1. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 13:57
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I suppose nothing but burning RC priests at the stake would do.
    No, but transferring them to another parish wont do either.
  2. London
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 13:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, but transferring them to another parish wont do either.
    Why don't you try pointing out something that has happened in the last 5 years? Or at least the last 10?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 14:11
    Why don't you try pointing out something that has happened in the last 5 years? Or at least the last 10?
    Are you telling me that all Catholic priests that are known to be Child molesters but their seniors within the Church have been removed from office?
  4. London
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 14:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Are you telling me that all Catholic priests that are known to be Child molesters but their seniors within the Church have been removed from office?
    No, I'm asking you for one concrete instance of a molesting priest who has been transferred between parishes in the last 5 years.

Or at least the last 10.
  5. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 14:44
    Originally posted by xlacir
    whats the difference between catholicism and christianity?
    catholicism with a small "c" is generally used to refer to the body of believers as a whole/church. You see it in the Nicene Creed which almost every group says

Catholicism with a large "C" normally refers to the the church in communication with Bishop of Rome (Pope) or Holy Roman Catholic Church. While numerous wars have been fought since the reformation, it is generally accepted today that Catholics are simply an offshoot of the main set of beliefs held in common by Christians around the globe. There are several main differences namely:

* Direct and continuous organizational descent from the original church founded by Jesus Mt 16:18).
    o 18: And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. "I say to you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church." It is common belief that Jesus was telling Peter that he would build the New Heaven as mentioned in Revelations which God calls his church. Therefore it reads in the common tongue "I tell you Peter, I will build my Church here."
    * Possession of the "threefold ordained ministry" of Bishops, Priests and Deacons.
    * All ministers are ordained by, and subject to, Bishops, who pass down sacramental authority by the "laying-on of hands", having themselves been ordained in a direct line of succession from the Apostles (see Apostolic Succession).
    * Belief that the Church is the vessel and deposit of the fullness of the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles from which the Scriptures were formed. This teaching is preserved in both written Scripture and in unwritten Tradition, neither being independent of the other.
    * A belief in the necessity of sacraments (generally counted as seven).
    * The use of sacred images, candles, vestments and music, and often incense and water, in worship.
    * Belief that the Eucharist is really, truly, and objectively the Body and Blood of Christ, through the Real Presence. Those that are quite distinctively Catholic believe that adoration and worship is due to the Eucharist, as the body and blood of Christ.
    * Veneration of Mary, the mother of Jesus as the Blessed Virgin Mary or Theotokos, and veneration of the saints.
    * A distinction between adoration (latria) for God, and veneration (dulia) for saints. The term hyperdulia is used for a special veneration accorded to the Virgin Mary among the saints. Some do not accept the distinction between hyperdulia and dulia.
    * The use of prayer for the dead.
    * Requests to the departed saints for intercessory prayers.
    * Belief in Exorcisms
  6. London
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 14:47
    Originally posted by DoctorDara
    catholicism with a small "c" is generally used to refer to the body of believers as a whole/church. You see it in the Nicene Creed which almost every group says

Catholicism with a large "C" normally refers to the the church in communication with Bishop of Rome (Pope) or Holy Roman Catholic Church. While numerous wars have been fought since the reformat ...[text shortened]... Requests to the departed saints for intercessory prayers.
    * Belief in Exorcisms
    it is generally accepted today that Catholics are simply an offshoot of the main set of beliefs held in common by Christians around the globe.

Don't you mean the other way around (setting aside the Orthodox for the moment)?
  7. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 14:59
    [b]it is generally accepted today that Catholics are simply an offshoot of the main set of beliefs held in common by Christians around the globe.

Don't you mean the other way around (setting aside the Orthodox for the moment)?[/b]
    You might want to look at what you said again. The Orthodox Churches actually make the point that Roman Catholics are simply an offshoot of a certain area (Namely Roman). There's also the Oriental Orthodox Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Assyrian Church of the East which also claim unbroken lines. ;-)
  8. London
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 15:05
    Originally posted by DoctorDara
    You might want to look at what you said again. The Orthodox Churches actually make the point that Roman Catholics are simply an offshoot of a certain area (Namely Roman). There's also the Oriental Orthodox Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Assyrian Church of the East which also claim unbroken lines. ;-)
    You might want to look at what you said again.

Why?

The Orthodox Churches actually make the point that Roman Catholics are simply an offshoot of a certain area (Namely Roman).

They'd be wrong. The Roman rite is only one of about a dozen or so in the Catholic Church -- the others are all Eastern.

There's also the Oriental Orthodox Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Assyrian Church of the East which also claim unbroken lines. ;-)

And no one (except maybe Protestants) disputes they do.
  9. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '06 02:20
    [b]You might want to look at what you said again.

Why?

The Orthodox Churches actually make the point that Roman Catholics are simply an offshoot of a certain area (Namely Roman).

They'd be wrong. The Roman rite is only one of about a dozen or so in the Catholic Church -- the others are all Eastern.

There's also the Oriental O ...[text shortened]... also claim unbroken lines. ;-)

And no one (except maybe Protestants) disputes they do.[/b]
    Eastern until the past century used to refer to the middle east. Assyria is in the Middle East not Asia. Many of these churches have a very old history dating back to this period. See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_%28disambiguation%29.
    If you scroll down to problems with the concept of "east": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_world

Problems of the concept

Currently terms such as Western, Near East (or Middle East) and Far East are commonly used to distinguish different cultural spheres, based on the standard two-dimensional layout of the world-map, which has the Americas at the far left (West), Europe and Africa in the middle, and Asia to the right (East). This arrangement is arbitrary because the Earth is round, rather than flat (however this model does ensure that land regions are concentrated in the centre without Eurasia being split in two); therefore, by going west, one will eventually arrive in the east, and when one goes east, one will eventually arrive in the west, provided one keeps going long enough. This is true no matter where one is on the globe's surface (except the Poles, where all directions are either north or south). Because of this, the East/West division has been criticized for being Eurocentric, however the notional 'central-point' between East and West would be to the east of Europe itself. Some countries, in particular Russia, do not fit neatly into this opposition.

While Western Orientalist traditions included both Islamic and further Eastern cultures under the generic heading of "the East", the common Abrahamic traditions of Islam and Christianity mean that a case can be made that both Islam and Christianity together form a different cultural sphere from countries further to the East in which the concept of Dharma plays a far more important role than that of an authoritative God. In recent years the concept of "Eastern culture" has increasingly become restricted to East Asian traditions. However, the existence of Islam and Christianity as powerful forces in countries such as Indonesia and the Philippines makes this usage problematic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree