Question about Job

Question about Job

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
18 Feb 18
1 edit

So here is the devil and he is given power to destroy everything in the life of Job but not allowed to destroy Job himself. So the devil proceeds to take everything he has, his wealth, his house, he friends, his live stalk, his health is getting bad as he has boils on his face, Job has everything taken away.....EXCEPT.....his wife who tells him to curse God and die.

What are we to make of this?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @whodey
So here is the devil and he is given power to destroy everything in the life of Job but not allowed to destroy Job himself. So the devil proceeds to take everything he has, his wealth, his house, he friends, his live stalk, his health is getting bad as he has boils on his face, Job has everything taken away.....EXCEPT.....his wife who tells him to curse God and die.

Why wouldn't Satan leave to him the one person who means most to him if this person was on his side, telling him to just give up, give in and curse God? That would seal his victory in the bet he made with God, yes? She becomes his best weapon against Job.

I'm guessing you have a point with this....

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Feb 18

Women are the root of all evil. Eve, Delilah, Jobs wife, and few here on RHP 😀

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Feb 18

I’m not aware of Job’s wife being mentioned in the book of Job beyond the early verse you referenced. If I’m not mistaken, what happened to her after she said that is a mystery; she certainly wasn’t mentioned with Job when his friends were trying to comfort him (and doing a poor job of it lol)

w

Moves
19 Feb 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Why wouldn't Satan leave to him the one person who means most to him if this person was on his side, telling him to just give up, give in and curse God? That would seal his victory in the bet he made with God, yes? She becomes his best weapon against Job.

I'm guessing you have a point with this....
No, just read it the other day and struck me kind of odd, and a bit funny.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Feb 18

I have usually assumed that Mrs. Job suffered terribly the same loss of loved ones. They were her children too.

I think she stood by Job as long as she possibly could. Eventually the perplexity of the tragedy was so bad she caved in in exaggeration.

"Job, why don't you just curse God and die?"

I don't think she wanted God cursed, per se.
But I think she perceived that some kind of contest was going on and Job would maybe get the relief he craved if he would just admit defeat and DIE.

When Job responds "You sound like one of the foolish women" it sounds to me that his wife was extraordinarily wise like himself.

She had reached her limit and had no other answer of comfort for him any longer.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
19 Feb 18
1 edit

Job's wife is a hidden victim in the 'story' as many of the afflictions and losses suffered by her husband would have been traumatic for her also. I think a merciful God would have been mindful of this.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Job's wife is a hidden victim in the 'story' as many of the afflictions and losses suffered by her husband would have been traumatic for her also. I think a merciful God would have been mindful of this.
There were plenty of victims in the book of Job. What of his children and servants who died? At least Job’s wife lived (as far as we know.)

But I think the victim who suffered most was Job himself, whom God and the Bible has declared was righteous. And that’s why I think the lesson of Job is that suffering in this life is not always due to the consequences of sin or chastening from God to correct sinful behavior or to draw one close to Him.

In Job’s case, I think his suffering was purely a test of his faith - nothing more.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Feb 18
1 edit

Satan was the final "victim" ... of sorts.
His accusing mouth was shut and he got a little foretaste of what he will experience for eternity. That is the total defeat of his schemes and the total vindication of God's eternal purpose.

Job's children and servants probably will be raised to eternal life and everlasting happiness. I can't prove it though.