1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 23:2310 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ah but dear Agers, you were unaware that the number of numerals was i fact a chance
    occurrence itself as i simply placed my finger on the zero and let is 'zing', until i
    thought it was enough to demonstrate the mathematical improbability (i think
    mathematicians hold that something ten to the power of fifty zeros as being almost
    an impossibility)
    If I had drawn also your attention to *the chance you would type that many characters* it would not have benefited *your* argument Robbie!

As for impossibilities (noting that ten to the power of fifty zeros evaluates to 1!) - if there are more than ten to the power of [ten to the power of 50] opportunities to try and get any (unspecified in advance) outcome with a probablilty of ten to the power of [- (ten to the power of 50)] then it's far from feasible to say that attaining some such outcome is impossible (indeed in a mathematical sense we *approach* certainty here that one of such outcomes will occur).

Moreover, as for whatever non-negligble word length post you make next (either here, or elsewhere), the chance you are going to make it, by your reasoning, is nigh on impossible!
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 23:572 edits
    just noticed I made a mistake earlier (a bloody big one I can't edit) - fair play to whoever calls me out on it 😲
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 01:08
    Originally posted by Agerg
    just noticed I made a mistake earlier (a bloody big one I can't edit) - fair play to whoever calls me out on it 😲
    to err is human, to forgive divine 🙂
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 06:00
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I'd go with a baseless statement out of my backside anyday instead of baseless statement coiming out of someones mouth about something like life just happening from nothing. Lol.
    So non-living matter is 'nothing' according to you? Or are you moving the goal posts, or just talking nonsense because you got called on your previous nonsense?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 21:09
    ah but dear Agers, you were unaware that the number of numerals was i fact a chance
    occurrence itself as i simply placed my finger on the zero and let is 'zing', until i
    mathematicians hold that something ten to the power of fifty zeros as being almost
    an impossibility)
    but 10 to the power of a googleplex of zeroes would still equal 1.

you need another digit of any kind (except another zero) in there somewhere to make it non-1.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 21:58
    an impossibility)
    Does that mean that you just invented a number that big to demonstrate your point? That the number wasn't a mathematical number, but just a symbol of the improbability for life?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 23:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    1 in 50. Maybe even better odds than that if God wanted to help it along.
    He might have wanted me to witness to these two JWs. For I already had
    the chess knowledge and the knowledge of knowing the beliefs of the JWs.
    Dont you see the danger of writing things like "..if God wanted to help it along." ?
    How do you view the ego in your religion? (It was a real big point in the sutras of buddhism. I actually classify many of the buddhists texts as "psychology" and not "religion". It is very instructive and informative on general mental health states that we all seem to share SOME of.

"1 in 50" - Do you just post because your bored? If not then please tell me, (generally, a few words would suffice), how in the hellmud do you get that fraction as an answer to a question???

Obviously you would be joking, but I dont find it amusing slipping in christian dogma in an otherwise (another) bad joke. (Please...at least one smiley? 🙂 )

"For I already had the chess knowledge and the knowledge of knowing the beliefs of the JWs" . On the surface of it this seems presumptious and full of arrogance.
    What are we to make from this? All I can say is that if you want me to continue to read your threads then perhaps you could give that "ego" question a shot. Ok, its not that severe, I'm just trying to get your attention.

It has been suggested elsewhere that you are actually an atheist trying to give christians a bad name.
    See I'm such a sucker thats why I dont have a credit card.
    Anyway, please try to clarify your post a bit for us,eh?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:021 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    you have an erroneous % symbol in place of a multiplication Symbol...

Which I would probably not have spotted if you hadn't flagged it up 😉

EDIT: and as I discus below, robbie was trying to go for a tiny probability
    which means you really should have had 1x10^minus(something) but hey
    your point was made.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:13
    an impossibility)
    You really should actually learn some science before you start pulling stuff out your posterior.

First for a probability you should have said something like 1 IN 1x10^1000... ...0000
    OR better would have been to go with 1x10^-1000... ....0000

However the real chances (even assuming total randomness which is creationists first mistake)
    is VASTLY lower than the number you tried to make.

I would like to give you some idea of the scale of numbers by saying that the estimates for number
    of atoms in the ENTIRE visible universe is about 1x10^80 atoms.

If you make the chances of life forming by 'random' chance a cornerstone of your argument then
    the ACTUAL odds really do matter, which means you need to actually work out the odds and show
    how you came to them.

Simply pulling numbers out of thin air like this, particularly when you have no clue what they mean,
    simply highlights that you have no clue what you are talking about.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:471 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You really should actually learn some science before you start pulling stuff out your posterior.

First for a probability you should have said something like 1 IN 1x10^1000... ...0000
    OR better would have been to go with 1x10^-1000... ....0000

However the real chances (even assuming total randomness which is creationists first mistake)
    is VASTLY e no clue what they mean,
    simply highlights that you have no clue what you are talking about.
    yawn, some people are content to laugh at their own jokes.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:49
    yawn, some people are content to laugh at their own jokes.
    Yeah, Narcissists.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:59
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Yeah, Narcissists.
    I blame the new morality myself, its concerns with personal freedoms has fomented a
    meistic approach to almost everything, an inability to view anything from another
    perspective and a generation of self certified Persian Kings thrashing the sea from their
    room full of mirrors, is it nurtured or natural?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 03:521 edit
    I blame the new morality myself, its concerns with personal freedoms has fomented a
    meistic approach to almost everything, an inability to view anything from another
    perspective and a generation of self certified Persian Kings thrashing the sea from their
    room full of mirrors, is it nurtured or natural?
    Is that like "political correctness gone haywire" ?
    you know. You cant share the same bottle of drink? Creepy paranoid stuff like that?

Cause when you say "new morality" , I assume you mean the younger generation , to some extent (?)

Anyway, in regards to "maturing adults"-I'm not going to put an age in here, I've seen the most childish stuff done by so called "adults" , so I'll just let the adults know who they are 😉.
    But perhaps these young "upstarts", with not much life experience , have to go through their own "room full of mirrors ritual", to some degree to attain their "manhood".

Or have I got it totally wrong?

edit:definately nurtured!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree