1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 20:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Everyone chooses. It is not necessarily blindly following out of "fear" or a "lack of info". If one chooses not to choose, then they still have made a choice.

Turning away from being Christian simply because your parents are Christian seems more like a really blindly uninformed choice. These people are still defining themselves by their parents' choice instead of their own. Juvenile rebellion? Probably. A bold decision? Probably not.
    Everyone chooses. It is not necessarily blindly following out of "fear" or a "lack of info". If one chooses not to choose, then they still have made a choice.

Turning away from being a
    Muslim simply because your parents are Muslims seems more like a really blindly uninformed choice. These people are still defining themselves by their parents' choice instead of their own. Juvenile rebellion? Probably. A bold decision? Probably not.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 00:13
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Is this a personal translation?

Interestingly enough, I found it here, not in any translation, but in Barnes' Notes at the bottom of the page.

http://bible.cc/john/14-6.htm
    Yes
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 02:465 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Lord save me from those who think that the Holy Scripture contains all that is needed to ensure a place in our Father's Kingdom. An open mind and some small measure of intelligence is required also. . . .

Yes, even that one guy who lives his entire life on a deserted island and never hears of Jesus Christ. Do you put limitations on God and His ability to offer ALL men the same deal? I do not.
    Glad to see you account for the guy on the deserted island who dies without ever being exposed to christ. Of course, many in the christian fundamentalist circles would consider your analysis blasphemy. Don't be too open-minded or you might start doubting your faith. Just kidding, but that is what I was always told.

The southern baptists (the largest protestant denomination in the US) assert that you must have accepted jesus christ as savior before you die (no exceptions) to get to avoid hell, and would not agree with your analysis, or your interpretation of scripture. Moreover, they for sure do not believe, as you may, that there is anything of significance with regard to salvation outside the four corners of the bible, the only inspired word of god.

Their response to the deserted island hypothetical is that the stranded guy was somehow exposes to jesus christ while living, such as in his dreams or just by having that feeling that there is a christ and that he should accept jesus as savior. That the guy would just know. That god would make it apparent to him somehow.

Anyway, I think you give good points and an viable response, at least within the christian structure.

Do you also think there are other ways to get into heaven without accepting christ as savior? Kind of like ghandi thought that each person in their religion has a respective avenue to get to heaven.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree