1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Oct '07 13:101 edit
    Science and religion are often pitted against one another; but how do they complement, rather than contradict, one another? We learn how one man applies the deepest insights of modern physics to think about how the world fundamentally works, and how the universe might make space for prayer.

An interview with John Polkinghorne

Polkinghorne is Canon Theologian of Liverpool Cathedral in England and author of many books, including Quarks, Chaos, and Christianity. He served as Professor of Mathematical Physics at Cambridge University, and is a Fellow of The Royal Society.

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/quarks/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Polkinghorne
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '07 13:55
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Science and religion are often pitted against one another; but how do they complement, rather than contradict, one another? We learn how one man applies the deepest insights of modern physics to think about how the world fundamentally works, and how the universe might make space for prayer.

An interview with John Polkinghorne

Polkinghorne is Canon The ...[text shortened]... eakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/quarks/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Polkinghorne
    I see nothing wrong with him.
    He's an old man who doesn't find enough what he learned from science and tries to conciliate the peace of mind religion provides with the facts of science.
    That's his view, he is not correct or incorrect.
    But I'd like to see him talk about the contradictions between reality and the bible. (world created in 6 days, and all the mythology)
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Oct '07 17:54
    Originally posted by serigado
    He's an old man who doesn't find enough what he learned from science and tries to conciliate the peace of mind religion provides with the facts of science.
    But I'd like to see him talk about the contradictions between reality and the bible. (world created in 6 days, and all the mythology)
    Polkinghorne is an Anglican. I doubt very much that he is a Biblical literalist, or that he denies the elements of myth, story, allegory and symbolism in the Biblical texts. What parts he does consider to be historical, and to what extent, I don't know.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '07 22:02
    I think you might enjoy the book "Genesis and the Big Bang" by Gerald L. Schroeder. He attempts to reconcile Genesis and science. It is interesting because he uses ancient religious documents to show that many ancient interpretations if the original Hebrew of the Torah are very different from modern day KJV interpretations and actually mirror scientific thought we have today about creation.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '07 10:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think you might enjoy the book "Genesis and the Big Bang" by Gerald L. Schroeder. He attempts to reconcile Genesis and science. It is interesting because he uses ancient religious documents to show that many ancient interpretations if the original Hebrew of the Torah are very different from modern day KJV interpretations and actually mirror scientific thought we have today about creation.
    So that means the Bible might be wrong or misinterpreted.
    I start to like him.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Oct '07 15:15
    Ofcourse he's incorrect.
    Theism is a fairytale. He should wake up and smell the coffee.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '07 15:31
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Ofcourse he's incorrect.
    Theism is a fairytale. He should wake up and smell the coffee.
    I think he is incorrect too. But it's impossible to be sure.
    You can't stop anyone from believing gods or vampires. But they must know this: It is only a belief, and beliefs exist only within one's head.
    If they want to model the world according to what they believe, let them, if that makes them happier. You can't reeducate them now. Let's focus on the independent education of our children, maybe in a few centuries religion will die.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree