1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 14:49
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Oh so you found a contradiction in the Bible. I didn't think there were any. Which contradiction is the right one to follow, and how do you pick and choose.

And I promise you there aint't no female deacons in fundamentalist protestant churches in the US.
    There are no contradictions in the Bible. Your thoughts are different then God's thoughts, so there can't be contradictions.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 15:08
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    There are no contradictions in the Bible. Your thoughts are different then God's thoughts, so there can't be contradictions.
    Your first sentence is incorrect, your second is a logical fallacy.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 16:17
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Your first sentence is incorrect, your second is a logical fallacy.
    Well if there is a God and you do not believe in himit goes to show that his thoughts are not the same as yours.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 17:42
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Well if there is a God and you do not believe in himit goes to show that his thoughts are not the same as yours.
    Your sentence runs thus:

"Your thoughts are different then God's thoughts, so there can't be contradictions."

Accepting that ones thoughts are different from god's, how does it follow that there cannot be contradictions?

Also, if you do believe in god, do you think your thoughts will be the same as his? And even if, by some strange quirk, your thoughts actually mirrored god's precisely, how does this relate to the numerous contradictions within the bible?

I'm really struggling to understand your point here.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 21:24
    Your sentence runs thus:

[b]"Your thoughts are different then God's thoughts, so there can't be contradictions."

Accepting that ones thoughts are different from god's, how does it follow that there cannot be contradictions?

Also, if you do believe in god, do you think your thoughts will be the same as his? And even if, by some str ...[text shortened]... contradictions within the bible?

I'm really struggling to understand your point here.[/b]
    The Holy Bible says God's ways are higher than our ways. It does
    not compare thoughts.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 21:50
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Holy Bible says God's ways are higher than our ways. It does
    not compare thoughts.
    Fair enough, but how is that relevant here?
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 22:02
    Would it make you feel good if your wife started arguing in church
    with you on what the scriptures meant? How would the other men
    in the church view your role as head of the household and the
    loving cooperation you both have together? Why would your wife
    want to put you down in public? Think about these things.
    What about if you and your wife agree and she starts arguing with someone else's
    husband? or the preacher? or simply asks a question to clarify her understanding?

What makes you the head of the household?
    Why does there have to BE a head of the household?
    Does loving and cooperating mean that you can never disagree about anything?
    or do so in public?
    What if the woman in question is your daughter, does she not get to ask questions?
    Does your son, as a man get to speak and ask questions in church? do you?

Do you claim not to be a sexist bigot? And if so, on what grounds?

Think about these things.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 06:23
    Fair enough, but how is that relevant here?
    Truth is always relevant.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 06:26
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What about if you and your wife agree and she starts arguing with someone else's
    husband? or the preacher? or simply asks a question to clarify her understanding?

What makes you the head of the household?
    Why does there have to BE a head of the household?
    Does loving and cooperating mean that you can never disagree about anything?
    or do so in pu ...[text shortened]... Do you claim not to be a sexist bigot? And if so, on what grounds?

Think about these things.
    If I start thinking about all these things, my little pea brain might burst.
    You wouldn't want that, right?
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:31
    Truth is always relevant.
    What a ridiculous statement. Example:

"Grover Cleveland is the only US President to serve two non-consecutive terms."

This is inarguably true, but clearly irrelevant. Why don't you try to think and provide an answer the question rather than just ejaculate some faux pearl of wisdom?
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 10:371 edit
    From the Wikipedia article of Deacons:

The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LC-MS)

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America . . . (ELCA) . . .
    I stand by my comment that there are no female deacons in fundamentalist churches in the US.

You cite a wiki article that shows liberal non-fundamentalist branches of the Lutheran denomination have female deacons. So what. (By the way, the Lutheran ELCA you reference has gay ministers -- not very fundamentalist wouldn't you agree).

As for female deacons, even your wiki cite indicates that the vast majority of fundamentalist protestants (e.g., fundamentalist Baptists) "would never consider allowing a woman to serve as a deacon."

After all, as the New Testament states:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches, for it is not permitted unto them to speak . . . And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians 14:34-35.

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression" 1 Timothy 2:11-14.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 11:262 edits
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I stand by my comment that there are no female deacons in fundamentalist churches in the US.

You cite a wiki article that shows liberal non-fundamentalist branches of the Lutheran denomination have female deacons. So what. (By the way, the Lutheran ELCA you reference has gay ministers -- not very fundamentalist wouldn't you agree).

As for female d s not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression" 1 Timothy 2:11-14.
    I am sure you must know that there are women preachers in the
    Christian churches. So what is the point of me trying to convence
    you that there are also deacons. These women ministers and
    preachers do practically all the talking in those churches.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 11:28
    What a ridiculous statement. Example:

"Grover Cleveland is the only US President to serve two non-consecutive terms."

This is inarguably true, but clearly irrelevant. Why don't you try to think and provide an answer the question rather than just ejaculate some faux pearl of wisdom?
    The Holy Bible warned me not to cast pearls of wisdom before swine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree