Nyepi

SubscriberFMF
Spirituality 28 Mar '17 02:45
  1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 02:451 edit
    Nyepi is a Balinese "Day of Silence" that is commemorated every new year according to the Balinese calendar. It is a Hindu celebration mainly celebrated in Bali, Indonesia, where it is a public holiday.

Here is a message from a hotel in Bali to its guests...

Dear Valued guests,

The Balinese Hindus do not celebrate the coming of the new year of Saka calendar with lavish party; they celebrate it with meditation instead. No activities are allowed to take place. These mandatory religious prohibitions include no pleasure (amati lelangon), no traffic (amati lelungan), no fire (amati geni) and no work (amati karya). This year, Nyepi Day falls on 28 March 2017.

On Nyepi Day, we will not be able to accept any check-in nor check-out throughout the day.

We notice that you will be staying with us during Nyepi Day,
    kindly be informed of the below situations during Nyepi Day:

The silence begins sunrise around 6:00 am of 28 March 2017 and will go on until the next 24 hours

All shops are closed on Nyepi Day

Guests has to stay inside the resort area

When listening to the music or watching TV in the villa, keep the sound at minimum level

There will be no traffic on that day in the whole Bali island

Ngurah Rai airport will be totally closed on 28 March 2017, so there will be neither arrival nor departure in the airport on that day. All connecting airports around the globe have been informed in advance about this.

Across Bali, the activities are allowed only in emergency rooms and maternity section of hospitals and the arrival section of airport. Any emergencies are taken into consideration and tolerated. The whole island is in silence.

http://www.kamandaluresort.com/nyepi-day.html

Also see here:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/04/nyepi-the-balinese-day-of-silence/100711/
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 02:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nyepi is a Balinese "Day of Silence" that is commemorated every new year according to the Balinese calendar. It is a Hindu celebration mainly celebrated in Bali, Indonesia, where it is a public holiday.

[quote]Dear Valued guests,

The Balinese Hindus do not celebrate the coming of the new year of Sa ...[text shortened]... o see here:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/04/nyepi-the-balinese-day-of-silence/100711/
    Yeah, silence and stillness is a big part of Hindu practice.

Deepak Chopra (whose writings I don't know all that well) advised that one should practice meditation 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins at night.
    I would say that some should stick to a schedule like that and others should do it when it feels right - I definitely belong in the second category.

He (Chopra) also talks about sitting quietly for 2 hours, or a day or even a week, however concedes that some should start with just an hour..
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 03:001 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

The Balinese Hindus do not celebrate the coming of the new year of Sa ...[text shortened]... o see here:
    It somehow reminds me of "Buy Nothing Day" , whoever thought of that - take a big bow.
    It's definitely my fave ' holiday' over here, however I've noticed the mainstream media have been giving it no airtime in the last couple of years 😕
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 07:17
    Originally posted by FMF

Sounds great, we should have it over here - weekly, if possible. Maybe on a Sunday.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 08:01
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Sounds great, we should have it over here - weekly, if possible. Maybe on a Sunday.
    We can have our time of silence whenever we want. But forcing the population to adhere to a religious practice seems like a bad thing to me.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 08:10
    Originally posted by apathist
    We can have our time of silence whenever we want. But forcing the population to adhere to a religious practice seems like a bad thing to me.
    In general I'd agree, but this does sound like an excellent set of restrictions.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 14:48
    No pleasure? I don't think you are supposed to be happy about it. But maybe "pleasure" has a particular meaning.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 03:03
    Originally posted by FMF

Excellent idea.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 05:03
    Originally posted by apathist
    How 'forced" people feel will depend on their families and their neighbourhoods. It's comparable to the Jewish Sabbath but it takes place once a year rather than 50+ times.
  10. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 06:35
    Will you all please be quiet?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 08:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    Will you all please be quiet?
    Why - are you trying to think?