1. Standard memberLord Of Pie
    Worlds Greatest Noob
    Midwest
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 06:37
    Pourquoi?

Why do christian pastors preach a message of hate? Of ignorance and intolorance? I am an atheist, i have read the bible, and i always got the idea that Jesus preached tolerance, generosity, and the persuit of knowledge. When did the flock stray?
  2. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 08:381 edit
    Originally posted by Lord Of Pie
    Pourquoi?

Why do christian pastors preach a message of hate? Of ignorance and intolorance? I am an atheist, i have read the bible, and i always got the idea that Jesus preached tolerance, generosity, and the persuit of knowledge. When did the flock stray?
    It depends on the preacher i suppose. You are quite right, Jesus did not preach a message of hate. He was an emotial man, just like us, and yet he only once got angry. I think any preacher that preaches a message of hate is rather deluded.

I presume you have heard of Desmond Tutu, the South African minister and Nobel Peace Prize winner? He really is a very loving and Godly man. I suggest you read his book "God has a dream". 'Tis a good read, whether you are Christian or non-Christian, and it helps to put in perspective what being a Christian can and should involve.

My minister gave a sermon on "not worrying" last Sunday. It was nice.
  3. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 11:07
    I've been going to church for thirteen years and I never heared a pastor preach about hate. I've heared about how hateing is write ONLY with sin though.
  4. England
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 11:15
    these preachers have a damnation agender, as people flock to churches in fear of the after life not the love of it. its well acepted in time of trouble people flock to churchs ie in wars etc but in time of milk and honey the pursue there own interests, that is why these preachers do what they see as saving soles thro fear of burning brimstone. Evan god says fear him more than anyone who hurts in this life as he condems in the next.
  5. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 13:31
    Pourquoi?

As someone else mentioned, I too have never heard a message of hate in a church from a pastor, but the only churches I've been to are Southern Baptist, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Unitarian Universalist. Must be some other group. What church were you at, since I assume you must be speaking from direct experience.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 13:42
    Pourquoi?

Stone him!!

Seriously now, who has condoned stoning? Who has condoned hating? Are you confusing intolerance with saying that particular actions are sins? For example, when Jesus showed mercy on the woman caugh in adultery, the people tried to stone her for her sin but Christ showed her mercy. He then told her to go and sin no more, however. So was telling her to go and sin no more intolerance?
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 14:36
    In the Methodist church, we do not preach about damnation, we preach the good news, we are accepting of all, and judge no one
  8. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 08:211 edit
    People are people. Human nature doesn't change because you're in a religion. So what you get is people of all religions doing things they're religion doesn't allow. Why? Because the religion only forbids things people are naturally inclined to do. If people didn't naturally want to have sex with women other than their wife why make a rule about adultery?

So, some people hate and find a way for their religion to justify it. How else to explain the WIDE interpretations of the exact same thing that has had hundreds even thousands of years of consideration? Islam I'm told preaches war with infidels while others say it is only about peace and love. I haven't read much of it, but to me this contrary opinion can only be explained by the nature of the interpreter. All religions have interpretations this different-- of course I didn't mean it was limited to Islam. In terms of understanding human nature religion has got to be the greatest mirror.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree