1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 22:161 edit
    So God says something along the lines of "Eat the fruit of any tree in the garden except this one". And Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. God is angry at the disobedience and punishes the pair and all their descendants.

We are told that the forbidden fruit imparts knowledge of good and evil and this is why God had told them not to eat it. the implication is surely that before eating the fruit, Adam and Eve did not know the difference between good and evil. So God is punishing disobedience in someone who had no concept of disobedience being a bad thing.

Is this not like punishing a colourblind person for not being able to distinguish between red and green?

How do Christians reconcile this with the concept of a just and loving God?

--- Penguin.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 22:381 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    So God says something along the lines of "Eat the fruit of any tree in the garden except this one". And Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. God is angry at the disobedience and punishes the pair and all their descendants.

We are told that the forbidden fruit imparts knowledge of good and evil and this is why God had told them not to eat it. the implicat ...[text shortened]...

--- Penguin.
    I'm a Christian with a B. A. in Philosophy and have trouble believing or justifying about 99% of the Bible (at least the parts that I've read).

I'm a Christian probably because of mental illness.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 23:16
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I'm a Christian with a B. A. in Philosophy and have trouble believing or justifying about 99% of the Bible (at least the parts that I've read).

Yeah: we've heard that one before. Got anything new?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 23:22

We are told that the forbidden fruit imparts knowledge of good and evil and this is why God had told them not to eat it. the implicat ...[text shortened]...

--- Penguin.
    The difficulty is in your understanding of language, apparently. Prior to the eating of the fruit, good and evil did not exist... at least, not for either of them. Hoiwever, as you have already clearly communicated, that wasn't the choice. The choice was either life or death.

Either they continue to eat the fruit of the trees given (and thus perpetuate life), or eat the fruit from the one forbidden tree (which would impart death)--- dying, you shall die.

Not difficult to reconcile at all, really.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 23:27
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Yeah: we've heard that one before. Got anything new?
    No.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 09:241 edit

--- Penguin.
    Well I guess that is why our walk with God is called a walk of faith. We see in part, we know in part, but he sees and knows in full. Therefore, we must trust in him in that he knows and sees in full and that he is benevolent towards us, hence the word faith enters the picture. This relationship has not changed since the first man and woman that walked the face of the earth. In fact, if God be God there is no other relationship possible between man and God.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 09:421 edit
    The difficulty is in your understanding of language, apparently. Prior to the eating of the fruit, good and evil did not exist... at least, not for either of them. Hoiwever, as you have already clearly communicated, that wasn't the choice. The choice was either life or death.

Either they continue to eat the fruit of the trees given (and thus perpetua ...[text shortened]... hich would impart death)--- dying, you shall die.

I don't think you have answered the question at all. If Adam and Eve were capable of making the right choice why didn't they? Why were they offered the choice in the first place?

If evil did not exist then how could the tree provide knowledge of it? Was the snake not evil (ie good). Was what Adam and Eve did also good? Or do you mean that evil was being kept away from them? Except apparently for the evil snake and the evil choice etc etc.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 10:121 edit

We are told that the forbidden fruit imparts knowledge of good and evil and this is why God had told them not to eat it. the implication is surely that before eating the fruit, Adam and Eve did not know the difference between good and evil.
    the devil said that; he's a liar.
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 21:02

Either they continue to eat the fruit of the trees given (and thus perpetua ...[text shortened]... hich would impart death)--- dying, you shall die.

Does it say good and evil did not exist before they ate the fruit? It's not called the tree of creation of Good and Evil, it's called the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

They were told they would die if they ate the fruit, however that was only the case if God expelled them from the garden. If he had allowed them to stay and they had then eaton from the Tree of Life, they would not have died. So God was still punishing them for an act that they could not understand was evil. It's still analogous to punishing a colourblind person for being able to distinguish red from green.

--- Penguin.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 21:36

--- Penguin.
    It's just a story full of imagery and metaphor. I think we take it too seriously and literally. The basic message is that somewhere along the line man went his own way and fell out of fellowship with God and he's been trying to restore it (NT).
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 21:59

We're all mentally ill to one degree or another.
    You need a mentor.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 03:51

Heh.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 04:13
    Originally posted by josephw
    You need a mentor.
    By "we" do you mean Christians?
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 11:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    You need a mentor.
    Maybe he should call his psychotherapist.

Better yet, maybe you should recommend one... 😉
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 11:04

--- Penguin.
    Creation Mythology.

End of Thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree