1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 May '05 00:06
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Nemesio indeed made a mess of my words.

Wrong diagnosis I must say. Next thing he will be advising me to look for a good therapist and take some effective medicin ....... oh well ..... 😀

EDIT: I love the following Nemesio wrote:
    "Doctors do NOT generally diagnose unknown problems as 'mental;'
    this is not some 'well-known fact.' And, of ...[text shortened]... in some cases correct."

" often ..... the diagnosis is in some cases correct"

ROTFLMSO
    Ivanhoe, do you believe that psychotherapy has any merit?
  2. London
    Moves
    10 May '05 00:53
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    There are two separate statements:

1) I dispute the absurd claim that doctors turn to a 'between-the-ears' diagnosis when
    they do not understand what is going on (where's your proof for this claim?);

2) And when they do decide to offer a 'between-the-ears' diagnosis (however frequently
    or infrequently that may be), they are often correct.

I'll accept your apology for misunderstanding my already clear sentence in advance.

Nemesio
    1. I think the point ivanhoe is making is that doctors are quick to go for a psychological diagnosis when they cannot find a physiological one. You deny that they do so at all. Therefore, doctors who do not understand what is going on either offer a diagnosis that is neither physiological nor psychological, or offer none when they do not understand what is happening.

So far so good. We have a debate here.

2. Whether such psychological diagnosis is correct or not is irrelevant. The question is whether the physician actually knew (to the best of his ability) that the cause was psychological at the time of making his diagnosis. Or did he just make such an assessment because it was probably right?

When a doctor presents a diagnosis to a patient, he is not presenting a probable cause - he is presenting his best positive diagnosis of the situation; i.e. he says that X is the cause because he has evidence to suggest X, not just a process of elimination where he has excluded all (not X).
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 May '05 02:301 edit
    Is this a joke? Are you guys conspiring to screw with my head here?

Originally posted by lucifershammer
    1. I think the point ivanhoe is making is that doctors are quick to go for a psychological diagnosis when they cannot find a physiological one. You deny that they do so at all. Therefore, doctors who do not understand what is going on either offer a diagnosis that is neither physiological nor psychological, or offer none when they do not understand what is happening.

First of all, I do NOT deny that they do so at all. Consider point #2 of the post of mine
    that you quoted:

2) And when they do decide to offer a 'between-the-ears' diagnosis (however frequently
    or infrequently that may be), they are often correct.

I deny that, when a doctor is faced with a situation for which s/he can offer no physiological
    diagnosis, s/he often (much less 99% of the time) turns to a 'between-the-ears' explanation.
    Very often, doctors just say, 'I don't know...let's try test X to see if we can narrow down the
    problem in some fashion.' And, indeed, in those cases when tests reveal nothing conclusive,
    they often simply state that: 'We don't know what is wrong,' and not attribute the patient's
    problems to some sort of mental condition.

So, you've totally misread me, whereas I summarized Ivanhoe's utterly bogus claim accurately.

2. Whether such psychological diagnosis is correct or not is irrelevant. The question is whether the physician actually knew (to the best of his ability) that the cause was psychological at the time of making his diagnosis. Or did he just make such an assessment because it was probably right?

I disagree that a correction psychological diagnosis is irrelevant. The dersive tone in Ivanhoe's
    post (the part where a mental diagnosis is commensurate with 'I Don't Have A Clue About What's
    Going On'😉, is his commentary on a doctor's choice to select a mental diagnosis over a physical
    one. However, if the mental diagnosis IS correct, it is demonstrative of the doctor's
    having a clue about what is going on (!!!). So it is totally relevant.

Read what he wrote and tell me its defensible, even if we consider that '99%' is hyperbolic (as
    I said in my first post). It's not. It's utter crap to suggest that most or even half of psychological
    diagnoses for mysterious physiological problems are a product of 'not having a clue.' If he, or you,
    want to stand by it, then I suggest you cough up some studies about 'clueness' in psychological
    diagnoses.

Is it unfortunate that Eagles's mom's doctor made the wrong diagnosis? Yes. Is it (even remotely)
    possible that a test for pancreatic cancer might have helped her with her struggle? Sure. But we
    are making such judgments in hindsight and without ANY medical data. Ivanhoe's reactionary
    statement making gross and unfounded sweeping generalizations about the medical profession are,
    to say the least, totally inappropriate and, I find, slanderous. I have a great deal of respect for
    those who work in the medical profession, that most strive to make accurate, considered, critical
    and life-saving decisions, often under tremendous pressure. The increasing litigation against those
    who, by virtue of being human, make mistakes in diagnoses are finding it harder and harder to
    stay in practice because of escalating insurance costs. In the face of these facts, I find
    Ivanhoe's callous statements are beyond the pale.

Nemesio
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    10 May '05 12:53
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Ivanhoe, do you believe that psychotherapy has any merit?

Smoking and drinking mothers and their unborn off-spring sure would benefit from it.
  5. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 May '05 15:33
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I'm not arguing with you -- no one here is able to do so because we do not know the
    intimate details of her life, nor do we know the circumstances under which the doctor
    came to his/her conclusion.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Nemesio
    I understood that you were not arguing with me when I made that particular post.

And thank you, along with Ivanhoe, for your sympathies.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 May '05 00:03
    Originally posted by eagles54
    I understood that you were not arguing with me when I made that particular post.

And thank you, along with Ivanhoe, for your sympathies.

You're welcome eagles54 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree