1. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 06:43
    I learnt Gnostic as meaning spiritual Christianity, looking at the story of Christ as a way to connect with God and make yourself a better person, from the word "Gnosis" which means "spiritual knowledge", the Gnostics are the "knowers".

They're also one of only two christian sects who believe Jesus never existed.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 10:11
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    I learnt Gnostic as meaning spiritual Christianity, looking at the story of Christ as a way to connect with God and make yourself a better person, from the word "Gnosis" which means "spiritual knowledge", the Gnostics are the "knowers".

Do any early texts suggest that Jesus was married? If so, were they gnostic or what?
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 11:24
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    Are you actually reading what you write?

The source you cite actually has been proven to be a later, less reliable copy of the inscription.

The shortest and roughest (and therefore probably the earliest and most accurate) version of this inscription used the diminutive nickname "Katey," rather than the more formal "Katherine."

Moreover, the so-c ...[text shortened]... f off as an expert, but it's all too easy for me to call you out.

Also: booya.
    I'm so ashamed of myself. 😞😵
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 14:27
    Gnostics weren't a 'sect,' per se. They adopted a general theo-philosophical understanding of
    the Gospel message. Some Gnostics believed that Jesus existed, others didn't. The degree to which
    they understood His existence varied, as well. That is, Gnostics not only argued with what came to
    be the Orthodox position, they argued with themselves (just like the Orthodox did). There was no
    central Gnostic authority that codified any one set of Gnostic beliefs over another.

So, when we speak about Gnosticism, we are speaking about a disparate subset of theo-philosophical
    ideas, not of an organized sect.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 14:28
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    Also: booya.
    DAMN! Darv was pwned!
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 14:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do any early texts suggest that Jesus was married? If so, were they gnostic or what?
    There are some that report an intimate physical relationship with Saint Mary Magdalene. Since it
    would be unheard of for a Jewish male to have such physical contact with a woman who was not
    his wife, one can infer that He was married to her.

Nemesio
  7. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 03:49
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    DAMN! Darv was pwned!
    That's coz I got my freak on.
  8. London
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 14:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I found it interesting how many people got very upset by the book and movie "The Da Vinci Code" because it suggested that there were books that conflicted with the current Bible.
    I don't see why anyone who has read the Bible carefully should be surprised that there are books that conflict with (say) canonical Gospel accounts -- Luke's Gospel mentions it in the opening chapter.

No, the people who got upset by DVC were upset because of a blatant misrepresentation of historical facts (e.g. that it was the Christians who attacked the Romans, that the Biblical canon didn't exist till Constantine, that Christ wasn't considered God till Nicea etc. etc.)
  9. London
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 14:27

Actually, one of the defining features of Gnosticism was the secretive nature of the spiritual gnosis. You had to be part of the "inner circle" of believers to receive the secrets handed down. The various Gnostic gospels, for instance, are named after the supposed Apostle that formed Jesus's "inner circle" to whom secrets were revealed that were not revealed to the others (e.g. Judas in the Gospel of Judas, Mary Magdalene in the Gospel of Mary etc.)

While it's not correct to say that Gnostics believed Jesus never existed, it's not entirely incorrect either. The physical body was of no consequence or importance to Gnostics; material reality was (so to say) immaterial. It would be more correct to say that it didn't really matter in Gnosticism whether Jesus really existed or not; or whether the events in the Gnostic Gospels actually occurred or not.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 14:30
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    No, the people who got upset by DVC were upset because of a blatant misrepresentation of historical facts
    The people I met who were upset had no idea what the historical facts were they were just upset that anyone could suggest that the Bible might be wrong and to some extent worried by the possibility that there were books with conflicting accounts.
    A large proportion of Christians I have met and talked to have little or no knowledge about the origins of the Bible. Some even think it was written by King James.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 17:34
    Originally posted by jaywill
    CARM's Website Papers on Alleged[b] Missing Books from the Bible:

http://www.carm.org/lostbooks.htm

What do YOU hope to find in the "missing books of the Bible?"[/b]
    I have seen Cram's Website becasue it is connected to Way of the Masters Biblical School of Ministry. But I found that they also have an online school awesome. Thanks.
  12. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 23:11
    Why has the Bible stopped being written? Has everything God wanted to say been said. Have no more great spititual events taken place since way back when. Would the book of Mormons be considered part of the Bible? Yes, I am a nonbeliever, but i'm interested in learning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree