1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 18:23
    The type who don't take the Word at its word. Who might find the idea of doing so ridiculous. Are there any on this board?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 18:31
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The type who don't take the Word at its word. Who might find the idea of doing so ridiculous. Are there any on this board?
    Not defined in that fashion, no.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 00:241 edit
    Accepting the fundamentals of the faith does not make one a "fundamentalist" within the meaning you present here. Extreme fundamentalism is possibly a clearer definition. I see a few in here and know a few in real life. The ones I know in real life are good people trapped in a paradigm of ever decreasing [thought] circles which can lead to them exhibiting a somewhat misanthropic and even aggressive demeanor. If I ever come across this way, it's because I'm a being miserable git, not because I'm an extreme fundamentalist (which I’m not).
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 07:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Accepting the fundamentals of the faith does not make one a "fundamentalist" within the meaning you present here. Extreme fundamentalism is possibly a clearer definition. I see a few in here and know a few in real life. The ones I know in real life are good people trapped in a paradigm of ever decreasing [thought] circles which can lead to them exhibiti ...[text shortened]... cause I'm a being miserable git, not because I'm an extreme fundamentalist (which I’m not).
    Here's the thing: the possibly total untrustworthiness of the Bible was not considered incompatible with the fundamentals of the faith until advent the Gutenberg era. With print came a shift from negative to positive theology that has had the undesirable result of fostering wide-spread idiocy among semi-literate believers.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 08:12
    Is Kirk still around?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 11:10
    Fundamentalism may have different meanings for different people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 11:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Fundamentalism may have different meanings for different people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism
    He means Christians that aren't like you.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 11:33
    Originally posted by bbarr
    He means Christians that aren't like you.
    Suzianne doesn't think she is like his definition. However, she probably does not feel she is a Christian like me either.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 11:44
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Is Kirk still around?
    I don't think he posts here anymore.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:13
    I would say that Christians who think it is ridiculous to believe in the Bible as the Word of God aren't Christians at all, fundamentalist or not.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:19
    Here's the thing: the possibly total untrustworthiness of the Bible was not considered incompatible with the fundamentals of the faith until advent the Gutenberg era. With print came a shift from negative to positive theology that has had the undesirable result of fostering wide-spread idiocy among semi-literate believers.
    You're starting your argument with a false statement, thus rendering it all false.

Just saying "total untrustworthiness of the Bible" makes me stop listening. Even with the pansy modifier "possibly".

Add in "idiocy" and "semi-literate" and your ignorance is complete.
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't think he posts here anymore.
    *grumble* ...good 'ol days... *grumble*.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:21
    Seems to be a catch 22 around here..
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:23
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You're starting your argument with a false statement, thus rendering it all false.

Just saying "total untrustworthiness of the Bible" makes me stop listening. Even with the pansy modifier "possibly".

1) Christians are dumb.
    2) Jesus loves the dumb.

Therefore...

3) Jesus loves Christians.

Is everything in the above argument false, because it starts with a false premise? Right. So that's a brief lesson in logic. You're welcome.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 21:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne

My post is a condensed summary of historical opinions held by various Christian thinkers and recorded in Karen Armstrong's book The Case For God.

There was even a spiritual exercise that consisted in bringing to mind all the patent flaws and absurdities that the Bible contains, the better to enter the 'cloud of unknowing'.

Idolatry of the Bible is one of the more pitiful dispositions of semi-literate idiots.

Anyhow: a thought experiment: imagine all the Bibles in the world burnt up in a flash, every one of them, digital versions, paper versions, clay versions, the lot. Would your faith go up in smoke along with it? Or would you discover that you didn't need the Bible all along?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree