1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 05:571 edit
    Example specially for Religious/Christian folks. Well Atheist and non-religious people too what do you think? Does a tradition that had a so called pagan source negate it of being a viable tradition? I was thinking about the exchange of rings in the wedding ceremony. Our JW friends here How do you feel about this? This has a history that seems to be ancient and varied. Have one link anyway. http://www.thehistoryof.net/history-of-the-wedding-ring.html

Manny
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 06:24
    Originally posted by menace71
    Example specially for Religious/Christian folks. Well Atheist and non-religious people too what do you think? Does a tradition that had a so called pagan source negate it of being a viable tradition? I was thinking about the exchange of rings in the wedding ceremony. Our JW friends here How do you feel about this? This has a history that seems to be ancient ...[text shortened]... d. Have one link anyway. http://www.thehistoryof.net/history-of-the-wedding-ring.html

Manny
    No doubt some will feel strongly about this, however I feel that when it comes to dates, festivals, sabbaths, traditions of men etc, then if you have been set free, you are free indeed.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 07:25
    Originally posted by menace71
    Example specially for Religious/Christian folks. Well Atheist and non-religious people too what do you think? Does a tradition that had a so called pagan source negate it of being a viable tradition? I was thinking about the exchange of rings in the wedding ceremony. Our JW friends here How do you feel about this? This has a history that seems to be ancient ...[text shortened]... d. Have one link anyway. http://www.thehistoryof.net/history-of-the-wedding-ring.html

Manny
    If traditions that had pagan sources were removed then there would not be much left of the religion. For example they couldn't even sing in Church because singing has a pagan source.
    The tradition of bunnies and eggs at easter has a pagan source (related to celebrating new reproduction at spring time), but why should a Christian be bared from celebrating that simply because some pagan thought of it first? As far as I know there is noting in the tradition that is specifically anti-Christian.
    I even know some Christians (members of the Church of Christ) who celebrate Christmas as a specifically pagan festival i.e. they do not celebrate it as part of their religion in any way but don't allow their beliefs to get in the way of a good festival.

As an atheist, I do not generally celebrate specifically religious events, but I still go home to my family at Christmas as it is a good time to do so (everyone is on holiday) and if they are celebrating, then why not join in?
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 13:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No doubt some will feel strongly about this, however I feel that when it comes to dates, festivals, sabbaths, traditions of men etc, then if you have been set free, you are free indeed.
    True 🙂 Book of Colossians speaks on this subject.

Manny
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 13:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If traditions that had pagan sources were removed then there would not be much left of the religion. For example they couldn't even sing in Church because singing has a pagan source.
    The tradition of bunnies and eggs at easter has a pagan source (related to celebrating new reproduction at spring time), but why should a Christian be bared from celebrating ...[text shortened]... good time to do so (everyone is on holiday) and if they are celebrating, then why not join in?
    Agreed good time just to hang out with family. Drink beer 🙂

Manny
  6. England
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 13:38
    a tradition, if it does not break the law of god is ok.
    May be has some pagan eliment but that does not mean it has value.
    Easter eggs most have forgot why it came to be and if you gave one a painted egg as a gift then they would throw it at you.
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 13:41
    a tradition, if it does not break the law of God is ok.
    No it's not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree