1. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 07:28
    This question is more difficult to answer then anyone is considering. Think about all the people who experienced psychological damage while contemplating the thought of an eternal afterlife in hell, compared to people who (however deranged in my opinion) felt the utmost fulfillment by leading a pious life. It's not only about large things like the crusades, inquisitions, witch-hunts, etc.

The scope of the question is too large, but in my humble opinion I'd say religion on the whole has been Terrible for mankind. But like I said, it's pretty impossible to answer.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 09:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    As for 53 or 54% being an impressive majority, what other religion comes close to such numbers?
    For a start those numbers were not quoted for a religion anyway but as a total of 3 religions.
    Wikipedia shows a chart from the Encyclopedia britanica showing
    Christians: 33%
    Muslims:20%
    Hindu:13%
    NonReligious /Athiest: 13%

So its not as clear-cut as you imply.

Looking as the areas where the religions cover it is clear that religion has a lot to do with colonization etc and not just whether or not a religion is good a spreading.

I personally believe that there are a large number of people that would state they are Christian are not really. You yourself would probably not accept as 'True Christians' a significant proportion of the Christian denominations.
    For example here in South Africa, the largest denomination is the Zionists which I know little about but I believe has some African roots as well as Christian.

So what are your views as to why certain religions are large/small?
    You simply ask questions with a vague hint but do not actually offer an opinion.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 04:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    For a start those numbers were not quoted for a religion anyway but as a total of 3 religions.
    Wikipedia shows a chart from the Encyclopedia britanica showing
    Christians: 33%
    Muslims:20%
    Hindu:13%
    NonReligious /Athiest: 13%

So what are your views as to why certain religions are large/small?
    You simply ask questions with a vague hint but do not actually offer an opinion.
    My point is that if God be God then such a God would more than likely be present in the lives of men and women throughout time. It only seems logical to me thus a religion would have to point to him or her or them that is still around today that has ancient roots. Looking at your chart that leaves religions that are based upon the God of Abraham and Hinduism. Granted, your chart does not list all the religions such a Judism and other philisophical Far Eastern beliefs, howveer, it is of interest that all other religions throughout time has, for the most part, bitten the dust. For example, the gods of the Greeks have been all but forgotten in the hearts of men. Therefore, such gods are dead in the lives of men other than refereces to mythology.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree