1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 20:211 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I hope your not serious. Maybe you are fortunate that you live in some beautiful place on the earth, good for you, but wow are you out of touch.
    Above was your reply to
    The world continues to become a better and better place to live.

I was agreeing with the poster, the world continues to be a better place.
    Your response of rabbiting on about 30 years time is irrelevant to this point.
    Right NOW we are better off than we have ever been.

Agree? Or show some stats to the contrary!
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 20:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Above was your reply to

[b]Right NOW we are better off than we have ever been.

Agree? Or show some stats to the contrary![/b]
    As I answered earlier, I did say that yes on many things we are better off then any humans before us, did I not?
    I'm not blind to the advances in science, the medical field and a higher standard of living in many countries. I never argued with that, did I?
    But the fact is is that we may be sailing on a beautiful ship that we call progress and it does look awesome at times. But this ship is ruining the earth and plowing over all the important things needed NOW to save the planet.
    Again if you are interested at all, do the simple research that anyone can do to see the facts.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 21:16
    As I answered earlier, I did say that yes on many things we are better off then any humans before us, did I not?
    I'm not blind to the advances in science, the medical field and a higher standard of living in many countries. I never argued with that, did I?
    But the fact is is that we may be sailing on a beautiful ship that we call progress and it does ...[text shortened]... Again if you are interested at all, do the simple research that anyone can do to see the facts.
    As usual you side-step a simple question. 😴
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 22:37
    As usual you side-step a simple question. 😴
    I did.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 03:04
    Thanks Manny.
    Knowing what the Bible says about armegeddon and it also warning that "God will bring to ruin those ruinning the earth" is a serious clue to what would be happening in the last days.
    Of course we all hope that many things would change for the better because of millions of people suffering and dying every day. We've all seen the stats ...[text shortened]... nt horsemen.
    Now we have proof from many sources that our planet is in very serious trouble...
    yeah man will be the cause of his own demise no argument there.....but all I was saying is the verdict is still out

Manny
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 13:03
    Above was your reply to

[b]Right NOW we are better off than we have ever been.

Agree? Or show some stats to the contrary![/b]
    I'm afraid you are quite mistaken. The status of the world 30 years hence is directly relevant, because our current levels of profligacy are being purchased at the expense of future generations. We are currently consuming the resources of 1.4 Earths. Needless to say, this state of affairs cannot continue indefinitely. And when we have pushed the Earth into a series of ecosystem collapses, I doubt very much that those future generations will look upon our time as a golden era.
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 13:32
    Give us some evidence that the world is not improving.
    I gave the same challenge to Suzianne and she went mysteriously quiet.

The fact is; despite wars and global warming etc. we are (on average)
    better off now than any time in history.
    You are quite vague about "better off". Do you mean that living in a world of internet sexual predators children are better off than say 1973? Are you saying that we would even be better off if we were living in an ice age? Perhaps your logic stymied Suzianne from giving you a rational response as she may believe you are a lost cause? Points to ponder.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    yeah man will be the cause of his own demise no argument there.....but all I was saying is the verdict is still out

Manny
    Thanks... The frightning issue of course is we don't know where that tipping point is. We've never been here and for every ten things we know and understand, there could of course be hundreds we don't.
    This really is showing the wisdom of God and how he created our earth to take care of our every needs. But we haven't returned that back in taking care of it.
    The Bible says " it is not up to man to direct his own steps" or the "blind leading the blind" and many more to show how much we really don't know and should have been letting God take care of us as he designed. But instead man as a whole has turned their backs on him.....

If and when things eventually go really bad for us on this planet, I wonder how many non believeing in a God people start to rethink that thought?
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 15:39
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    You are quite vague about "better off". Do you mean that living in a world of internet sexual predators children are better off than say 1973? Are you saying that we would even be better off if we were living in an ice age? Perhaps your logic stymied Suzianne from giving you a rational response as she may believe you are a lost cause? Points to ponder.
    He likes to pretend that the wonders of modern dentistry can be examined separately from environmental degradation, but it's a package deal. There's no way to separate the two.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 15:40
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    You are quite vague about "better off". Do you mean that living in a world of internet sexual predators children are better off than say 1973?
    Whats your opinion on the matter? Do you believe sexual predators have increased in frequency? Do you believe more of them get away with it?
    Just curious, because I do not have any stats either way. I do think that children are generally better off though. I know that I would have benefited enormously if I had internet when I was a child, just as I am benefiting enormously from it as an adult.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 15:45
    Originally posted by rwingett
    He likes to pretend that the wonders of modern dentistry can be examined separately from environmental degradation, but it's a package deal. There's no way to separate the two.
    Do your doomesday scenarios result in general poverty going back to pre world war II levels? Do they include the amount of suffering experienced during world war II?
    Do you expect life expectancy to drop and roughly by how much?
    Zambia's life expectancy is still somewhere around 40 or below. I believe it was even lower just before treatment for AIDS became readily available.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 15:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Whats your opinion on the matter? Do you believe sexual predators have increased in frequency? Do you believe more of them get away with it?
    Just curious, because I do not have any stats either way. I do think that children are generally better off though. I know that I would have benefited enormously if I had internet when I was a child, just as I am benefiting enormously from it as an adult.
    There has always been bad. No arguement there at all. But just asking, as opposed to say just a two hundred years ago, do you think children are better off now with the sex slave trade that is going on now world wide? How many children die every day because of bad water or little or no food? How about sicknesses? How about just being kidnapped for who knows what purposses? Just a few examples.
    Just asking.......
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 15:59
    There has always been bad. No arguement there at all. But just asking, as opposed to say just a two hundred years ago, do you think children are better off now with the sex slave trade that is going on now world wide? How many children die every day because of bad water or little or no food? How about sicknesses? How about just being kidnapped for who knows what purposses? Just a few examples.
    Just asking.......
    200 yrs ago there were all of that and more.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 16:05
    Just asking.......
    Here's some stats for you on Victorian England. This was written in 1942 -

In the England of 1840 the average age of death was twenty-nine, today [1942] it is fifty-eight. …the babies of 1840 suffered an appalling mortality. To-day one child in seventeen dies before it is a year old, but in 1840 the figure was about one in six, and about a third of the children born died before the age of five….Infants died of convulsions, diarroea, and atrophy, the latter being a polite term for starvation.

The fact that in 1937 some twenty-six thousand English people died of tuberculosis will no doubt seem appalling to our descendants [yes, it does], but only a small minority of the people of to-day, whether through ignorance or indifference, allow themselves to be troubled by it, especially as the position has long been steadily improving. The attitude of the men of 1840 was similar. The general death-rate did not seem at all shocking, for it was probably better than it had ever been. In the undrained slum areas of some industrial towns the average age of death was thirteen.

The death rate in 1840 England was 23 per 1,000. In the early 18th century it’s estimated that the death rate was 80 per 1,000. To put that in context, Sierra Leone currently has the worst death rate in the world: 22.1 per 1,000.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/life-expectancy-of-13-thats-victoria-values-for-you-17571.html
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 16:12
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Here's some stats for you on Victorian England. This was written in 1942 -

[quote]In the England of 1840 the average age of death was twenty-nine, today [1942] it is fifty-eight. …the babies of 1840 suffered an appalling mortality. To-day one child in seventeen dies before it is a year old, but in 1840 the figure was about one in six, and about a thir ...[text shortened]... 0.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/life-expectancy-of-13-thats-victoria-values-for-you-17571.html
    Bad stuff for sure. The bible says that things would go "from bad to worse" and on a global scale it has.
    How about hunger?
    How about just from 1 country every day, 365 days a year?
    I think that's a little over a million a year?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/02/16/10424930-indias-hunger-shame-3000-children-die-every-day-despite-economic-growth?lite

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree