1. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 11:04
    Originally posted by theprotectors
    I dont know where you get your info from. Lets get one thing strait right. Jews and jewish cristians don't say Any thing of the sort. Because it says in the bible you shouldn't use the Nome of the lord in vane...
    And which one is the Nome of the lord? And when did I suggest that they use it in vane? Maybe you can enlighten us as to what words they do use - if you can figure out how to spell them that is.

And as far as I know their isnt a thing called Jewish Muslim, because these to religions are much to close to each other.
    I meant a person who speaks Jewish as his native language and is a member of the Muslim religion.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 11:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead

I meant a person who speaks Jewish as his native language and is a member of the Muslim religion.
    Perhaps you mean 'Hebrew-speaking Muslims' ... They're out there.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 11:101 edit
    And which one is the Nome of the lord? And when did I suggest that they use it in vane? Maybe you can enlighten us as to what words they do use - if you can figure out how to spell them that is.

[b]And as far as I know their isnt a thing called Jewish Muslim, because these to religions are much to close to each other.

I meant a person who speaks Jewish as his native language and is a member of the Muslim religion.[/b]
    Is there any language that is concidered Jewish? Do we talk about Jiddish here? Or Hebrew?

And then we have something called islamic jews. Oh, such an oxymoron...

🙂 teasing a little...
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 11:382 edits
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Perhaps you mean 'Hebrew-speaking Muslims' ... They're out there.
    Thanks. Thats it. "Hebrew" just didn't come to mind for some reason. Would you happen to know what word they would use for 'God' in a Hebrew Bible or Qu'ran?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 13:22
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Three religions who claim the same god but each interprets their god differently.
    That's absurd.

Just because they agree on some common events or even have some common religious passages, doesn't mean its the same god they worship.

Christians who believe in a Trinitarian God certainly do not believe in the same god as Jewish or Muslim believers. They don't even believe in the same type of god.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 13:57
    Originally posted by Palynka
    That's absurd.

Just because they agree on some common events or even have some common religious passages, doesn't mean its the same god they worship.

Christians who believe in a Trinitarian God certainly do not believe in the same god as Jewish or Muslim believers. They don't even believe in the same type of god.
    And by that rule even different denominations of Christians believe in different gods. In fact, every single theist has their own unique concepts and therefore believes in a unique god! Maybe thats what all this "personal God" stuff is all about?
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 14:061 edit
    And by that rule even different denominations of Christians believe in different gods. In fact, every single theist has their own unique concepts and therefore believes in a unique god! Maybe thats what all this "personal God" stuff is all about?
    Some denominations, certainly.

Your final conclusion, however, is of your own making but not a logical conclusion from mine. I do not claim that all differences are sufficient, just that some are.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 14:18
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Some denominations, certainly.

Your final conclusion, however, is of your own making but not a logical conclusion from mine. I do not claim that all differences are sufficient, just that some are.
    Well I suppose that if two people are agnostic about the things that differentiate the concepts they have about their gods then we can say that they essentially believe in the same god, but we could equally not.
    Is your Santa a different one from mine?
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 14:242 edits
    Thanks. Thats it. "Hebrew" just didn't come to mind for some reason. Would you happen to know what word they would use for 'God' in a Hebrew Bible or Qu'ran?
    Hebrew words for “god”: el, elah, eloah, elohim (plural)—the second is, of course the form closest to “allah” (Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic languages, as is Syriac—a form of Aramaic—and, I think Amharic).

The name of God in the Hebrew scriptures is YHVH. Biblical Hebrew has no vowels; vowel points were not added until somewhere in the first centuries C.E. However, certain consonants could occasionally act as vowels, principally Y, H and V. The original pronunciation of the name is lost; various scholars have various opinions—the most common is “Yahveh” (or Yahweh). This became "latinized" as Jehovah.

YHVH derives from eheyeh (or ahayha), the archaic “I am”. YHVH means literally “[the one] who/that is.”

About the time of Ezekiel (if I recall rightly) the name became considered too holy to say, and the word “Adonai” (sir, mister, lord) was substituted in liturgical readings of the Torah. Non-liturgically, other terms were and are used. It is still okay to say “Yah”, as in hallelu Yah. In English translations, YHVH becomes “LORD” (in Spanish translations, it becomes El Señor).

In Exodus 20:7 and Deuteronomy 5:11, the opening words in Hebrew translate as “Not taking the name YHVH . . .”
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 19:33
    I'll keep it short.
    I believe that god exist for those who believe in it, and if there is someone who doesn't believe in it, that is his/her choice and she/he won't be affected by it.
  11. RDU NC
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 02:232 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Hebrew words for “god”: el, elah, eloah, elohim (plural)—the second is, of course the form closest to “allah” (Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic languages, as is Syriac—a form of Aramaic—and, I think Amharic).

The name of God in the Hebrew scriptures is YHVH. Biblical Hebrew has no vowels; vowel points were not added until somewhere in the first centu nd Deuteronomy 5:11, the opening words in Hebrew translate as “Not taking the name YHVH . . .”
    Good historical points, but if I may edit a bit. YHWH (or as you put YHVH) because it had no vowels, could also mean "I am that which I am." Of course, I'm no ancient Hebrew scholar, and since the language was considered dead for a long time until it was revived this century with the "creation" of Israel, there are probably many variants on the possible translation, but we seem to agree that it boils down to roughly "I Am."

Also, Jehovah is not "Latinized" so much as "Germanized." The "y" sound in German is produced by the "J" and the "v" sound in German is produced by the "W."

Again, not being an ancient Hebrew scholar, aren't the references to God in chapter 1 of Genesis as Elohim (hence the criticism that refers to Elohist Editor)? Yes, it is plural by standard usage, but it is clearly used as singular in the text, in spite of the "let US make man in OUR image." Of course "Trinitarians" (as referred to in a previous post) would say that is alluding to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, all of whom are distinct persons of the same one God.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 06:231 edit
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    Good historical points, but if I may edit a bit. YHWH (or as you put YHVH) because it had no vowels, could also mean "I am that which I am." Of course, I'm no ancient Hebrew scholar, and since the language was considered dead for a long time until it was revived this century with the "creation" of Israel, there are probably many variants on the possible tran , and Holy Spirit, all of whom are distinct persons of the same one God.
    Good points—

1. “I am that I am” is a translation of eheyeh asher eheyeh; YHVH is a third-person construct from eheyeh (I have also seen it transliterated as ahayah). As you note, however, these are ancient constructs.

2. With regard to Jehovah, I’ll stand corrected. Thanks.

3. With regard to elohim—well, it is used both as an actual plural (“gods” ) and as a kind of “royal plural” to refer to the one god of Jewish monotheism. Generally, things like context dictate; in Genesis 1:1, for example, bara, “created” is in the singular form.

(Of course—and this is just speculation—there could have been a pre-monotheistic oral tradition that said the gods created the heavens and the earth, which the Elohist might have altered to reflect a monotheistic view; just as some people speculate on the “original” connections between the Hebrew god and the gods of Sumer. That’s not my game, but I don’t necessarily dismiss such speculations.)

Biblical Hebrew is really not a “precision” language, but more of what I would call a “depth” language. Each word can (and generally does) have layers of possible meaning and shades of meaning. Sometimes the Masoretes seem to have decided a primary meaning by their choice of vowel-points. Any two words containing the same root consonants—in any order—are related (the same is true for other Semitic languages). But Jewish exegesis traditionally explores all the possibilities.

But I was just responding to twhitehead's question. It's really been awhile now since I worked much with the Hebrew, and I'm no scholar (I have to use a lot of lexical tools, commenatries, etc.).
  13. Seattle
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 21:12
    I rarely take part in these threads, though I do find them interesting.

The three religious that you speak of (Christian, Judaism, and Islam) do indeed branch off from the same person (Abraham), but the religions couldn't be more different.
    The Christian faith states that a Jesus Christ came to earth. He was 100% the son of God and 100% human. According to Christians, he fullfilled the prophecies from the Old Testament (Jewish Bible) and lived a sinless life. According to the Jewish Bible, a perfect sacrifice had to be made to cover sin. So being fully God, able to forgive sins, and fully man, able to represent man as a sacrifice, he took the punishment of mankind and was sacrificed for our sins. We are now covered, free from sin, because of this sacrifice.
    Judaism, is completely identical to Christianity until we hit the issue of Jesus. To some, Jesus was a good Rabi who was killed for becoming too popular, to others he was a heratic, and there are many other explanations, but the point is that he wasn't God. They now seek heaven by following the laws of the Jewish Bible (Torah, The Prophets etc)
    Lastly, muslims are a little different on the matter of Jesus. They believe he was a prophet of Allah, that he lived a sinless life and was taken to heaven before he could be crucified. In his place a criminal was hung. Mohammad then receieved the final and complete revelation from God in a cave, alone, while foaming at the mouth. He then explained to his followers what had been taught to him, and these teachings became the Koran.
    So yes, they have similar historical backgrounds. But what makes these religions see a different and unique God is the way the see his personality as a whole, the way they are saved. To a Christian, Jesus is salvation. To a muslim or religious jew (there are nonreligious jews which often unfairly get caught up in this), it is by works and laws.
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 00:21
    Originally posted by Joshua555
    Hi , I am sorry to tell you that Allah does not exist because history tell us he was one of the 360 idols that was kept in the kaba in the begining of muhameds ministery at the time. Muhamads father at the time was named very close to that name.called abhed Allah. Do some deep research and you will find that out for your self
    Your argument doesn't make sense. Even if what you said were true, that doesn't prove whether or not Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) exists.
    Secondly, the polytheists did indeed believe in the existence of Allah; but they did not think think he was one of many gods. They saw him the supreme superior God, and the other deities as his subordinates. The meaning of the word Allah is: THE God. Even Christians who speak Arabic call their God "Allah".
    The name Abd Allah or Abdullah means servant of God and was and still is a comon name in arabic.

None of the these things show in any way why Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) would or wouldn't exist. Perhaps you should take your own advice and do some deep research before making wild claims here.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:521 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Does he really exist?

Yes!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree