1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 01:21
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Does the same hold true for talking pancakes, flying spaghetti monsters and werewolves?
    Yes, I have faith that they do not exist. I'm less solid on werewolves, but not by much, maybe a 6.9 on werewolves.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 01:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hey, whodey. Help us out here: his name; or nickname; or his date of birth; or his profession; or his 38th ranking?
    I gather he doesn't find Bill Maher particularly funny.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 01:26
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I gather he doesn't find Bill Maher particularly funny.
    Could be. Maher's veiled cynicism isn't always overcome by his comedic conversational routines. (imo)
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 02:151 edit
    "On a Scale of 1 to 7": "... 1 being absolute certain there is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't..."

* Richard Dawkins: 6.9
    "Even Richard Dawkins a man whose name has become synonymous with atheism says he puts a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being absolute certain there is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't, and he says even he's a 6.9. Because no one knows for sure what's out there. He says yes there could be a god and there could be a spaghetti monster out there, but it doesn't look like it."

* caissad4: 6.8

* Great King Rat: 7

* googlefudge: 7-e as e tends to zero

* wolfgang59: 7-x... x --> 0 as wolfgang --> old currently 6.99999999999999

* Suzianne: 1.0

* PatNovak: Bigfoot 6.9 Unicorns 6.99 Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy 6.999 Zeus, Odin, polytheistic gods 6.9999 Christian God, Flying Spaghetti Monster, all-powerful monotheistic gods 6.99999. When there is no reproducible evidence supporting an idea: the more implausible the idea is, the closer to 7.0 I get.

* Penguin: I like this one, and my position is similar. I would say that more likely than Santa Clause, Unicorns or the gods of any world religions is that the entire universe is a computer simulation. In which case the coder of that simulation is 'God'. But this would be the kind of god who sets the initial conditions then plays no further active part. However, since we have no evidence that we are actually in a simulation, my default position on that one is also very close to 7.

* Grampy Bobby: 1.0 Why? Because I'm confident in the Integrity and Immutability of Sovereign God: "For this reason I also suffer these things [persecutions] but am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." 2 Timothy 1:12 ["A joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation in Him who is the author of hope and is its foundation. Elpis was used of confidence or trust in the character and nature of God rather than upon self and circumstances and thus was used objectively; the Koine elpis has a positive connotation and denoted confidence in the future rather than the pessimistic attitude toward life which permeated Greek and Stoic thought." http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1680] I respect Dawkins' objectivity with his [6.9].

* whodey: That sir is up for debate.

* SwissGambit: 6.9
  5. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 02:213 edits
    Does the same hold true for talking pancakes, flying spaghetti monsters and werewolves?
    My son, 11, told me of those flying spaghetti monsters. I believe in Tolkien's Ents to.

(1) absolutely no doubt in my mind
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 06:49
    Yes, I have faith that they do not exist. I'm less solid on werewolves, but not by much, maybe a 6.9 on werewolves.
    Why do you have faith they do not exist?

You reckon there's a possibility that some people might transmorph into a wolf like creature under the influence of a full moon, will attack and eat other wild animals and people, can be killed specifically by using a silver bullet and will transmorph back into a human form when the full moon disappears?
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 16:41
    "a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being absolute certain there is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't..."
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 16:46
    Why do you have faith they do not exist?

You reckon there's a possibility that some people might transmorph into a wolf like creature under the influence of a full moon, will attack and eat other wild animals and people, can be killed specifically by using a silver bullet and will transmorph back into a human form when the full moon disappears?
    Figure it out. Like a 0.1 out of 7 chance.

The tales don't exist for no reason.

My 6.9 only says there is a miniscule chance. Most likely these stories were told of rabid wolves and the like.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 18:57
    [b]On a Scale of 1 to 7

"Bill Maher (William "Bill" Maher, Jr.) born January 20, 1956 is an American stand-up comedian, television host, social and political commentator, and author. Before his current role as the host of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, Maher hosted a similar late-night talk show called Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central an ...[text shortened]... re is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't..."

* Richard Dawkins: 6.9

* You: ?[/b]
    6.9r
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 19:18
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    6.9r
    that's a 7 then! 😉
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 19:422 edits
    This thread is amusing to me. It clearly shows what I started a thread months ago about. All these atheists like to unequivocally state that they have no doubt God doesn't exist. And still, they only profess a 6.9 out of 7 (most, anyways). Wouldn't 7 out of 7 be a definite NO to God?

Maybe that's it. And it speaks to that thread I was talking about where I wondered why atheists refuse to say they reject God.

7 out of 7 would definitely be a rejection of God, in my mind. Yet again, we see almost no 7's. We rather see 6.9's, even from people who say they have no doubt God doesn't exist, as if these people were somehow not exactly rejecting God.

Even wolfgang and googlefudge, maybe two of the more devout atheists, and even they say "7-e" or "7-x", as if to say, "I'm absolutely certain, but I don't want to be actually 'seen' as saying it."

As I said, it's amusing to me.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 19:54
    This thread is amusing to me. It clearly shows what I started a thread months ago about. All these atheists like to unequivocally state that they have no doubt God doesn't exist. And still, they only profess a 6.9 out of 7 (most, anyways). Wouldn't 7 out of 7 be a definite NO to God?

Maybe that's it. And it speaks to that thread I was talking about ...[text shortened]... certain, but I don't want to be actually 'seen' as saying it."

Well we like to keep you amused!

I think most (sticking my neck out here!) infidels are practical, logical
    people and know that it is impossible to disprove the existence of any
    imaginery being. They are being honest.

What amuses me is that no theist has come up with 1.000001

We all know we cannot trust any of our senses, we cannot trust our
    own minds (witness how easily manipulated we can be) so to say one
    is 100% sure god exists is quite bonkers.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 20:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What amuses me is that no theist has come up with 1.000001

We all know we cannot trust any of our senses, we cannot trust our
    own minds (witness how easily manipulated we can be) so to say one
    is 100% sure god exists is quite bonkers.
    And quite faithful. I could not answer any other way. It's impossible.
  14. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 20:25

Maybe that's it. And it speaks to that thread I was talking about ...[text shortened]... certain, but I don't want to be actually 'seen' as saying it."

The reluctance of the 6.9's (including Dawkins) to say 7.0 is because of only one reason: a negative cannot be proven. It is not because we are unsure of our position. It is merely in deference to the rules of logic.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 20:42
    Figure it out. Like a 0.1 out of 7 chance.

The tales don't exist for no reason.

My 6.9 only says there is a miniscule chance. Most likely these stories were told of rabid wolves and the like.
    I wasn't asking about rabid wolves. I was asking about werewolves.

Why do you have faith that the FSM does not exist but can you not say the same thing about werewolves?

There are also tales about the FSM.

How about Dracula? Plenty of tales about that undead dude.

One of the things that I'm trying to understand is your use of the word faith.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree