Probability of evolution

Probability of evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
28 Jun 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
What garbage Math? You are the one that has to defend the statement that DNA has evoloved.
The garbage math you posted at the very beginning of this thread.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Jun 05

Are you saying that Genisis 1 was not refering to literal 24 hour days?
I'm saying that Genesis was a fictitious story that illustrates moral attitudes and religious principles i.e. a parable. Jesus told parables in the NT; they are not meant to be taken as literal fact. The same thing happened in the OT with Genesis, the Tower of Babel, etc. the authors were telling stories meant to impart religious ideas. Why can't you get that through your brainwashed "mind"?

Moves
28 Jun 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
The garbage math you posted at the very beginning of this thread.
If was only a simple example of how probability can be calculated. You could use the same basic method to calculate the probability of a DNA sequence forming by chance. e.g. a TGCA sequence in a strand of DNA.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
28 Jun 05

Are you saying that Genisis 1 was not refering to literal 24 hour days?
actually he's saying you're a snotnosed jerk, which is pretty evident.
no1 actually raises the level of the motivation of including the story that actually started as the 7 day flood of the Sumerian king Ziusudra from merely plagarizing it to giving it as an example of consequences of doing evil.
You should be thanking him, for trying to salvage some creditability for the bible.

Moves
28 Jun 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I'm saying that Genesis was a fictitious story that illustrates moral attitudes and religious principles i.e. a parable. Jesus told parables in the NT; they are not meant to be taken as literal fact. The same thing happened in the OT with Genesis, the Tower of Babel, etc. the authors were telling stories meant to impart religious ideas. Why can't you get that through your brainwashed "mind"?
What evidence do you have to support your little theory? Why should I believe you instead of the Bible?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Jun 05

What evidence do you have to support your little theory? Why should I believe you instead of the Bible?
Does the Bible have parables in it?

n
Lost

Copenhagen

Moves
28 Jun 05

See:http://www.bibleandscience.com/science/bibleandscience.htm

What makes you so sure that science needs to be able to explain everything? Is science not simply human effort? What makes you sure that science is superior to the Bible? Can science explain everything?
See:http://www.bibleandscience.com/science/bibleandscience.htm

This is funny, I think this is the first time I agree with something you say, or something you link to. In the introduction it says:
'God’s purpose of inspiration is clearly stated in II Timothy 3:16 which says that the Bible is inspired by God so that it is profitable for instruction in righteousness not instruction in science. To take a poem and use it as a scientific text is wrong. It is like trying to use a hammer as a screwdriver. It does not work. One must understand the historical context and meaning of the original language that the Bible was written in.

I couldn't agree more, the Bible is not to be read literally but rather as a guide to good behaviour, and an interesting story. But keep it out of the scientific field.

What makes you so sure that science needs to be able to explain everything? Is science not simply human effort? What makes you sure that science is superior to the Bible?

Science and the Bible aren't really comparable, so you can't say that the one is superiour to the other. But if you read the Bible literally and on scientific terms, then its just plain idiocy, whereas science makes sense, ergo is science superiour to the Bible.

Can science explain everything?

No science can't explain anything, that's why we have to deal with you religious nutcakes

Moves
28 Jun 05

Does the Bible have parables in it?
Yes the New Testament has parables which were told by Jesus. I have not seen a parable in the Old Testament.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
28 Jun 05

If was only a simple example of how probability can be calculated. You could use the same basic method to calculate the probability of a DNA sequence forming by chance. e.g. a TGCA sequence in a strand of DNA.
An example? An example of how to miscalculate probabilites? Read telerion's post on the first page of this thread. Read my post and KneverKnight's followup later in the thread. The ones about anything seeming miraculous when viewed from an endpoint.

Now what does your 'example' have to do with anything?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Jun 05

Yes the New Testament has parables which were told by Jesus. I have not seen a parable in the Old Testament.
Yes you have. Jesus didn't say "Here's a parable for ya"; he told the parable and people understood it to be a parable. And the authors of Genesis told a parable but they didn't come out and say it was a parable; they figured their listeners would know. Same thing but you're too brainwashed to see it.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
28 Jun 05
1 edit

Yes you have. Jesus didn't say "Here's a parable for ya"; he told the parable and people understood it to be a parable. And the authors of Genesis told a parable but they didn't come out and say it was a parable; they figu ...[text shortened]... ers would know. Same thing but you're too brainwashed to see it.
which its precisely what's wrong with Paulian Doctrine as envisioned by Ireneus, without which Christianity would have actually been based on Christ's Kingdom.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
28 Jun 05

do you know the possible ways TGCA form a single piece?
I will give you a clue its not 16.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
28 Jun 05

You are skirting the issue again. I demonstrated explicitly (look ma! No cut 'n paste!) that not only was the example a ridiculously poor analogy to evolution, but even accepting the analogy, IT STILL GOT IT'S OWN MATH WRONG!

I'm guessing that your ignorance of mathematics goes far deeper than just a misunderstanding of probability. You surely struggle with basic algebra because that is really all that I used in my calculation (that and a binomial formula and a limit).

Can you show my math to be in error and demonstrate how the example's math is correct?

If not, then at least acknowledge that the person who wrote the example you copied does not understand the math.

Moves
28 Jun 05

Originally posted by telerion
You are skirting the issue again. I demonstrated explicitly (look ma! No cut 'n paste!) that not only was the example a ridiculously poor analogy to evolution, but even accepting the analogy, IT STILL GOT IT'S OWN MATH WRONG!

I'm guessing that your ignorance of mathematics goes far deeper than just a misunderstanding of probability. You surely stru ...[text shortened]... least acknowledge that the person who wrote the example you copied does not understand the math.
I am not saying that the your Maths is wrong. There is more than one way to calculate probability. You may have used two different methods and got slightly different answers. I will admit that Probability is not my field of study. So I will have to trust those that are experts in the field.

So seeing you claim to be an expert:

Would be so kind as to calculate the probability of the simplest strand of DNA forming by chance given the four base pairs, C,A,G,T.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
28 Jun 05

I am not saying that the your Maths is wrong. There is more than one way to calculate probability. You may have used two different methods and got slightly different answers. I will admit that Probability is not my field of study. So I will have to trust those that are experts in the field.

So seeing you claim to be an expert:

Would be so kind as to ...[text shortened]... probability of the simplest strand of DNA forming by chance given the four base pairs, C,A,G,T.
Before I answer your question. There are not several ways to calculate a probability, at least not in the way that you mean it. Given that you have admitted to not understanding how probabilities work (behind a rudimentary level I assume) and that your site has incorrectly deduced the the number of draws necessary to have a better than 50% chance by a significant amount (30😵, why are you drawing to make up defenses? Just admit that they screwed up, and that you had no way of knowing it.