1. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 17:32
    ooohhhh!! My brain hurts after reading threads in this forum. It's a good hurt.
    With so much intelligence in this site, I shall never run out of ideas for debate! It's interesting to read about the goodah buddah or the big bad bible or even the overly-trodden evolution revolution; I love to read the entries and see into the spirit of people like Ivanhoe or Serendipity or Halitose and others. I do truly appreciate you guys.
    One thing that truly brings pain in my brain is the one thing that allows us the ability to think.
    Consider our brain... made up of cells, dna, molecular constructs, atoms whirling together in uncountable quantities (some have more... some have less) patterned in such a way that original though can be exchanged with others. Can someone tell us, in an intelligent manner, where atoms came from and how they were arranged in such a way as to produce a brain that can convey intelligent thought?
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 23:34
    Originally posted by krisvictor
    Can someone tell us, in an intelligent manner, where atoms came from and how they were arranged in such a way as to produce a brain that can convey intelligent thought?
    lol. Quite the taksmaster, you are. Do you have any revolutionary ideas?
  3. Standard membermantawa
    Muffin
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 02:33
    Muffydunnit
  4. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 07:17
    Originally posted by David C
    lol. Quite the taksmaster, you are. Do you have any revolutionary ideas?
    I would have to agree that it would have to be a revolutionary idea because I just cannot see how atoms came by evolution. Unless... of course... there might have been... you know... atomic dinosaurs that walked the atomic universe googgillion years ago; And eventually evolving to the atoms we know of today. Yeah! Maybe? Possibly!?
    Just imagine (in very tiny pictures) the atomonkeys of yesteryears climbing (sideways spinning) down from their atomic trees and start to spin straight (instead of sideways) with their quarks and leptons and other subatomic particles spinning in the way we know today.
    Or maybe I should just keep my imagination to myself and just play chess?
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
  5. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 07:22
    Originally posted by mantawa
    Muffydunnit
    I had a muffin once... I ate it. (ok.. I had more than one)
    Yes.. I like muffins...
    No... I don't know muffy.

What did muffy do and can he/she/it/they play chess?

๐Ÿ™„ <---- muffy?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 23:23
    ooohhhh!! My brain hurts after reading threads in this forum. It's a good hurt.
    With so much intelligence in this site, I shall never run out of ideas for debate! It's interesting to read about the goodah buddah or the big bad bible or even the overly-trodden evolution revolution; I love to read the entries and see into the spirit of people like Ivanho ...[text shortened]... how they were arranged in such a way as to produce a brain that can convey intelligent thought?
    Atoms are the way subatomic particles naturally organize themselves because of the action of the natural forces of the universe.

Similarly, atoms naturally organize into molecules. According to someone (I don't know who came up with this or why), the Earth long ago had water and a primitive atmosphere which contained oxygen, nitrogen and some other atoms. Under these conditions, nucleotide triphosphates (NTPs) and amino acids spontaneously form when energy is added to the mix as Miller and others have demonstrated. NTPs are hypothesized to spontaneously polymerize when they are concentrated in aqueous solution. Such concentration might plausibly occur in tidal pools exposed to heat such that water with NTPs would slosh in and then the water evaporate due to the heat.

Once these ribonucleic acid polymers (RNA) formed, they could catalyze their own reproduction via base pairing with NTPs. RNA can act as other catalysts as well.

An evolutionary process would have begun in which the RNAs that reproduced most effectively would monopolize the supply of NTPs. Mutations in the RNAs would introduce variation and natural selection would weed out the less successful variations.

Phospholipid vesicles form spontaneously in water. RNA that was trapped within such vesicles would be at an evolutionary advantage as it would be easier for NTPs to get in than for the larger RNA products to get out. As more and more RNA molecules filled the vesicle, and maybe more phospholipid molecules enlarged the bilayer, the vesicle would bud off new protocells. The evolutionary process would work on these protocells to form true prokaryotic cells, and then would work on these over long periods of time to gradually form multicellular eukaryotic life. Nervous tissue evolved and it's organization evolved until the human brain came to be. Natural selection and variation (whether due to mutations and/or some sort of Lamarkian effect) is what drove evolution.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 23:24
    I would have to agree that it would have to be a revolutionary idea because I just cannot see how atoms came by evolution. Unless... of course... there might have been... you know... atomic dinosaurs that walked the atomic universe googgillion years ago; And eventually evolving to the atoms we know of today. Yeah! Maybe? Possibly!?
    Just imagine (in ve ...[text shortened]... we know today.
    Or maybe I should just keep my imagination to myself and just play chess?
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The Theory of Evolution describes how the life we see today came to be as descendents of the first cells. It does not talk about how atoms came to be, though some sort of evolutionary concepts might be involved.
  8. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 23:31
    Yes.. I like muffins...

๐Ÿ™„ <---- muffy?
    OK , fess up - you're SVW after electro-shock therapy . It's ok , Mikey . We understand .
  9. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 02:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Theory of Evolution describes how the life we see today came to be as descendents of the first cells. It does not talk about how atoms came to be, though some sort of evolutionary concepts might be involved.
    ok... I'm taking an aspirin with my muffin. And then I'm taking this muffin into consideration. Here I sit... with my muffin imagining all these atoms coming together and forming this particularly tasty muffin in my hand.
    Atoms, as we know today, are composed of differrent particles of different charges/energy levels/movement/direction. Atomic particles, as we know today, are considered as having mass. Mass, in any quantity be it sub-atomic or elephantine in size, must have come from somewhere. As we learn more about the physics of atoms, we find we know very little about it. The very design of each atomic structure, is, in itself a wonder to behold. So, I wonder where it came from or how it came about? Until this question is answered, what's the point in discussing the Theory of Evolution?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 05:47
    Yes.. I like muffins...

๐Ÿ™„ <---- muffy?
    Heathen! Who art thou and why dost thou mockest the ALL-SEEING EYES of MUFFY!?!?!

Thou shalt be cast into the outer donut, a place with a deep void in its center -- a place wherefore heathens shall be eternally separated from the gooey, warm center of muffy.
  11. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 13:44
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Heathen! Who art thou and why dost thou mockest the ALL-SEEING EYES of MUFFY!?!?!

Thou shalt be cast into the outer donut, a place with a deep void in its center -- a place wherefore heathens shall be eternally separated from the gooey, warm center of muffy.
    Yes.. I be the heathen.. The mighty-muffin-eatin-heathen.
    Ummm.. If muffy is "all-seeing", why would there be a need for more than one eye? Maybe for the stereoscoptic effect?
    (quote) "ALL-SEEING EYES of MUFFY!?!?!" (un-quote)
    I must have eaten a bad muffin... I don't understand the "deep void" comment. If it's a void... how can it be deep?
    Are there atomonkeys in a void? If there is, then is it truly a void? I must admit, I avoid voids as much as I can. If one does not avoid a void, then the void is un-avoidably un-voided. Then, we can play chess in what once was a void. This cannot be avoided.
    Oh... one more thing.. once I eat my muffy, then I can never be separated from the gooey, warm center of muffy because now, muffy is in the gooey, warm center of me! mwa-hahahahahahaha!
  12. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    04 Aug '05 17:24
    How is easy, why is not.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Aug '05 17:58
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    OK , fess up - you're SVW after electro-shock therapy . It's ok , Mikey . We understand .
    Fess up, you miss him, don't you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree