1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 12:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you have any statistics to show that Catholic priests have a higher incidence of pedophilia than other denominations? Or even the general population?
    i don't because most priests involved in pedophilia i hear about are catholics. maybe the protestant and orthodox have better PR?😀
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 12:43
    Marc 10:14
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 12:55
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i don't because most priests involved in pedophilia i hear about are catholics. maybe the protestant and orthodox have better PR?😀
    That is quite possible. Also, the publicity might be greater when it is a catholic priest. Also there are probably more catholic priests than any other single denomination - maybe more than all the other denominations put together.

They are also not the only organization guilty of covering up such things. It even happens with teachers - they get transfered instead of fired.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 09:33
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    unfair to say that because catholic priests "don't get any" they cannot keep their thingies in their pants.
    and also unfair to say that, given the opportunity, the orthodox and protestant priests will engage in pedophilia.

also don't get me wrong. i am not saying that being a catholic priest means you are a pedophile. i am just saying that the current ...[text shortened]... even become priests because they would enter an organization that allows them to get away.
    unfair to say that because catholic priests "don't get any" they cannot keep their thingies in their pants.
    and also unfair to say that, given the opportunity, the orthodox and protestant priests will engage in pedophilia.

It is telling, however, that besides the Catholic priest, the teacher is most stereotypically seen as the pedophile.

I also never said that priests cannot keep "their thingies in their pants", nor that Orthodox and Protestant priests will engage in pedophilia. It is just a fact that Orthodox priests have a different life to that of the Catholic priest - an Orthodox priest rarely can be a pedophile.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 10:05
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    It is just a fact that Orthodox priests have a different life to that of the Catholic priest - an Orthodox priest rarely can be a pedophile.
    In what ways? Do they not teach? Are there no orthodox alter boys?
    As far as I know pedophiles come from all professions and walks of life, although opportunity does have a significant impact.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 11:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In what ways? Do they not teach? Are there no orthodox alter boys?
    As far as I know pedophiles come from all professions and walks of life, although opportunity does have a significant impact.
    The celibate ones generally live in monasteries; however, they might serve in a parish. I can only speak from my own knowledge, but Orthodox clerics do not teach - their religious orders are devoted to monasticism and contemplation.

Liturgical differences are an important factor. Although the Orthodox priest will have altar boys, he will probably also have a deacon, along with a number of other people (an Orthodox Mass is very dramatic, almost like a staging.) So an Orthodox priest cannot "lure" altar boys, as he is among a number of other performers of the mass.
  7. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 00:08
    The celibate ones generally live in monasteries; however, they might serve in a parish. I can only speak from my own knowledge, but Orthodox clerics do not teach - their religious orders are devoted to monasticism and contemplation.

Liturgical differences are an important factor. Although the Orthodox priest will have altar boys, he will probably also h ...[text shortened]... odox priest cannot "lure" altar boys, as he is among a number of other performers of the mass.
    The priests don't lure the boys during the Mass; it simply wouldn't be possible, so the liturgical differences don't seem material. Also priests aren't teachers at the elementary level -- teaching priests stick to high schools, and I think most victims were younger than high school age. A pedophile will create the opportunity regardless of his or her circumstances, although some are attracted to positions that put them in frequent contact with children. Also, celibacy is immaterial. If it were a meaningful criterion then children would be safe from sexual abuse in their own homes.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 09:03
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    The priests don't lure the boys during the Mass; it simply wouldn't be possible, so the liturgical differences don't seem material. Also priests aren't teachers at the elementary level -- teaching priests stick to high schools, and I think most victims were younger than high school age. A pedophile will create the opportunity regardless of his or her c ...[text shortened]... ere a meaningful criterion then children would be safe from sexual abuse in their own homes.
    The priests don't lure the boys during the Mass; it simply wouldn't be possible, so the liturgical differences don't seem material.

But both Catholic and Orthodox churches have presbytries in which the clerics, that includes the non ordained orders, will dress. That, as I understand, has been one place in which a priest could abuse altar servants. In the Orthodox Church, however, this is less feasible as a number of other men are likely to be in the room.

Also priests aren't teachers at the elementary level -- teaching priests stick to high schools, and I think most victims were younger than high school age.

That is generally true of priests now. But that is a new phenomenon.

A pedophile will create the opportunity regardless of his or her circumstances, although some are attracted to positions that put them in frequent contact with children

Exactly. So, say, a Catholic pedophile might be more attracted to the Catholic priesthood than a Greek counterpart would be to the Orthodox priesthood. Hence why there would be more representation of pedophiles in the Catholic clerical hierarchy than in the Orthodox verson.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 12:34

Liturgical differences are an important factor. Although the Orthodox priest will have altar boys, he will probably also h ...[text shortened]... odox priest cannot "lure" altar boys, as he is among a number of other performers of the mass.
    they teach. mostly the ones without parishes do that but they can be able if they want to. unless they have a busy schedule they will take up religion classes.(don't know how it is called in other countries).

as a side note, before yelling "brain wash" bear in mind that it is an optional course, some schools don't have it, after the 12th grade you won't find religion except theological colleges and at least my religion teachers mostly abstained from mixing religion with science, and simply concentrated on the narrative part of the bible
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 13:27
    [b]The priests don't lure the boys during the Mass; it simply wouldn't be possible, so the liturgical differences don't seem material.

But both Catholic and Orthodox churches have presbytries in which the clerics, that includes the non ordained orders, will dress. That, as I understand, has been one place in which a priest could abuse altar servants. ...[text shortened]... representation of pedophiles in the Catholic clerical hierarchy than in the Orthodox verson.[/b]
    It must depend on where you live. In the US, Catholic elementary schools were staffed by nuns because of the tremendous savings in money. Priests didn't teach in elementary schools. Perhaps in other countries they did, and that's the recent phenomenon you refer to.

In the churches I've been to, there are other people in the back as well, not just the priests and male & female altar servers putting things on over their clothes. I don't know what it was like decades ago though.

Why would a Catholic pedophile be more attracted to the priesthood than to marrying and reproducing? Most pedophiles don't convert to Catholicism so they can be priests.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree