to "stay out" of "your own way"?
    What exactly is "your own way" that remains seemingly unclear to you?
    What exact agent inside you follows "your own way" and what exact agent prompts you to "stay out"?
    Where from exactly you want to "stay out", and where exactly you wish to go by means of following "your way"?
    😵
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 07:37

Ther ...[text shortened]... : just throw away all thoughts of
    imaginary things,
    Does Kabir go on and explain what the YOU is in "that which you are"
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 08:06
    What exact agent inside you "tries" to "stay out" of "your own way"?
    What exactly is "your own way" that remains seemingly unclear to you?
    What exact agent inside you follows "your own way" and what exact agent prompts you to "stay out"?
    Where from exactly you want to "stay out", and where exactly you wish to go by means of following "your way"?
    😵
    There is no point in trying to explain any of this. I could just give you phenomenological reports, describing what it is like inside, but I don't really care about all that. I know when things are going well internally and when they are not.
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 08:08
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Does Kabir go on and explain what the YOU is in "that which you are"
    If you want to know, you should go read the poems. They're quite wonderful.
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 11:04
    There is no point in trying to explain any of this. I could just give you phenomenological reports, describing what it is like inside, but I don't really care about all that. I know when things are going well internally and when they are not.
    Of course, however your various phenomenological reports are not what I wanted to extract; I asked you these questions because I wanted to clarify that your nature is merely the nature of your mind, and that your inner balance is a product of the full understanding of your nature alone😵
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 11:05
    There is no thing to be found
    😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree