1. England
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 09:34
    jesus did say to his followers just say yes or no not to questions that would be enough. but over time we have adapted the swearing in in courts as part of the juditial system. so swearing as put over is not taking the lords name in vain.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 15:35
    Originally posted by stoker
    jesus did say to his followers just say yes or no not to questions that would be enough. but over time we have adapted the swearing in in courts as part of the juditial system. so swearing as put over is not taking the lords name in vain.
    It is well known that Xtians go out of their way to avoid actually following in the footsteps of Jesus.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 15:38
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    It is well known that Xtians go out of their way to avoid actually following in the footsteps of Jesus.
    Damn right! That road leads to the cross.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 16:03
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Damn right! That road leads to the cross.
    It also leads to ministering to the poor, the sick, and the lost (including prostitutes and pimps). Most Xtians would prefer to judge and legislate against these "least of mine."
  5. Standard memberdeltapreacher
    El Gato Grande
    Mississippi Delta
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 01:232 edits
    Here are quotations from the Holy Bible about swearing.

James 5:12 KJV (King James Version).

But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

Matthew 5:33-37 KJV, Spoken by Jesus

33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Matthew 5:34,37 NKJV (New King James Version)
    Spoken by Jesus

34But I say to you, do not swear at all:
    37But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

Affirming is the just another form of swearing.

You do not have to use the word “swear” to be swearing or making an oath. Raising the hand to say something is also associated with swearing. It is just another form of swearing to say, “I affirm to tell the truth so help me God,” Also to say, “I promise to tell the truth” would be swearing. We are already commanded to tell the truth under penalty of the lake of fire according to the scripture in Revelation 21:8 KJV

Revelation 21:8 KJV
    8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

They should quote this scripture to witnesses in court instead of making people swear contrary to the commandments of the bible.

They make mention of God in their swearing, but the true and living God says to us, “Do not swear.”

I tell the truth because I don’t want to go to the lake of fire.

The only biblically acceptable way to ask witnesses to tell the truth would be to say to them, “Will you tell the truth?” And the witness answers, “Yes” (or no) without raising their hand.

--copied
  6. Standard memberdeltapreacher
    El Gato Grande
    Mississippi Delta
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 01:282 edits
    Let me add that when the Words of Torah (and rest of Old Testament) and the New Covenant (New Testament) were written there was NO (compiled and published) Bible - just various scrolls, etc. Some synagogues had a TORAH scroll (first 5 books) but there was not such reference point for placing one's hand on a "scroll" or the entire book. So there will NOT be a specific reference for that specific act. Not sure where the origin of placing one's hand on the Bible as a sign of truth and "oath" taking came from - don't have time tonight. The principles of NOT USING THE NAME (YVHH) in a useless or "vain" manner is a lasting and guiding principle that one could apply; however, it is interesting that God's Name is really not God anyway. God is a "generic" form for a deity. Possibly the oath taking with one's hand on the Bible doesn't have much to do with THE NAME anyway, depends on what one believes in there heart regarding truth. I realize this is more than you wanted, Mokko, but you seem to be a thinker. 😀
  7. Standard memberdeltapreacher
    El Gato Grande
    Mississippi Delta
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 02:032 edits
    Furthermore, the commandment dealing with testimony in court is more in line with this one:

"You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor." Exodus 20:16

than:

"You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His Name." Exodus 20:7

Conclusion for your question: Yes, it would be wrong ( or your word "sacreligious" ) to "swear" on the Bible in court (or anywhere else for that matter). One should answer, YES or NO.
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 02:04
    Originally posted by deltapreacher
    I tell the truth because I don’t want to go to the lake of fire.
    Thanks for your input. If this is the case, how would you handle the real-world situation given by (Doc Scribbles or Rev. Kirksey...sorry boys, I forget which one), in which an abused wife takes refuge in her sister's house because her abusive husband is bent on beating her to death today...and you know where she went. He confronts you demanding to know where she is. (This is a loose paraphrase of the question, and for that I apologize).

Would you tell him the truth in this instance? Would God forgive you if you lied to this man?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 02:09
    Originally posted by David C
    Thanks for your input. If this is the case, how would you handle the real-world situation given by (Doc Scribbles or Rev. Kirksey...sorry boys, I forget which one), in which an abused wife takes refuge in her sister's house because her abusive husband is bent on beating her to death today...and you know where she went. He confronts you demanding to know wher ...[text shortened]...
    Would you tell him the truth in this instance? Would God forgive you if you lied to this man?
    You're "straining at gnats" here. There is nothing in the Bible that prohibits one from using some damn common sense, lake of fire be damned. Of course you don't tell him where she is. You call the damn police and get the SOB arrested for terroristic threatening. Merciful Jesus in heaven! Have we become that legalistic?
  10. Standard memberdeltapreacher
    El Gato Grande
    Mississippi Delta
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 02:132 edits
    I used this same question in my Ethics class. Good question since it presents an ethical dilemma. The Rabbis - who know more of the Torah's teaching and historical discussions on this - would say that in this case you can tell the "white lie" ("white lie" defined as a lie told to do good to another and not harm) as long as you know in your soul that you are telling a "lie"; the harm comes when one tells so many "white lies" that one no longer knows the difference - thus crosses the line.

The first question: You would "lie" to protect! (... and then call the police to report the incident before he tries something else.)

The second question: "Would God forgive you if you lied to this man?" and the answer is "Yes, if you asked for forgiveness - since you knew it was ' ... bearing false witness' ". Even though you did what was good - your soul (mind, emotion, and will) must know that it was a "false" statement.

At least that's where our discussion ended up.
  11. Standard memberdeltapreacher
    El Gato Grande
    Mississippi Delta
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 02:53
    Mokko, if you still want more information then this appears to be a good article "Swear Not!"

http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.show/CT/RA/k/915

😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree