1. England
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 10:02
    at the burning bush moses was asked to remove his sandals as he was on holy ground, as shoes are not evil wounder why??
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 10:561 edit
    Originally posted by stoker
    at the burning bush moses was asked to remove his sandals as he was on holy ground, as shoes are not evil wounder why??
    Removing ones sandals is a gesture of respect or reverence. Moses was commanded to do this at the burning bush and Joshua in the presence of an angel. (Ex 3:5; Jos 5:15) Even when one enters a Mosque or a Hindu temple or the Sikh place of worship the Gurdwara, one must remove ones footware. Sandals have great significance in the East as you are no doubt aware by the shoe throwing incident of G.W.Bush. Even i myself have seen it when travelling on a bus, one man, a student refused to pay the fair, he was thrown off and a scuffle ensued, the man was so irate that he removed his sandal and threatened his accuser, then all 'hell', broke loose! Thus Holiness means cleanness or sanctification, sandals are perhaps associated with dust and uncleanness, to remove them is a simple gesture of reverence and respect, especially in the presence of God.
  3. England
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 10:09
    a good and plauseable answer, but since god sees good and evil beyond mans understanding, he required more the soul being clean not the things that man needs in every day life.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:51
    A burning bush by which god spoke..........give me a break! The shoes are the least of the problem.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 18:38
    Originally posted by 667joe
    A burning bush by which god spoke..........give me a break!
    Greater things than this are in the world's myths. One wonders why a burning bush though--was the sun particularly hot? Did lightning strike?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 18:49
    a good and plauseable answer, but since god sees good and evil beyond mans understanding, he required more the soul being clean not the things that man needs in every day life.
    yes Christ states that it is the things that issue forth out of a person that defiles them, not washing in a ritualistic manner, and we are advised to clean the inside of the cup, so that it may be useful. 🙂
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 19:23
    Originally posted by 667joe
    A burning bush by which god spoke..........give me a break! The shoes are the least of the problem.
    God did not speak through a burning bush per se - please note that an angel was involved. An angel is what is appearing as flame in the bush, to get Moses' attention.

It's a minor point in terms of the event but a major theological point, as well as imperative in understanding the role of angels in the OT.
  8. England
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 09:401 edit
    Originally posted by Badwater
    God did not speak through a burning bush per se - please note that an angel was involved. An angel is what is appearing as flame in the bush, to get Moses' attention.

It's a minor point in terms of the event but a major theological point, as well as imperative in understanding the role of angels in the OT.
    its easy to forget this point, remembering god passed moses and was only alowed to view the back of his head.
    it never mentions which of the seven it was,
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 01:21
    I think they got the scene more or less accurately in Raiders of the Lost Ark--now that's a movie designed to inspire belief in YHWH, the g-d of the Bible.
  10. England
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 10:18
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I think they got the scene more or less accurately in Raiders of the Lost Ark--now that's a movie designed to inspire belief in YHWH, the g-d of the Bible.
    i will have to watch it again because your point escapes me

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree