1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 May '07 02:36
    If science is defined as discovering the laws of nature from observation alone, then it is true that science is objective. However, isn’t it true that humans always view the world through subjective eyes? If this is the case, our scientific observations will always be from a subjective view. Perhaps our quest for discovering objective truth is what spurs us on towards greater scientific discovery?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    01 May '07 03:47
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    If science is defined as discovering the laws of nature from observation alone, then it is true that science is objective. However, isn’t it true that humans always view the world through subjective eyes? If this is the case, our scientific observations will always be from a subjective view. Perhaps our quest for discovering objective truth is what spurs us on towards greater scientific discovery?
    There can be no doubt that what any one person sees is a subjective view of the world - whether they're a scientist or not. Science tries to offset this I guess through peer review of work - so that anyone view is scrutinised and scrutinised and scrutinised until others either agree that it represents something true about the world or else reject it.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 May '07 03:56
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    This is why we use statistics and good experimental design to break things down to "yes" "no" questions, which can be statistically tested, as much as possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree