1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 08:20
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Bottom line is if the oceans die, we die.
    Man has caused this and only God can stop it......
    Ok god (which one!) .. over to you!

(I suppose if we don't all die your prophecy is true?)
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 09:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Give us some evidence that the world is not improving.
    I gave the same challenge to Suzianne and she went mysteriously quiet.

The fact is; despite wars and global warming etc. we are (on average)
    better off now than any time in history.
    It's all relative to what one wants to see. If you feel it is getting better, that is what you'll see. Many things are better and I'm not disputing that.
    But again if ones particular area, country, job, etc is prospering then one feels good about life and humans tend to not always look at the big picture of the rest of the earth when things are going good.
    Unfortunently we tend to not always want to believe that something bad is real or they'll worry about it later just as thousands have felt when warned to leave before a hurricane lands on their front door.
    Now we have a situation that the majority of the world is not aware of or that ignors the proof of coming danger as their lifes may be doing great on some level.
    This situation that all these links are showing which comes from many sources agree with the facts that unless man STOPS NOW the things that we've all been a part of over the last hundred years to cause this we only have about 30 years left for life as we know it.
    In reality man will not stop it as too many really don't want to, don't care or just don't believe it.
    For it to work all countries in the world would have to stop using fossil fuel TODAY for all transportation, heating, lighting, etc and we all know that will not happen.
    So no I'm not going to post proof, it is everywhere one can look from many sources. If one wants to take just a few minutes to see for themselves it is easily found.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 09:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Ok god (which one!) .. over to you!

(I suppose if we don't all die your prophecy is true?)
    What? What prophecy are you talking of? I'm making no claim to be doing anything of the sort.....
    Maybe get serious for a minute and watch a couple of the links I posted?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 10:37
    And no there is nothing I, one human, can do against the powers of this world. Neither can you so what's the point in your question?
    There is nothing you can do? What exactly are these 'powers' that are totally immune to your actions?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 10:411 edit
    It's all relative to what one wants to see. If you feel it is getting better, that is what you'll see.
    Thats why such claims should not be based on how you feel, but on actual statistics.

But again if ones particular area, country, job, etc is prospering then one feels good about life and humans tend to not always look at the big picture of the rest of the earth when things are going good.
    So give us actual statistics abou the rest of the world that support your claim.

Now we have a situation that the majority of the world is not aware of or that ignors the proof of coming danger as their lifes may be doing great on some level.
    So you actually agree that the majority of the world feels better off?

This situation that all these links are showing which comes from many sources agree with the facts that unless man STOPS NOW the things that we've all been a part of over the last hundred years to cause this we only have about 30 years left for life as we know it.
    So your claim is not about the current state of man but the future state of man if we don't deal with long term issues like natural resources and global warming?

edit: you don't actually dispute Rajk999s statement:
    The world continues to become a better and better place to live.

as far as it applies to the state of the world till now. It is only the future of that trend that you dispute?
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 10:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is nothing you can do? What exactly are these 'powers' that are totally immune to your actions?
    The profit motive is what provides the positive feedback loops that keep people doing things that are causing irreparable harm to the environment even though they can plainly see its ill effects. It's business as usual.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 11:31
    What? What prophecy are you talking of? I'm making no claim to be doing anything of the sort.....
    Maybe get serious for a minute and watch a couple of the links I posted?
    You claimed we had 30 years left.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 11:45
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You claimed we had 30 years left.
    It doesn't exactly take a "prophet" to extrapolate all the data on environmental degradation and foresee a dismal end to the status quo if those ends are not departed from. We are already seeing harbingers of that outcome, and although its full effect will probably not be manifest within 30 years, they certainly will be within 100.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 11:47
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It doesn't exactly take a "prophet" to extrapolate all the data on environmental degradation and foresee a dismal end to the status quo if those ends are not departed from. We are already seeing harbingers of that outcome, and although its full effect will probably not be manifest within 30 years, they certainly will be within 100.
    What's the 'dismal end' in your view?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 11:59
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    What's the 'dismal end' in your view?
    Worst case scenario: Ecosystem collapse. Financial collapse (both are interrelated). Social unrest. Famine. Societal collapse. The death of perhaps billions of people. Eventually this would stabilize in a vastly changed earth with a greatly reduced human population.

We have all we need now to avert that worst case scenario. But the positive feedback loops provided by the profit motive almost ensure that we will fail to do so.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 12:06
    The profit motive is what provides the positive feedback loops that keep people doing things that are causing irreparable harm to the environment even though they can plainly see its ill effects. It's business as usual.
    And your actions can have no effect whatsoever on this 'profit motive'? Yet you keep posting.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 12:10
    We have all we need now to avert that worst case scenario. But the positive feedback loops provided by the profit motive almost ensure that we will fail to do so.
    I don't believe it is the 'profit motive' at fault. I believe it has more to do with your short cycle political systems and our generally short term thinking that humans have.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 12:53
    And your actions can have no effect whatsoever on this 'profit motive'? Yet you keep posting.
    It is my hope that my actions will have some effect. As long as the possibility exists, it must be tried. But it is a slim hope.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 12:54
    I don't believe it is the 'profit motive' at fault. I believe it has more to do with your short cycle political systems and our generally short term thinking that humans have.
    The political system we have is a direct result of the profit motive in action.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 19:342 edits
    Yes it has been said 100 years from what i've seen or heard also. But since the new data has come out about the 95% statement that they are sure that humans are the cause of global warming, they are rethinking the damages that global warming is doing in a more accelerated amount then previously thought. A couple of those links discuss that.
    They may be misunderstanding my comments as I'm not saying that humans are doomed in thirty years and will all die then.
    I'm saying that by what is coming out from the science world that in thirty years or possibly less the tipping point will be passed that will eventually lead to humans struggling to survive from that point on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree