02 Jun '13 23:502 edits
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 01:14
    Originally posted by kiki46
    Favorite Bible Passages

1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." (New American Standard Bible)

Note: I'm quite sure that neither kiki46, Russ nor Chris will mind if we utilize this empty forum screen space.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 01:22
    Acts 2:43-47

43 And fear came upon every soul; and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common; 45 and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 02:18
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Acts 2:43-47

43 And fear came upon every soul; and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common; 45 and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they pa ...[text shortened]... r with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
    This can only work for responsible believers. It will not work for all societies in general that include irresponsible unbelievers and deceivers in their midst.

The Instructor
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 07:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This can only work for responsible believers. It will not work for all societies in general that include irresponsible unbelievers and deceivers in their midst.

The Instructor
    Ron, what is wrong with you?

Here we have an atheist posting a wonderful, celebratory selection from scripture, and you have to come crap all over it. I would be celebrating the fact that a self-proclaimed atheist posted this selection without even having anything bad to say about it.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 08:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ron, what is wrong with you?

Here we have an atheist posting a wonderful, celebratory selection from scripture, and you have to come crap all over it. I would be celebrating the fact that a self-proclaimed atheist posted this selection without even having anything bad to say about it.
    I did not crap all over it. I was just instructing him in the proper way to understand it. It was not meant for social engineering.

The Instructor
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 10:28

The Instructor
    Then why do so few "responsible" believers live this way? I can think of only 42,000 people in the entire world who do so.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 12:26
    Then why do so few "responsible" believers live this way? I can think of only 42,000 people in the entire world who do so.
    I suspect that it is just not practical or desireable to do so for all responsible believers.

The Instructor
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 12:47
    I suspect that it is just not practical or desireable to do so for all responsible believers.

The Instructor
    So following the teachings of Jesus is neither practical nor desirable for responsible believers? Interesting. In fact, it's interesting how you get to pick and choose which parts of the bible you follow and which you ignore completely. It just so happens, though, that there are 42,000 people who do live according to the passage I've provided from Acts. So it can be done. You just choose not to do it.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 13:213 edits
    The instructions of Paul to the church in Ephesus is very even handed and balanced between personal responsibility and personal generosity.

Notice:

"He who steals should steal no more, but rather should labor, working with his own hands in that which is respectable, that he may have something to share with him who has not." (Ephesians 4:28)

1.) You are now a Christian so you should stop stealing - any kind of stealing at any level.

2.) You are now a Christian so you should fulfill your respectable responsibility and labor with your own hands to take care of yourself.

3.) You are now a Christian so you should not just stop at merely taking care of your own need. You should have something to also distribute to those who have need.

This is balanced, logical and even spiritual for building up the church community.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 17:41
    So following the teachings of Jesus is neither practical nor desirable for responsible believers? Interesting. In fact, it's interesting how you get to pick and choose which parts of the bible you follow and which you ignore completely. It just so happens, though, that there are 42,000 people who do live according to the passage I've provided from Acts. So it can be done. You just choose not to do it.
    I have chosen to earn my own living and provide for my own family and give a little to charity, rather than to live off others.

The Instructor
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 22:29
    Originally posted by sonship
    The instructions of Paul to the church in Ephesus is very even handed and balanced between personal responsibility and personal generosity.

Notice:

[b]"He who steals should steal no more, but rather should labor, working with his own hands in that which is respectable, that he may have something to share with him who has not." (Ephesians 4:28)
    ...[text shortened]... ] need.

This is balanced, logical and even spiritual for building up the church community.[/b]
    That works.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 02:08
    I'm just curious, do these 42,000 people have a collective name?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 12:161 edit
    "The Top 10 Bible Verses of 2012"

"What were the most-read Bible verses on Bible Gateway in 2012? We’ve crunched the numbers to find out which parts of the Bible were the most heavily looked up and read last year. Here’s a countdown of the top ten most popular Bible verses of 2012, based on Bible Gateway visitor data:"

10. Proverbs 3:6 “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” (KJV)

9. Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” (NIV)

8. 1 Corinthians 13:4 “Love is patient, love is kind, it isn’t jealous, it doesn’t brag, it isn’t arrogant….” (CEB)

7. Proverbs 3:5 “With all your heart you must trust the Lord and not your own judgment.” (CEV)

6. Romans 12:2 “Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God—what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect.” (GNT)

5. Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” (ESV)

4. Romans 8:28 “We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.” (NRSV)

3. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (NASB)

2. Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (NLT)

1. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (NIV)

"Any surprises in this list—verses in the list that you didn’t expect, or verses that you did expect but are missing? If you were to list out your own ten most-read Bible verses, how would your list compare to this one?"

http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2013/01/the-top-10-bible-verses-of-2012/
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 12:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm just curious, do these 42,000 people have a collective name?
    It starts with an 'H'.

If you've paid attention to my previous posts in this forum, it should be obvious. I've brought them up numerous times in the past.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree