"Preaching to the choir"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

Regardless of where one is on the atheism-theism spectrum, does preaching to the choir bring any benefits to a debate and discussion forum?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
Regardless of where one is on the atheism-theism spectrum, does preaching to the choir bring any benefits to a debate and discussion forum?
Do you know every single person who reads this forum and what their beliefs are? Since you don’t, how can you claim anyone is “preaching to the choir?”

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

This sounds like another forum topic that’s gonna take off like a lead balloon

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Do you know every single person who reads this forum and what their beliefs are? Since you don’t, how can you claim anyone is “preaching to the choir?”
It's pretty clear to me that you are. Does it bring any benefits to a debate and discussion forum like this?

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
An example of a poster who, although he may sometimes be preaching to the choir, is engaged in something different is sonship. He may be preaching primarily to fellow Christians [rather than non-believers] but his Local Church brand of Christianity is quite different in certain ways from conventional Christian beliefs.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
galveston75 is another poster who does not preach to the choir [aside from when he lays into what he sees as his detractors]. galveston75 beats a lonely path to promote his beliefs and ideology about Jesus and, these days, there is not a single fellow JW here [as far as I am aware] that he might be said to be pitching his doctrines and his steadfastness to.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
It's pretty clear to me that you are. Does it bring any benefits to a debate and discussion forum like this?

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Do you know every single person who reads this forum and what their beliefs are?
I don't need to know every single poster who reads the forum in order to work out what you are doing. It's pretty clear to me that you are preaching to the choir.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22
1 edit

@fmf said
Rajk999 is another contributor who cannot be characterized as preaching to the choir. He beats a lonely path too with his theology and, while he cops flak for it, he gives as good as he gets.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
I don't need to know every single poster who reads the forum in order to work out what you are doing. It's pretty clear to me that you are preaching to the choir.
Sounds like you want me banned from the forum because I enjoy bursting your pseudo-intellectual balloons and are using this lame “preaching to the choir” accusation to do it.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Sounds like you want me banned from the forum because I enjoy bursting your pseudo-intellectual balloons and are using this lame “preaching to the choir” accusation to do it.
If you were genuinely trying to appeal to "open-minded" people here, as you claimed on another thread an hour or so ago, you wouldn't be aiming puerile ad-hominems and insults day in day out at posters who clearly have more emotional intelligence than you and whose contributions offer cogent dissenting perspectives to believers or to anyone interested in ideas.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
And who exactly is in the “choir” I’m “preaching” to?

Since the active posters you’ve cited disagree with me, they’re obviously not in the choir. How I can be “preaching to the choir” when so many in this forum disagree with me?

Like I said, don’t be so sloppy in your thinking and how you express yourself.

You’ve got me “preaching to the choir” in a forum where nearly all the active posters disagree with me.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
divegeester doesn't preach to a Christian choir. Indeed, he rubs them up the wrong way and it often makes them sing badly.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
If you were genuinely trying to appeal to "open-minded" people here, as you claimed on another thread an hour or so ago, you wouldn't be aiming puerile ad-hominems and insults day in day out at posters who clearly have more emotional intelligence than you and whose contributions offer cogent dissenting perspectives to believers or to anyone interested in ideas.
You’re accusing someone else of insults?

I discuss substance on here. I’m sorry if what I write offends you, but I think a review of my posts will show nearly all of them are substance based.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

So who’s in this “choir” I’m “preaching” to?