1. St. Peter's
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 16:30
    the first major stumbling block to overcome in being an enlightened person of faith.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 19:46
    Originally posted by Doward
    the first major stumbling block to overcome in being an enlightened person of faith.
    As discussed at:

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=1639

I presume?

If so, it is indeed a distraction favored by some persons on both sides of the question; favored over moving on. A variation on the term "creative destruction" is appropriate, to describe the process of overcoming the stumbling block. That said, it could be that those who are in active rejection of the pre-critical, are a step closer to post-critical naivete. A small step, but possibly, a necessary one.
  3. St. Peter's
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 21:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    As discussed at:

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=1639

I presume?

If so, it is indeed a distraction favored by some persons on both sides of the question; favored over moving on. A variation on the term "creative destruction" is appropriate, to describe the process of overcoming the stumbling block. That said, it could be that thos ...[text shortened]... ical, are a step closer to post-critical naivete. A small step, but possibly, a necessary one.
    actually as discussed in a recent study with colleagues. interesting link though
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 03:56
    actually as discussed in a recent study with colleagues. interesting link though
    Didn't you leave something out of that discussion? Shouldn't it have read "Actually as discussed *and rejected* in a recent study with colleagues. Interesting link though".
  5. St. Peter's
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Didn't you leave something out of that discussion? Shouldn't it have read "Actually as discussed *and rejected* in a recent study with colleagues. Interesting link though".
    why would you presume to know what we discussed? Most of my colleagues reject theology based on pre-critical naivete. You would know that about me if you wern't so blinded by your irrational hatred of theists
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 01:45
    why would you presume to know what we discussed? Most of my colleagues reject theology based on pre-critical naivete. You would know that about me if you wern't so blinded by your irrational hatred of theists
    To tell you the truth, I'd really rather not know what pre-critical naivete means. lol
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 03:12
    Is it really that irrational?

Whats more rational, being a theist or atheist? 🙄
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 03:32
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Is it really that irrational?

Whats more rational, being a theist or atheist? 🙄
    A theist.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 08:53
    Originally posted by josephw
    A theist.
    ra·tion·al/ˈraSHənl/
    Adjective: Based on or in accordance with reason or logic

Doesn't sound like much of a basis for theism to me.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 09:31
    Just wanted to see where you stood on that spectrum. Didn't mean any disrespect.
    It is not theism I hate. It is organized religion. There is a huge difference.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 09:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    A theist.
    # sure thing
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 11:092 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just wanted to see where you stood on that spectrum. Didn't mean any disrespect.
    It is not theism I hate. It is organized religion. There is a huge difference.
    In all my years of being part of a church I can assure you religion is anything but organized

edit: If you want to know just ask. For the record I am theologicaly liberal and Christologicaly conservative.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 11:441 edit
    In all my years of being part of a church I can assure you religion is anything but organized

edit: If you want to know just ask. For the record I am theologicaly liberal and Christologicaly conservative.
    The part about organized religion is the part where they seem to go to war at the drop of a hat.

Crusades, Intifada, it;s all the same. No god would put up with that kind of behavior without coming down hard on the participants if indeed there was a god.

That kind of behavior without a word from a god is a pretty strong indication to me there is no such thing and the entire religion idea is just the result of human intelligence, no need for supernatural inspiration.

Human intelligence alone is powerful enough to come up with thousands of years of pithy wisdom.
  14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Jul '11 05:53
    ...and Christologicaly conservative.
    Christ, is that actually a word?
  15. St. Peter's
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 11:17
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Christ, is that actually a word?
    yes

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree