1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 20:26
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    There's a report that two tributes to the Pope were disrupted by Protestant soccer fans in Scotland over the weekend.

What I find amazing is that this kind of sectarianism exists within western Christianity. And then you find Protestants that hem and haw when Catholics argue that the Garvaghy Road parades should be banned. Protestant scumbags li ...[text shortened]... d celebrations are fueled by religious racism.

Any takers? I'm up for a good fight today.
    It would be my guess that these Protestants weren't praying that the
    next Pope be filled with wisdom and be guided by the Holy Spirit, then.

Nemesio
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 20:38
    There's a report that two tributes to the Pope were disrupted by Protestant soccer fans in Scotland over the weekend.
    Let's just be thankful there wasn't an Old Firm match on at the weekend...

There would have been a bloodbath!
  3. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 21:352 edits
    And let me qualify my next statement by saying I am Roman Catholic, but it certainly seems that Catholics just want to live equally and in peace, and the Protestants there are determined to perpetuate this religious racist mode of thought.
    I have to disagree... football hooliganism and religious bigotry know no boundary. I've been to Old Firm matches in the past and seen and heard it with my own eyes and ears.
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 22:12
    The difference on the Protestant side is that the government, because it's a British government, has taken that side right or wrong at almost every opportunity. So the government has been quite far indeed from honest brokering in the conflict. Until very recently government sanctioned discrimination, bigotry, harassment and murder. That's where the ...[text shortened]... inked at and the wrongs of Catholics were exploited to stomp on the general Catholic population.
    Point taken on your views re a pre-dominantly Protestant-leaning government (expanding the argument away from football).

Catholics just want to live equally and in peace, and the Protestants there are determined to perpetuate this religious racist mode of thought.

I think your point highlighted above is far too simplistic, the reality is far more complicated. Not wishing to sound disrespectful, but that comment alone sounds like religious bigotry in itself. I'm sure most Catholics want to live equally and in peace - as do most Protestants. (I'm making the assumption you're referring to Northern Ireland here?)

Glasgow's football/religious heritage is something I struggle to get to grips with. Footballing rivalry is one thing, but it's all got so messed up it's verging on the ridiculous. For goodness-sake, my Dad's grandmother wouldn't let anyone bring anything green into the house, and would probably have died the grass blue if she could. I always thought it was a bit silly even when I was a youngster... (I was brouight up as a Protestant, my daughter is being brought up as a Catholic... and I haven't believed in the Christian interpretation of God for a long time, so I don't have an axe to grind either way).

5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 23:45
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    It would be my guess that these Protestants weren't praying that the
    next Pope be filled with wisdom and be guided by the Holy Spirit, then.

Nemesio
    I hope you're not baiting a fight here. Or worse, being off topic.

D

6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 08:31

What I find amazing is that this kind of sectarianism exists within western Christianity. And then you find Protestants that hem and haw when Catholics argue that the Garvaghy Road parades should be banned. Protestant scumbags li ...[text shortened]... d celebrations are fueled by religious racism.

Any takers? I'm up for a good fight today.
    I'm surprised you're amazed! Many of the bitterest conflicts in Europe have centred on religion. The conflict in former Yugoslavia was in part sectarian between catholic and orthodox christians. The Irish are famously sectarian but if you talk to German's you'll realsie that they have a mojor sectarian divide.

Closer to home for the christian bigots who post on here are the view of the Southern Baptist Union who view catholicism as equivelent to devil worship in much the same way as Paisley does.

The relationship that christianity has had with all other world faiths does not look good in term of anti semitism, anti islam etc etc, the list of atrocities is endless.

Religion, particularly christianity is a wellspring for hatred. If your mot with us then you're damned, and if you're damned then we can treat you like dogs....bigots, all of them.
  7. NY
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 08:371 edit
    An Irish girl went to London to work as a secretary and began sending money and gifts home to her parents. After a few years, they asked her to come home for a visit as her father was becoming frail and elderly. She pulled up to the family home in a Rolls Royce and stepped out wearing fur and diamonds.
    As she walked into the house her father said, "Hmmm -- they seem to be paying secretaries awfully well in London."

The girl took his hands and said, "Dad -- I've been meaning to tell you something for years, but I didn't want to put it in a letter. I can't hide it from you any longer. I've become a prostitute."

Her father gasped, put his hand on his heart and keeled over. The doctor was called, but the old man had clearly lost the will to live. He was put to bed and the priest was called.

As the priest began to administer Extreme Unction, with the mother and daughter weeping and wailing, the old man muttered weakly, "I'm a goner -- killed by my own daughter! Killed by the shame of what you've become!"

"Please forgive me," his daughter sobbed, "I only wanted to have nice things! I wanted to be able to send you money and the only way I could do it was by becoming a prostitute."

Brushing the priest aside, the old man sat bolt upright in bed, smiling. "Did you say prostitute? That was a close one -- I thought you said Protestant!"

---- i could deal with my doughter being a high class prostitute (not just some dirty hoe) but a Protestant...🙄
  8. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 19:42
    I can't explain, or even begin to understand, how the feud/conflict/war in Northern Ireland has perpetuated for centuries and continues to do so now. I'm sure others are better placed to comment on that one.

I don't know much about the history of Celtic and Rangers football clubs in Glasgow, but what little I do fills me with exasperation. Maybe the influx of foreign players into the SPL has changed things, but I remember a time when it was virtually unheard of for a Catholic player to play for Rangers, or a Protestant to play for Celtic. So much for Christianity being about love, compassion, forgiveness, acceptance. Don't see much of that at Ibrox or Celtic Park. Whether it's football that's the vehicle for religious hatred, or vice versa, I don't know.