1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 23:541 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Möchten Sie die Debatte auf Deutsch weiter führen, Herr DoctorScribbles ?
    No, not really. I just thought it would be wise to get a little practice in before the Uberpapst completes his world dominion and we all become required to speak God's language - German.

Ich mochte nicht Fuhrer sein.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:001 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I'm not sure.

I regret that I don't recall well bbarr's timeline of personhood and rights violations. I think that would be a useful framework for analyziing this issue. Under my vague recollection of that model, it could co ...[text shortened]... ated. Hopefully the Most Holy will clarify that framework for us.
    DoctorS: "I think that would be a useful framework for analyziing this issue."

Warum denken Sie Herr DoctorScribbles, dass die Neo-Kantianische Theorie in diesem Bereich nützlich sein könnte das Ganze zu analysieren and warum nicht die Personalistische Theory zum Beispiel ? Wie ich schon auseinander gesetzt habe in einem früheren Bericht in diesem Faden wird diese Neo-Kantianische Theorie nirgendwo acceptiert oder praktisiert. Also dass heist auf platt Deutsch: Diese theory ist "Tote Hose". Das bringt nichts ein, verstehen Sie ? Das führt zu nichts.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:02
    No, not really. I just thought it would be wise to get a little practice in before the Uberpapst completes his world dominion and we all become required to speak God's language - German.

Ich mochte nicht Fuhrer sein.

I'll switch to "English Language Mode" again.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:02
    I think the best solution is that alcohol and tobacco companies must come up with products that are laced with contraceptives. This way they would not reproduce and use of their product would weed out the weakest of society. We do not need people to live longer. We need a quicker turnover which would benefit many people.
  5. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:04
    Depends on whether or not you qualify as a Neo-Kantian person.
    OK I've done some very quick research on neo-Kantianism, couldn't find a great deal... lots of stuff on Kant though.

Could anyone be sol bold as to point me in the right direction, or give me a quick precis of neo-Kantianism?

PS Am I still in the right thread, everyone appears to be speaking German? Which doesn't bother me as I'm visiting Berlin next month. Only German I can say is "Vumpff bier, bitte". Will I get by?
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:08
    Originally posted by PawnCurry
    OK I've done some very quick research on neo-Kantianism, couldn't find a great deal... lots of stuff on Kant though.

Could anyone be sol bold as to point me in the right direction, or give me a quick precis of neo-Kantianism?

PS Am I still in the right thread, everyone appears to be speaking German? Which doesn't bother me as I'm visiting Berlin next month. Only German I can say is "Vumpff bier, bitte". Will I get by?

If you go on your own, you will get drunk very quickly I'm afraid ...... 😀
  7. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:13

If you go on your own, you will get drunk very quickly I'm afraid ...... 😀
    Well it won't be a complete loss then!

Now, back to Kant?
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:13

I googled on "Neo-Kantian personhood theory" and guess what Google came up with ?

One result and this is it:

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=13433&page=2

9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:15
    Wie ich schon auseinander gesetzt habe in einem früheren Bericht in dieser Faden wird diese Neo-Kantianische Theorie nirgendwo acceptiert oder praktisiert. Also dass heist auf platt Deutsch: Diese theory ist "Tote Hose". Das bringt nichts ein, verstehen Sie ? Das führt zu nichts.
    Einstein's Theory of General Relativity was true before people accepted it and used it to analyze phenomena, at least as much as it is now. Acceptance and practice are not necessary conditions for the truth of a theory.

I haven't put forth any assessments of competing theories in this thread. I simply remarked that the timeline that bbarr has previously presented is a useful framework. I haven't said it's necessarily the best.
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:27
    Well it won't be a complete loss then!

Now, back to Kant?

I am not going to explain bbarr's thoughts on Neo-Kantian personhood theories. No way ...... He accused me more than once of misrepresenting his ideas. I'm sure he will do so again after reading my post on this subject in this thread.

.... we will just have to wait and see if and when his Most Holiness is willing to come down and appear on the earthly scene to adress our mere mortals ..... 😉
  11. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:33

I am not going to explain bbarr's thoughts on Neo-Kantian personhood theories. No way ...... He accused me more than once of misrepresenting his ideas.
    I may never get to know if I live downstairs from Bbarr....! 🙁
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:38
    Einstein's Theory of General Relativity was true before people accepted it and used it to analyze phenomena, at least as much as it is now. Acceptance and practice are not necessary conditions for the truth of a theory.

I haven't put forth any assessments of competing theories in this thread. I simply remarked that the timeline that bbarr has previously presented is a useful framework. I haven't said it's necessarily the best.

Your comparison with physics is rather flawed if we look at societal reality.
    You don't have to be a prophet to know that these Neo-Kantian theories will not enter the realm of widely accepted theories. They are too complicated and they are only in theory more or less conclusive. Besides that they place too much restrictions on scientific research. Utilitarianism however is a different case. Easy to understand by the masses and serving them and science much better than Neo-Kantianism.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:39
    I may never get to know if I live downstairs from Bbarr....! 🙁

I'm sure he will be here shortly and inform you of his enlightened ideas.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:43
    You don't have to be a prophet to know that these Neo-Kantian theories will not enter the realm of widely accepted theories.
    Very few of my ideas will ever enter the realm of the widely accepted. I am still content to theorize about them. I don't require others' endorsement of my views in order to accept them as correct, and I value the theoretical contemplation of them as valuable, if for nothing more than the peace of mind that comes from internally resolving an ideological conflict, even if nothing practical will ever be realized from the exercise.
  15. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 00:55
    Utilitarianism however is a different case. Easy to understand by the masses and serving them and science much better than Neo-Kantianism.
    Oh Lordy, more terminology to get to grips with.

Quick Google.....

Well, it seems to make sense... 😕

Still need to find out something about this Kant chap so I can decide where I live wrt him...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree