1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 17:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    My problem is dishonesty.

If you don't want to answer, you can say so, or >gasp< you can just not answer. Why do you all always suddenly have amnesia about what term the person is asking about?

'Clarification'? Really? How often do you need 'clarification' during your normal day? If you do, you know they do have remedial English classes at most universities, no prerequisite needed.
    So Proper Knob was being "dishonest" by asking for clarification on how Bobby was intending 'spiritual fulfillment'? Wow, you really need to get a grip. You sound like Dasa, or even worse.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 17:391 edit
    ooooooooh, essay quality, that one.

Do Atheists experience spiritual fulfillment; if so, with what or whom; and how?
    Looks like you answered one. Two more to go, eh? Need a grammar refresher too?
    Well, how would you answer my question, which was can theists experience some deeper meaning or purpose in life, as opposed to deluding themselves against all evidence that they will live forever in some magical fantasy world?

EDIT: Oh yeah, if so, with what or whom; and how?

Thanks a lot in advance.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 17:49
    "Do Atheists experience spiritual fulfillment; if so, with what or whom; and how?" (OP)
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 17:571 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Do Atheists experience spiritual fulfillment; if so, with what or whom; and how?" (OP)
    Bobby, what are the things in your life that bring you a sense of meaning and purpose, independent from your dubious belief in God and afterlife and whatnot? Aren't they things like the people and places you love, the projects in your life that thrill and fascinate you, and stuff like that? Wouldn't you think atheists operate along similar lines, though the people, places, and projects can vary wildly?

If you can recognize that these things, independent of your theistic commitments, bring you happiness, peace, purpose, meaning, etc; then's it a simple failure of rationality to not understand that such things can bring the same to atheists. If, on the other hand, you cannot recognize that these things, independent of your theistic commitments, bring you happiness, peace, purpose, meaning, etc; then, like I already said, I feel rather sorry for you.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 18:08
    Look, twhitehead, you DO own a dictionary, don't you?

You don't want to answer? Then here's a clue. Don't answer.

He doesn't have to do linguistic gymnastics for your giggles.
    Bobby's answer confirmed that he was asking a rhetorical question with his own answer to it firmly in mind. TW's request revealed that.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 18:08
    How is it redundant? Atheists don't suddenly forget their knowledge of English, do they? Do they?
    i can look at the dictionary, but it doesnt give a context specific explanation . its not an attempt to be 'difficult'. in the context of asking an atheist 'do you have spiritual fulfillment' im not sure i understand what is meant.

if you look it up in the dictionary yourself you will see that even a dictionary is vague about its meaning. i defined how i would translate the word to an atheist context but im not sure if that translation is relevant to what bobby was asking.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 18:13
    And yet NO one has actually answered his question.

Typical.
    i think i attempted to answer the question the best i could given the word 'spirituality' has little relevance to my way of thinking. i guess i could simplify the meaning i gave it to - the pursuit of happiness and contentment.

we all achieve that through various different methods, to varying degrees of success.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 18:32
    Originally posted by JS357
    Bobby's answer confirmed that he was asking a rhetorical question with his own answer to it firmly in mind. TW's request revealed that.
    I agree. Except that it was Proper Knob's request. Suzianne, apparently, has resorted to calling posters who ask for clarification 'twhitehead', as if that is some sort of pejorative. She has a long-standing beef with the poster twhitehead because he has the nerve to ask questions in threads and other incredibly crazy and wacky stuff like that. Be careful or she'll call you twhitehead next.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 19:161 edit
    Human Fulfillment and Spiritual Fulfillment:
    one is horizontally experienced; the other is experienced vertically.
    Does this distinction with a difference help?

""
    ºº
    ¿
    O

ha,
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 19:35

""
    ºº
    ¿
    O

ha,
    Dancing: The vertical expression of a horizontal desire.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 19:36

""
    ºº
    ¿
    O

ha,
    So one is like the mambo and the other is like the horizontal mambo? Nope, doesn't help.

Anyway, hasn't your question already been answered?
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 19:38
    Originally posted by JS357
    Dancing: The vertical expression of a horizontal desire.
    You beat me to it.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 20:221 edit
    Well, I guess this conversation's become a form of internet forum roadkill:
    failed in its objective and no longer worthy of consideration. Thanks. (gb)

_________________________________________________ ~o-o~ __

Edit: What is the horizontal expression of a vertical desire?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 23:002 edits
    Well, I guess this conversation's become a form of internet forum roadkill:
    failed in its objective and no longer worthy of consideration. Thanks. (gb)

_________________________________________________ ~o-o~ __

Edit: What is the horizontal expression of a vertical desire?
    "Tango: A vertical expression of a horizontal desire, except when couples fall flat on their faces, at which point it becomes a horizontal expression of a vertical desire."

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ballroom_dancing

Edit: This is a funny link. It also says "Jive: A U.S.-centric dance because it puts an American Spin on everything. "

and "A common misperception that ballroom dancing is "gay" has evolved for two reasons: some of the dances originated in the gay nineties; and often women dance with each other while their husbands are preoccupied watching men in tight pants play American football on T.V., all the while afraid to dance because they've heard that it's "gay."
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 23:21
    It's just that I have to sit here and listen to athiests who think they are masters of logic, and then they somehow can't understand their mother tongue.
    I hardly recognise my "mother tongue" when GB uses it.
    I call it gbtuse.

btw: Careful how you use tongue; Robbie doesn't like it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree