1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 08:571 edit
    On a Scale of 1 to 7

"Bill Maher (William "Bill" Maher, Jr.) born January 20, 1956 is an American stand-up comedian, television host, social and political commentator, and author. Before his current role as the host of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, Maher hosted a similar late-night talk show called Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central and later on ABC. Maher is known for his political satire and sociopolitical commentary. His commentaries target a wide swath of topics: religion, politics, bureaucracies of many kinds, political correctness, the mass media, greed among people and persons in positions of high political and social power, among many others. He supports the legalization of marijuana and gay marriage and serves on the board of PETA. He is also a critic of religion and is an advisory board member of The Reason Project. Maher is number 38 on Comedy Central's 100 greatest stand-ups of all time.

November 1, 2009 on Imus: "Neither me nor my girl believe in God or marriage, so there's not gonna be a big church wedding... I always say I don't know. Even Richard Dawkins a man whose name has become synonymous with atheism says he puts a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being absolute certain there is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't, and he says even he's a 6.9. Because no one knows for sure what's out there. He says yes there could be a god and there could be a spaghetti monster out there, but it doesn't look like it."

Imus then asks if Hitchens is a 7. Bill Maher responds "he may be, I think we're just talking semantics at some point, we are all atheists (referring to Dawkins, Hitchens, and himself), which means we don't believe in a deity, we don't believe in a magic spaceman, and we think people that do, have a neurological disorder and they need help."

http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Bill_Maher

"a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being absolute certain there is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't..."

* Richard Dawkins: 6.9

* You: ?
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 09:03
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 09:31
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 11:25
    7-e as e tends to zero.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 15:39
    7-x
    x --> 0 as wolfgang --> old

currently 6.99999999999999
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 17:07
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]On a Scale of 1 to 7

"Bill Maher (William "Bill" Maher, Jr.) born January 20, 1956 is an American stand-up comedian, television host, social and political commentator, and author. Before his current role as the host of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, Maher hosted a similar late-night talk show called Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central an ...[text shortened]... re is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't..."

* You: ?[/b]
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 17:09
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Hmmmm. Certainly, this *must* be the result of some kind of faith, as is my '1.0', because there certainly is no "proof" in either direction.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 17:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hmmmm. Certainly, this *must* be the result of some kind of faith, as is my '1.0', because there certainly is no "proof" in either direction.
    Does the same hold true for talking pancakes, flying spaghetti monsters and werewolves?
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 18:19
    [b]On a Scale of 1 to 7

"Bill Maher (William "Bill" Maher, Jr.) born January 20, 1956 is an American stand-up comedian, television host, social and political commentator, and author. Before his current role as the host of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, Maher hosted a similar late-night talk show called Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central an ...[text shortened]... re is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't..."

* You: ?[/b]
    Bigfoot 6.9
    Unicorns 6.99
    Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy 6.999
    Zeus, Odin, polytheistic gods 6.9999
    Christian God, Flying Spaghetti Monster, all-powerful monotheistic gods 6.99999

When there is no reproducible evidence supporting an idea: the more implausible the idea is, the closer to 7.0 I get.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 21:461 edit
    1.0 Why? Because I'm confident in the Integrity and Immutability of Sovereign God: "For this reason I also suffer these things [persecutions] but am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." 2 Timothy 1:12 ["A joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation in Him who is the author of hope and is its foundation. Elpis was used of confidence or trust in the character and nature of God rather than upon self and circumstances and thus was used objectively; the Koine elpis has a positive connotation and denoted confidence in the future rather than the pessimistic attitude toward life which permeated Greek and Stoic thought." http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1680] I respect Dawkins' objectity with his [6.9].
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 22:07
    [b]On a Scale of 1 to 7

"Bill Maher (William "Bill" Maher, Jr.) born January 20, 1956 is an American stand-up comedian, /b]
    That sir is up for debate.
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 22:27
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    Bigfoot 6.9
    Unicorns 6.99
    Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy 6.999
    Zeus, Odin, polytheistic gods 6.9999
    Christian God, Flying Spaghetti Monster, all-powerful monotheistic gods 6.99999

When there is no reproducible evidence supporting an idea: the more implausible the idea is, the closer to 7.0 I get.
    I like this one, and my position is similar.

I would say that more likely than Santa Clause, Unicorns or the gods of any world religions is that the entire universe is a computer simulation. In which case the coder of that simulation is 'God'. But this would be the kind of god who sets the initial conditions then plays no further active part. However, since we have no evidence that we are actually in a simulation, my default position on that one is also very close to 7.

Penguin
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 22:29
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 23:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    That sir is up for debate.
    Hey, whodey. Help us out here: his name; or nickname; or his date of birth; or his profession; or his 38th ranking?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 00:07
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I like this one, and my position is similar.

I would say that more likely than Santa Clause, Unicorns or the gods of any world religions is that the entire universe is a computer simulation. In which case the coder of that simulation is 'God'. But this would be the kind of god who sets the initial conditions then plays no further active part. However, si ...[text shortened]... re actually in a simulation, my default position on that one is also very close to 7.

Penguin
    Hi, Penguin; how about the Tooth Fairy? Hmm... isn't that figment somewhat real to the young?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree