1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 16:25
    A friend of mine once said that if there was a God he would not need me to worship him. God is so beyond what I could imagine that it does seem strange that such a one would need or want worship.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 16:41
    god man made for god's purpose. part of that purpose is to worship god thru the free agency given man by god. it is not necessary that man understand the breadth of god.
    it is only necessary that as far as he understands god that he worships the light of creation. a mouse standing in a field has the same duty insofar as a mouse can achieve
    the same realization. each according to his ability.
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 19:11
    Originally posted by buckky
    A friend of mine once said that if there was a God he would not need me to worship him. God is so beyond what I could imagine that it does seem strange that such a one would need or want worship.
    Worship is misunderstood.....and this misunderstanding has come about by the false teachings of Christianity, Islam and Judaism. .....which constantly teach you to fear God and then from that mind set of fear....take up worship to appease the angry God.

God and the living beings have an eternal relationship which never touches fear.

The relationship may be of .....Friendship, Servitude, Awe and Reverence, Conjugal Love. and Parental.

Worship is just a term loosely used to describe one relationship or another.

Christianity would have us believe that God is on a Golden Throne and we all sit at his feet...........not so.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 04:01
    No where in the Bible does it say God needs our worship as he wants for nothing as he is complete in every way.
    But he does love us as he did create us just as a man and a woman has much to do in the bringing forth of life from love. The creation or offspring is loved by God just as two humans would love their offspring.
    On a lesser scale we should all honor our parents and love them and serve them with things they may need especially later in their lifes.
    Again God needs nothing on a material level but he does expect all humans to show him love and honor and reverence and follow what he ask of us. And we should all realize that he only ask things of us that are for our benifit, never harm.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 15:303 edits
    All enjoyment of anything, God or something else, if it becomes strong enough, automatically overflows in praise.

The word worship has its roots in two English words worth - ship.

Worship of God in Spirit and in truth is just an enjoyment of the precious and valuable worth of God.

Since God is the ultimate reality God has the highest and greatest worth. So the worth - ship of God, the worship of God reflects the enjoyment of the highest, most precious and most valuable reality.
  6. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 17:18
    Originally posted by jaywill
    All enjoyment of [b]anything, God or something else, if it becomes strong enough, automatically overflows in praise.

The word worship has its roots in two English words worth - ship.

Worship of God in Spirit and in truth is just an enjoyment of the precious and valuable worth of God.

Since God is the ultimate reality G ...[text shortened]... rship[/b] of God reflects the enjoyment of the highest, most precious and most valuable reality.[/b]
    Very Good.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 18:53
    Very Good.
    Thanks. But I don't mean "ship" is a word. I just read that worship is a contraction of the English phrase worthship.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 19:43
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The word worship has its roots in two English words [b] worth - ship.

Worship of God in Spirit and in truth is just an enjoyment of the precious and valuable worth of God. [/b]
    Just so you know, the -ship part has nothing to do with ships or value.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=worship
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=-ship
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 19:50
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Worship is misunderstood.....and this misunderstanding has come about by the false teachings of Christianity, Islam and Judaism. .....which constantly teach you to fear God and then from that mind set of fear....take up worship to appease the angry God.

God and the living beings have an eternal relationship which never touches fear.

The relationship may b ...[text shortened]... ould have us believe that God is on a Golden Throne and we all sit at his feet...........not so.
    "Worship is misunderstood..."

By everyone but you of course.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 19:52
    It's not that God 'needs' anything from us, it's that God is worthy of worship.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 13:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Just so you know, the -ship part has nothing to do with ships or value.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=worship
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=-ship
    Not quite sure about your observation, as I get ...

"condition of being worthy, honor, renown," from weorð "worthy" (see worth) + -scipe (see -ship). Sense of "reverence paid to a supernatural or divine being" is first recorded c.1300. The original sense is preserved in the title worshipful (c.1300). The verb is recorded from c.1200.

Origin:
    before 900; (noun) Middle English wors ( c ) hipe, worthssipe, Old English worthscipe, variant of weorthscipe; see worth, -ship; (v.) Middle English, derivative of the noun

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree