1. Joined
    30 Sep '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 12:15
    What happened to prayer? It has become this new and different thing and I don't like it anymore. When I was your age prayer was better. If we wanted something... let's say for our friend not to die of cancer, we prayed it and we prayed it right. We got right down there on our knees and said, "Please god, do not let the cancer kill my friend. I know she once slept with a man outside of wedlock, but that is no reason for the cancer to invade her body and take her life." And it would work sometimes.

Nowadays prayer is all fancy-shmancy. Heck, there's even prayer for prayer now; people just sit around and pray that prayer will keep on a-goin. Me, I'm a simple man. I believe in meat, potatoes, and a solid, no-nonsense prayer. We don't need to pray for the man to leave his apartment one minute later so that he DOESN'T cross my friend's path, so that my friend DOESN'T walk 1 inch closer to the nuclear factory, so that she DOESN'T get cancer... heck that's too complicated. And besides, who are we to question that which we cannot understand. We should just sit around and be meek and mild. Unless we are men. Men should be strong because that's what the good book says, but if you are a woman you should be meek and milk and everything nice. Anyway, I'm rambling now when I should just be saying a durned prayer.
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 13:39
    Originally posted by Ou Lei
    What happened to prayer? It has become this new and different thing and I don't like it anymore. When I was your age prayer was better. If we wanted something... let's say for our friend not to die of cancer, we prayed it and we prayed it right. We got right down there on our knees and said, "Please god, do not let the cancer kill my friend. I know she o ...[text shortened]... hing nice. Anyway, I'm rambling now when I should just be saying a durned prayer.
    You lost me at the *when I was your age* part. I don't think you've gotten to my age yet. But it saved me from being annoyed about the sweeping generalizations and outlandish assumptions that you know how people pray and what they're praying for.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 15:13
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    You lost me at the *when I was your age* part. I don't think you've gotten to my age yet. But it saved me from being annoyed about the sweeping generalizations and outlandish assumptions that you know how people pray and what they're praying for.
    Give him a day and maybe he will sober up. 😉
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 18:56
    I think it's a joke in the same vein of those "When I was a boy" stories.

ie : "When I was a boy, we had to go to school by foot, uphill - both ways!"
  5. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 23:22
    Originally posted by Retrovirus
    I think it's a joke in the same vein of those "When I was a boy" stories.

ie : "When I was a boy, we had to go to school by foot, uphill - both ways!"
    In the snow. All year. 😉
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Nov '07 00:10
    Originally posted by Ou Lei
    What happened to prayer? It has become this new and different thing and I don't like it anymore. When I was your age prayer was better. If we wanted something... let's say for our friend not to die of cancer, we prayed it and we prayed it right. We got right down there on our knees and said, "Please god, do not let the cancer kill my friend. I know she o ...[text shortened]... hing nice. Anyway, I'm rambling now when I should just be saying a durned prayer.
    Nicely done. I could almost hear the harmonica playing in the background.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '07 01:59
    In the snow. All year. 😉
    And that's the way we liked it. 😠
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 14:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    And that's the way we liked it. 😠
    And we carried baked potatoes to school to keep our hands from freezing and then ate them for lunch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree