1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 17:45
    So we have asked the question about Christians, how about atheists? It seems pretty clear cut to me, however. An atheist simply demands that there be no God. Atheists seem much easier in labeling than the theists. Does anyone agree/disagree?
  2. CA, USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 17:49
    No true atheist ever would ... deny knowing everything.

A weak atheist would, but not a true atheist.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 17:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    So we have asked the question about Christians, how about atheists? It seems pretty clear cut to me, however. An atheist simply demands that there be no God. Atheists seem much easier in labeling than the theists. Does anyone agree/disagree?
    Demands that there be no god? I disagree. No surprise there.

Observes that it is unlikely that there is a god, would be more like it.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 17:51
    Originally posted by jammer
    No true atheist ever would ... deny knowing everything.

A weak atheist would, but not a true atheist.
    A weak atheist is a true atheist. It is the christians themselves who have a vested interest in propagating the stereotype of the hard atheist.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 18:01
    No true atheist would ever pray.

No true atheist would use Jesus's or God's name in vain.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 18:12
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    No true atheist would ever pray.

No true atheist would use Jesus's or God's name in vain.
    No. 1 is true enough.

No. 2 they sometimes do out of habit.
  7. CA, USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 18:33
    Originally posted by rwingett
    A weak atheist is a true atheist. It is the christians themselves who have a vested interest in propagating the stereotype of the hard atheist.
    Actually we have one here on site .. bbarr or something like that is his tag. He a Philosophy guru and says he's a strong atheist. I can't debate him 'cause uses words i've never heard and don't understand AFTER reading the definition in my dictionary.

I've always thought that the strong athesits doctrine was that there is no God or gods. Weak atheistism is the disbelief or denial of the exisistence of God or gods.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 18:34
    No true atheist would ever enter a foxhole.
  9. CA, USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 18:36
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Not true .. some will convert quite quickly though when the fit hits the shan
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 20:08
    Originally posted by jammer
    Actually we have one here on site .. bbarr or something like that is his tag. He a Philosophy guru and says he's a strong atheist. I can't debate him 'cause uses words i've never heard and don't understand AFTER reading the definition in my dictionary.

I've always thought that the strong athesits doctrine was that there is no God or gods. Weak atheistism is the disbelief or denial of the exisistence of God or gods.
    I'm not saying there are no strong atheists, but that a vast majority of knowledgeable atheists are weak atheists. Theists, however, have a vested interest in incorrectly portraying strong atheism as being the proper definition of atheism, or in depicting most atheists as being strong atheists. Neither is the case.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 20:15
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Not true. American Atheist regularly runs a feature in their publication called "Foxhole Atheist," which profiles an atheist in the military service. Pat Tillman, the ex-NFL player who was killed in Afghanistan, was an atheist.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 21:23
    No true atheist would ever bow down and be forced to accept JC as his or her personal savior, no true atheist would bow down and be forced to accept Allah as his or her god. I personally would rather die then be forced to such a vile formula.
  13. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 21:26
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Observes that it is unlikely that there is a god, would be more like it.
    If that were the definition accepted of all atheists I might reconsider. That's a very interesting perspective, one not commonly heard.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 21:30
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    If that were the definition accepted of all atheists I might reconsider. That's a very interesting perspective, one not commonly heard.
    Not commonly heard? It seems pretty common to me.
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 22:03
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Not commonly heard? It seems pretty common to me.
    Well, all I had ever heard was that athiests were absolute, concrete, no-second-thoughts about "there is no God." I've never heard "most likely not a God" before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree