1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 19:00
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Theories are theories; ...
    I hope you don't mean that theories are not more than guesses?

Wikipedia says that "In science, the word theory is used as a plausible general principle or body of principles offered to explain a phenomenon."

I read a course in the University departement of Mathematics once, named "Integration Theory", and believe me on this, every step was proved in its finest details, no guessing here.

Some people, not familiar with scientific methods, thinks that a theory is a mere guessing. "Atomic theory, yeah, they're just guessing, there are no atoms, because nothing is said about atoms in the bible because god didn't want it that way. Atheists with their theories, they are just guessing..." 🙂
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I hope you don't mean that theories are not more than guesses?

Wikipedia says that "In science, the word theory is used as a plausible general principle or body of principles offered to explain a phenomenon."

I read a course in the University departement of Mathematics once, named "Integration Theory", and believe me on this, every step was proved i ...[text shortened]... od didn't want it that way. Atheists with their theories, they are just guessing..." 🙂
    We agree. I also agree with Mr. Hamilton over here, as he expresses hiself just a post before the one of yours to which I now reply.

I trust not Wiki, but also I agree with your comment.

However my point is that theories are theories, and that every fractal of thought must be appreciated and cross-checked accordingly; I am aware of the fact that we have tools in order to understand what we know and what we ignore, yet sometimes this becomes a hard task. The fact that I know not something Today means not that I will be Forever unable to know. And, regarding the origin of Life, the fact that we know not the whole plexus behind it, it means not that we will be Forever ignorant. Yes, maybe we wil never know, this is a probbility. But we surely know that we just don't know -Today. Therefore I will not state that whatever I know not Today is created by "god".

My Gota enemy take it otherways too: we use to proceed with our five senses, and some people want to know what is the so called "sixth sense". Oh well, the "sixth sense" is obviously the mind, and this sense is seeminly supernaturaly powerfull; thanks to the Science, Today we are free from the emanations of the Forms. So it seems to me that, thanks to the evaluation of the mind, the Human can break free from the emanations of his ideas.

So, when I say that "theories are just theories" I am talking about the ability of the mind. No mind, no nothing. Mind gives birth to the ideas (to the idea of "god" in our case), but the mind is not created by "god". The fish comes from the water, but the water comes not from the fish. If you want to see the fish, you see at first the water. And when you see the fish you forget the water. So when you see "god" you forget your mind. But without your mind there is no "god". And without "god" there is no mind.

Nothing Holy
    😵
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:30
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [
    1, “we do not know what created/caused X”

that:

2, “a god must have created/caused X”.[/b]
    From an atheist point of view:

1. "We do not know what created/caused X"

But:

2. "a God could not have created/caused X"

Or put another way:

1. "We know that X was caused/created by something other than God"

Even though:

2. "We cannot replicate the process ourselves"
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:40
    Originally posted by whodey

But:

Or put another way:

Even though:

--"We do not know what the rainbow is", sid the Chief to the Priest
    --"The rainbow is a divine message" replied the Priest

😵
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:451 edit
    --"We do not know what the rainbow is", sid the Chief to the Priest
    --"The rainbow is a divine message" replied the Priest

😵
    Do you know what makes an atheist an atheist? It is fanaticism because they can't stand being called an agnostic. They can't stand even the suggestion that God might exist.

Do you know what the difference between an agnostic and an atheist? An agnostic doesn't have the gonads to be an atheist. 😛
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:49

But:

Or put another way:

Even though:

...Or put another way:

--"We know that the rainbow is a natural phainomenon. And we had to wait until Newton to replicate the process ourselves", replied yesterday the 8 year old kid to his teacher
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:51
    Do you know what makes an atheist an atheist? It is fanaticism because they can't stand being called an agnostic. They can't stand even the suggestion that God might exist.

Do you know what the difference between an agnostic and an atheist? An agnostic doesn't have the gonads to be an atheist. 😛
    Well
    This miserable black beetle is an atheist

However a fanatic I am not;

Please do comment!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:53
    ...Or put another way:

--"We know that the rainbow is a natural phainomenon. And we had to wait until Newton to replicate the process ourselves", replied yesterday the 8 year old kid to his teacher
    Is life a "natural" phenomenon? Looking around the universe it looks pretty unnatural to me.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:54
    Well
    This miserable black beetle is an atheist

However a fanatic I am not;

Please do comment!
    You insist that a God cannot exist, no? If so, why?
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:54
    Is life a "natural" phenomenon? Looking around the universe it looks pretty unnatural to me.
    It looks pretty unnatural to

You
    😵
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:56
    It looks pretty unnatural to

You
    😵
    I think its what drives scientists crazy as they look for other life forms seemingly in vein in places like Mars that at one point should have been able to produce life at one point.
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 05:58
    You insist that a God cannot exist, no? If so, why?
    Who is the "god" about whom you are talking about?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 06:01
    Who is the "god" about whom you are talking about?
    Why does that matter? I thought being an atheist means you believe that NO God could exist?
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 06:01
    I think its what drives scientists crazy as they look for other life forms seemingly in vein in places like Mars that at one point should have been able to produce life at one point.
    If you try hard to find diamonds at the square d2 under the white pawn after 1.d4 and you drive crazy because you cannot find some after all those games, I agree that you may drive a bit loco😵
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 06:07
    Why does that matter? I thought being an atheist means you believe that NO God could exist?
    "God" is an invention of the Human. So, kindly please let me know your thoughts;

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree