1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '15 02:142 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So, 1000 years is like one day. Interesting. Maybe 1 billion years is also like one day to your alleged deity. That would make the Earth about 6 billion years old, not far off from the real # of 4.5.

It's been 2000 odd years and it will be 2 MILLION years, humans extinct and STILL no show for your beloved JC. AND no stupid ass antichrist.
    I think atheists show off for each other.
    Kind of "We're all in this together. Right?"
    Yes, you're comrades in unbelief urging each other on to blaspheme and be bold against Christ and God.

The results of your decision to not be saved, however, you will face utterly alone.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 May '15 07:19
    Originally posted by sonship

The results of your decision to not be saved, however, you will face utterly alone.[/b]
    You are of course seeing this through Christian eyes. For an atheist it is not a question of deciding whether or not to be saved, but rather a recognition that there is no one there to save us.

Sorry to say, but in death we will all be utterly alone, yourself included.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '15 11:183 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You are of course seeing this through Christian eyes. For an atheist it is not a question of deciding whether or not to be saved, but rather a recognition that there is no one there to save us.

That's easy for you to say. But you don't realize the impact of receiving the Holy Spirit Whom the Bible says is the "forestaste" and the "pledge" and a "seal".

That is a guarantee of more to come.
    That is an appetizer of a fuller portion of the believer's experience of today as an initial partial portion.

The indwelling Spirit of Christ gives such assurance that this present experience is a preview of more to come.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 May '15 11:51
    That's easy for you to say. But you don't realize the impact of receiving the Holy Spirit Whom the Bible says is the [b]"forestaste" and the "pledge" and a "seal".

That is a guarantee of more to come.
    That is an appetizer of a fuller portion of the believer's experience of today as an initial partial portion.

The indwelling ...[text shortened]... Spirit of Christ gives such assurance that this present experience is a preview of more to come.[/b]
    Actually, it is not at all easy to say. Do you think i would rather not believe in an immortal soul, that there was more to life than this? Indeed, it would be easier to switch off my reason and believe something that was comforting and reassuring. Atheism is not a weakness. Quite the opposite.

' The indwelling reason gives such assurance that this present experience is all there is.'
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '15 15:178 edits
    Actually, it is not at all easy to say.

OK.

Do you think i would rather not believe in an immortal soul,

Strictly speaking "the immortality of the soul" is not a specific doctrine taught in the Bible. But a strong implication of it is present. Your thoughts about judgment may also effect your attitude about this.

that there was more to life than this? Indeed, it would be easier to switch off my reason and believe something that was comforting and reassuring. Atheism is not a weakness. Quite the opposite.

Whether it is a weakness or not, some of us cannot lightly dismiss the character of such a Person as Jesus. There is an approvedness built up around Him which makes us take His discussion of the matter seriously.

When it comes to going INTO death and coming OUT of it again, some of us have to take into account the things said by Jesus. If anyone else said these things it would not be so pertinent. No one else has ever been there --- DEAD and COME BACK.

If not you, some of us have to sit up, switch on some reason and take notice what Jesus Christ has to say about the subject matter.

' The indwelling reason gives such assurance that this present experience is all there is.'

I didn't say the indwelling reason though you did.
    I think I wrote the indwelling Holy Spirit or some equivalent.

Now I would say you should look carefully into what of ALL that Christ taught. It could be that you have a longing for an immortal life because something like that exists ?

The yearning, the need may be there because there is a corresponding reality that actually exists.

Seriously. Think of a woman who has never known a man to exist, to have an unexplained yearning for SOMETHING that matches her, compliments her. Maybe there is a longing because a MAN actually is a reality.

Vica versa too.

In your contemplations you could give at least equal time to think - "Maybe I long for something more or for an eternal life of deeper purpose to life ... because these are things that really are and for which I was made."
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 May '15 15:42

I didn't say the indwelling reason though you did.

In your contemplations you could give at least equal time to think - "Maybe I long for something more or for an eternal life of deeper purpose to life ... because these are things that really are and for which I was made."[/b]
    Sorry, i was not quoting you directly. (Apologies for the confusion). I had used your original quote to give an atheistic alternative. (I do that a lot).

My thoughts though are not with an eternal future i do not believe it, but with a mortal present i still have some control over.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '15 15:561 edit
    My thoughts though are not with an eternal future i do not believe it, but with a mortal present i still have some control over.

It is interesting that "self control" is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit that Paul enumerates.

I think that ultimate "self control" was exemplified in the resurrection of Christ. Indulge me a little -

"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.

No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have the authority to lay it down and I have authority to take it again. " (John 10:17,18)

I think the familiar tone of your comment is like this - "Don't bother me about some pie in the sky in the future. I need ham where I am today in a very immediate practical way. You Christians are negligent to the immediate and focused totally on some future happy place."

Well, this is not entirely the case with all of us disciples.

Consider the Karate expert. I have heard that when a Karate expert breaks a board with his bare hands, he is actually aiming not for the board but for a point beyond the board. That gives him the power to thrust his hand through the board.

Well, its an analogy. Yes there are some wonderful promises awaiting us in the future. But along with the indwelling presence of His Spirit and a hope in His ultimate vindication and final victory, we are empowered to stand against any trials big and small of today.

This has significant benefit to the here and now. And this is also a divine "self control" as a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:01
    In the days of Noah, something came upon the world which the world had never seen or known before.

It is the same today. What is coming on the world the world has never seen or known before - "the great tribulation" .

And we should lay hold on the life which is really life. Everything that can be shaken will be shaken. I want to receive "an unshakable kingdom" in the Son of God.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 May '15 17:07

You have been given freewill by God and apparently you have chosen to remain without hope of a Savior. 🙁
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 May '15 17:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You have been given freewill by God and apparently you have chosen to remain without hope of a Savior. 🙁
    And you have been given a brain by nature and chosen not to use it. 😏
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 May '15 19:50
    And you have been given a brain by nature and chosen not to use it. 😏
    Ha ha 😀
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 May '15 20:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Ha ha 😀
    Tomorrow is Sunday old chap. Let us have a day of non evolution and mutually agree that the world is almost certainly older than the chip on Robbie's shoulder.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 May '15 20:411 edit
    Tomorrow is Sunday old chap. Let us have a day of non evolution and mutually agree that the world is almost certainly older than the chip on Robbie's shoulder.
    Robbie is a Jehovah Witness and they believe the earth is much older than 6,000 years, but not millions or billions of year.
    “...each of the creative “days” or periods was evidently seven thousand years long, the whole creative “week” takes in 49,000 years.”
    — Watchtower 02/01 1973

Therefore, I cannot agree with that stupid idea either. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree