1. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 00:45
    Why does God (Christian, Islamic, Jewish) want to be praised and worshipped?

Many of the posts from our fundamentalist friends go on about praising and worshipping God. If God is omnipotent then she knows she is omnipotent and therefore doesn't need to be told how good she is.

Or is God vain? Isn't vanity a sin?

I am confused...
  2. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 01:00
    Originally posted by Maustrauser

Many of the posts from our fundamentalist friends go on about praising and worshipping God. If God is omnipotent then she knows she is omnipotent and therefore doesn't need to be told how good she is.

I am confused...
    I would suggest that wuch worship is done out of appreciation and respect. I call my parents every few days because I love them and respect them, not because they are vain. 😉
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 01:10

I am confused...
    I will have to agree with Omni on this one.

I also want to add that one cannot help but praise and worship Him. He is everything good and He is Holy.

And He tells us He is a jealous God. And He has every right to be. Nothing even approaches His majesty.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:19
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I will have to agree with Omni on this one.

I also want to add that one cannot help but praise and worship Him. He is everything good and He is Holy.

And He tells us He is a jealous God. And He has every right to be. Nothing even approaches His majesty.
    What kind of worship do you like? Do you like praise music or contemporary Christian music?
  5. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:28

What could she be jealous of? If there are no other gods then there is nobody or nothing to be jealous of? Being omnipotent, god can do whatever she want to do...

To be jealous of humans would surely be the same as saying that "I am jealous of ants."
  6. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:32
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    I would suggest that wuch worship is done out of appreciation and respect. I call my parents every few days because I love them and respect them, not because they are vain. 😉
    What a good son you are. I am impressed.

But you don't go "Hallelujah" at them, do you. Do you shout and scream "Praise my Mum and Dad," whilst playing loud music and clapping and swaying?

I doubt it.

And if a god knows that she is good, doesn't need to be told...Don't you reckon it would become a bit irritating?

"Yes, I know I am great, you don't have to keep telling me!"
    "Hallelujah. God is Great! Allah Akbar!"
    "Thanks, but I do know. I know everything."
    "Praise the Lord," they shout.
    "Thats...that..quite enough. Now go and plant some trees. Do something useful."

It would drive me nuts if I was god...
  7. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:34
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    What kind of worship do you like? Do you like praise music or contemporary Christian music?
    Praise.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:34
    What could she be jealous of? If there are no other gods then there is nobody or nothing to be jealous of? Being omnipotent, god can do whatever she want to do...

To be jealous of humans would surely be the same as saying that "I am jealous of ants."
    He's jealous for our attention. He loves us more than we know and He expects us to worship Him above all else, which of course I shall.
  9. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:37
    What a good son you are. I am impressed.

But you don't go "Hallelujah" at them, do you. Do you shout and scream "Praise my Mum and Dad," whilst playing loud music and clapping and swaying?

I doubt it.

And if a god knows that she is good, doesn't need to be told...Don't you reckon it would become a bit irritating?

"Yes, I know I am g ...[text shortened]... Now go and plant some trees. Do something useful."

It would drive me nuts if I was god...
    I would go nuts as well, and so I am grateful that I am not God.
  10. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:44
    He's jealous for our attention. He loves us more than we know and He expects us to worship Him above all else, which of course I shall.
    Jealous for our attention?

How sad. It's like me wanting the attention of my border collie constantly. The licking is terribly unhygienic.

I reckon your god has more to do than worry about whether his ants are clapping and swaying.
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:46
    Jealous for our attention?

How sad. It's like me wanting the attention of my border collie constantly. The licking is terribly unhygienic.

I reckon your god has more to do than worry about whether his ants are clapping and swaying.
    I reckon you believe that you repeating that will somehow change things.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:511 edit
    I reckon you believe that you repeating that will somehow change things.
    And so we reach a Nash equilibrium, since that is exactly the response that I would use. And you will still use it even knowing that I am going to use it. Which I know already when I decided that I would use it . . .

(ad nauseum)

Am I growing tired of religious debate?

Nah! Just need a break. 🙂

Edit: And a few cold beers!
  13. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 02:58
    Originally posted by telerion
    And so we reach a Nash equilibrium, since that is exactly the response that I would use. And you will still use it even knowing that I am going to use it. Which I know already when I decided that I would use it . . .

(ad nauseum)

Am I growing tired of religious debate?

Nah! Just need a break. 🙂

Edit: And a few cold beers!
    hmmmm.....I wonder, are theists more prone to drink general domestic beer and atheists micro brews?
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 04:20
    hmmmm.....I wonder, are theists more prone to drink general domestic beer and atheists micro brews?
    Well, I drink micro-brews so you're half way there!

As a side note:
    I drink Italian wine.

Enjoy Tequila, Rum, Sherry, Gin, Port. My Polish friend tried to get me to drink only Vodka. Nothing doing.

Oh yeah, I have tried off and on to develop a taste for Scotch. Still in development.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 04:51
    I drink micro brews and consider general domestic beer to unfit for human consumption. I just finished a Samuel Adams Black Lager. Very tasty. But I would sooner drink a glass of gasoline than a Budweiser.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree