1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by lioyank
    LMAO. I hope you're not implying Pascal's theory is rational...
    It is a rational approach. Its incorrectness doesn't entail that it is an irrational approach.

But I wasn't even talking about Pascal's wager in particular. I was responding to your claim that belief founded in statistical correctness - a general rational approach, of which Pascal's wager is a flawed instance - is unacceptable.

So, are all rational avenues to faith unacceptable?
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 03:302 edits
    Both lioyank and Herr Doctor are right on. Essentially the expected value calculation that Pascal wants you to compute is not impossible. In both cases the EV is not well-defined over the support.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 06:47
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    You're not helping your cause here .

Btw - Other religions gods don't make such claims because they're based in love , not sado-masochism .
    Are you saying that the other gods will not condem me for being a Christian?
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 07:39
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Are you saying that the other gods will not condem me for being a Christian?
    Quite so, matey, quite so. Even though you are a ham, they would not, could not make you flame.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 07:44
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Quite so, matey, quite so. Even though you are a ham, they would not, could not make you flame.
    Thanks.

You have just refuted the refutation of Pascal's Wager. As a Christian, I do not have to worry about being thrown into the lake of fire, because all the other gods are loving and will accept me as I am.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 07:491 edit
    You have just refuted the refutation of Pascal's Wager. As a Christian, I do not have to worry about being thrown into the lake of fire, because all the other gods are loving and will accept me as I am.
    The more curmudgeonly ones might make a few insulting remarks about your intelligence.

I'm not sure that Pascal's wager has any meaning outside a purely Christian context.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 08:03
    The more curmudgeonly ones might make a few insulting remarks about your intelligence.

I'm not sure that Pascal's wager has any meaning outside a purely Christian context.
    But it has meaning from a purely Christian context?
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 08:05
    But it has meaning from a purely Christian context?
    It all boils down to blood of lamb.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 08:13
    It all boils down to blood of lamb.
    Pascal's wager?

That sounds more like Pascal's principle...
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 08:19
    Pascal's wager?

That sounds more like Pascal's principle...
    I just like saying it.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 08:33
    I just like saying it.
    Now you sound like Pascal's principal.
  12. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 10:44
    Thanks.

But how do you know if your a christian and if you are interpreting the bible in the right way?

😀
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 11:37
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    But how do you know if your a christian and if you are interpreting the bible in the right way?

😀
    Because I have experienced the power of God in my life and experienced forgiveness of sin and I am no longer a slave of sin. I have also experience God speaking to me through his Holy Spirit when I read the Bible. God promises to send the Holy Spirit to those that obey Him. I have found the promises of the Bible to be true. I have found that God is a reality and that He does what he promises.

Here's just one example:

Isaiah 59:1-2 Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I have experienced the bondage of sin, but I have also experienced deliverance and the peace that passes all understanding that accompanies forgiveness.
  14. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 14:46
    Does the "Hindu god" (or any other god for that matter) make any claims that he will smite all non-Hindus?

Does Allah (for example) say that all non-Muslims will be cast into a lake of fire?
    I don't know if Allah goes for a lake of fire, but Islam is probably the most strongly monotheistic religion out of all the major religions. "There is no God but Allah".

Muslims think the whole idea of the Trinity is a sorry excuse for Christians to worship three gods.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 14:51
    Originally posted by orfeo
    I don't know if Allah goes for a lake of fire, but Islam is probably the most strongly monotheistic religion out of all the major religions. "There is no God but Allah".

Muslims think the whole idea of the Trinity is a sorry excuse for Christians to worship three gods.
    Does the Koran explicitly state that whoever does not believe in Mohammed will be condemned or will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree