1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:44
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I would say that Christians who think it is ridiculous to believe in the Bible as the Word of God aren't Christians at all, fundamentalist or not.
    It's easier to maintain this opinion when you are fortified by ignorance.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:53
    I would say that Christians who think it is ridiculous to believe in the Bible as the Word of God aren't Christians at all, fundamentalist or not.
    Yes.... But you're a fundamentalist so you would think that.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 22:06
    What about christians who 'interpret' the bible to support their non-christian views?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 00:57
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Is Kirk still around?
    Thank you for giving me a shout out.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 01:05
    Not defined in that fashion, no.
    Would you find it ridiculous to say that there are parts of the Bible that take precedence over other parts of the Bible. For example, does the Sermon on the Mount offer more of the essence of the faith than the Book of Ezra?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 03:37
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Would you find it ridiculous to say that there are parts of the Bible that take precedence over other parts of the Bible. For example, does the Sermon on the Mount offer more of the essence of the faith than the Book of Ezra?
    Ezra is a very important historical book that gives us information about the time of the return of the captives of Israel to rebuild Jerusalem so we are able to calculate the prophecy of Daniel about the time of the coming of the Christ and is just as important to me, if not more so, as is the Sermon on the Mount. It may seem unimportant to others faith, like all the begats in Genesis, but I think most parts of the Holy Bible are important for the faith of someone.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 04:26
    You're starting your argument with a false statement, thus rendering it all false.

Just saying "total untrustworthiness of the Bible" makes me stop listening. Even with the pansy modifier "possibly".

Add in "idiocy" and "semi-literate" and your ignorance is complete.
    ... and the bible is trustworthy because ....... ?

let me guess: it says so.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 05:113 edits
    I think that the conundrum here is that if the Bible is ignored, then God is whatever you percieve him to be or want him to be. It would be no different than being an athiest at that point.

I find that truth is usually a good kick in the arse. God knows we all need it form time to time and every time I read the Bible my arse tends to hurt. 😛:'(
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 05:14
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    How do you weigh which one is "true" and which one is "false"?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 06:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think that the conundrum here is that if the Bible is ignored, then God is whatever you percieve him to be or want him to be. It would be no different than being an athiest at that point.

I find that truth is usually a good kick in the arse. God knows we all need it form time to time and every time I read the Bible my arse tends to hurt. 😛:'(
    No, I think the conundrum is that there are different ways to take the Bible very seriously. Texts don't interpret themselves; it is the tradition of a community of interpreters, or through reason, experience, and ultimately the choice of a reader that ultimately interacts with the text to produce an interpretation. And where there is room for different interpretive frameworks, there is room for disagreement (at least around the margins) of what God is, what He wants, etc.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 07:21
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    ... and the bible is trustworthy because ....... ?

let me guess: it says so.
    It doesn't.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 08:55
    And why do you think that? How do you define 'Christian' in order to make that so?
    Suppose somebody believes Jesus was the son of God, and they try to follow Jesus' teachings, but do not believe the Bible is the Word of God. Why are they not Christians in your view?
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 09:111 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The type who don't take the Word at its word. Who might find the idea of doing so ridiculous. Are there any on this board?
    I believe Zahlanzi is such a Christian...I find his posts quite refreshing to be honest. As for others, none spring to mind right now (unfortunately).
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 09:14
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I believe Zahlanzi is such a Christian...I find his posts quite refreshing to be honest. As for others, none spring to mind right now (unfortunately).
    But he's not a 'True Christian'®.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 17:33
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    But he's not a 'True Christian'®.
    That's right!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree