1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Dec '05 09:42
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Actually, learning the whole Qur'an by heart is not uncommon in the Muslim world. A person who memorises the entire Qur'an is called a hafiz - and there are millions of them around the world.
    For some reason, though, the Christian world has not produced too many of these prodigies. Perhaps things used to be different. Perhaps Gutenberg's to blame.

I wonder when the printing press first acquired an Islamic font.
  2. London
    Moves
    13 Dec '05 10:32
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    For some reason, though, the Christian world has not produced too many of these prodigies. Perhaps things used to be different. Perhaps Gutenberg's to blame.

I wonder when the printing press first acquired an Islamic font.
    I don't know - a lot of Protestants I know can pretty much quote any verse.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Dec '05 10:39
    I don't know - a lot of Protestants I know can pretty much quote any verse.
    If you find someone who can quote the gospels verbatim end to end, please share it. (No reason the learn the whole thing off by heart!).

Ted Hughes wrote an interesting essay on mnemonic technique which works quite well. Takes practice and application though.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 02:20
    In fact, the early editions of the King James Bible had 73 books and not 66.
    I think I knew this...the reason for not printing those books was in no small part
    economic, right?

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree