1. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 17:04
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

what a nonsense he seems to forget that you can live a good life without believing.

And would it be best to spread your chances and worship every god?😕
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 17:142 edits
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard

And would it be best to spread your chances and worship every god?😕
    Therein lies the refutation to Pascal's wager.

Pascal claims to establish that the EV of believing in God is positive.

But then you can posit the existence of a second God, who condemns you if you believe in the original God, and who saves you if you believe in himself. Then the EV of believing in this new God is positive and the total EV across both Gods vanishes. No EV can be gained by believing or disbelieving in the original God.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 17:26
    Please excuse my ignorance, but is Christianity not one of the only Religions that has absolute claims?

Don't some people of the same religion worship thousands of gods/idols?
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 18:11
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Please excuse my ignorance, but is Christianity not one of the only Religions that has absolute claims?

Don't some people of the same religion worship thousands of gods/idols?
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I cannot discern what you are trying to say.
  5. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 18:49
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

But then you can posit the existence of a second God, who condemns you if you believe in the original God, and who saves you if you believe in himself. Then the EV of believing in this new God is positive and the total EV across both Gods vanishes. No EV can be gained by believing or disbelieving in the original God.
    What do you mean by EV?😀
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 18:50
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    What do you mean by EV?😀
    Expected value, a component of the model used to analyze the wager.
  7. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 19:01

Yes, and if there is just one god then there is a chance you picked the wrong one.
  8. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 19:31
    For Christ's sake, even IF the God in his wager was the "real" God, his wager would still be inherently wrong because you don't truly "believe" in the God, you simply say so in order to avoid hell. A "true" Christian would believe in God, not because the other option is hell, not because of a numbers game, but because he/she truly believed in God. Picking a belief in God because it is the "statistically correct" option would not guarantee you a ticket to heaven. In fact, it may justify a ticket directly in the opposite direction.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 19:44
    Originally posted by telerion
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I cannot discern what you are trying to say.
    Christianity has specific absolute claims. Jesus Christ said that he was the only way through which man can come to God.

Are there any other religions that are that specific?

In the Hindu religion they have many gods. Do you have to worship all of them to go to Heaven?
  10. Colorado
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 19:49
    Originally posted by lioyank
    For Christ's sake, even IF the God in his wager was the "real" God, his wager would still be inherently wrong because you don't truly "believe" in the God, you simply say so in order to avoid hell. A "true" Christian would believe in God, not because the other option is hell, not because of a numbers game, but because he/she truly believed in God. Pi ...[text shortened]... tee you a ticket to heaven. In fact, it may justify a ticket directly in the opposite direction.
    Well put.
  11. Colorado
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 19:51
    Christianity has specific absolute claims. Jesus Christ said that he was the only way through which man can come to God.

Are there any other religions that are that specific?

In the Hindu religion they have many gods. Do you have to worship all of them to go to Heaven?
    Hindus believe in different aspects of the same God.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 19:532 edits
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Hindus believe in different aspects of the same God.
    Does the "Hindu god" (or any other god for that matter) make any claims that he will smite all non-Hindus?

Does Allah (for example) say that all non-Muslims will be cast into a lake of fire?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 20:27
    Originally posted by lioyank
    Picking a belief in God because it is the "statistically correct" option would not guarantee you a ticket to heaven. In fact, it may justify a ticket directly in the opposite direction.
    Are all rational approaches that lead one to believe unacceptable, or just this one?
  14. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 20:36
    Does the "Hindu god" (or any other god for that matter) make any claims that he will smite all non-Hindus?

Does Allah (for example) say that all non-Muslims will be cast into a lake of fire?
    You're not helping your cause here .

Btw - Other religions gods don't make such claims because they're based in love , not sado-masochism .
  15. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 20:59
    Are all rational approaches that lead one to believe unacceptable, or just this one?
    LMAO. I hope you're not implying Pascal's theory is rational...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree