1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 May '06 01:28
    It seems there are some factions in the Catholic church that are advocating legal action to stop the showing of the movie The DaVinci Code. There is a general movement by the church to advocate a boycott of the movie, but some, including a Nigerian cardinal, are wanting Catholics to take it to court.

To me this seems rather Talibanish.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 May '06 01:34
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    It seems there are some factions in the Catholic church that are advocating legal action to stop the showing of the movie The DaVinci Code.
    On what legal basis are they seeking an injunction, and in which jurisdiction?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 May '06 01:39
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Probably anywhere and anyhow.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 May '06 01:491 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Probably anywhere and anyhow.
    Why don't they grow up? I don't recall the paleontologists doing legal battle over the Jurassic Park movie.
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    09 May '06 01:50
    It seems there are some factions in the Catholic church that are advocating legal action to stop the showing of the movie The DaVinci Code. There is a general movement by the church to advocate a boycott of the movie, but some, including a Nigerian cardinal, are wanting Catholics to take it to court.

Given what I know about the RCC I'd be surprised if this was the case. But I wouldn't call it 'talibanish' if it were true.

Wouldn't the Taliban blow up the movie or something?
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 May '06 01:541 edit
    I had the impression that they were going to play the "persecution " hand. They wanted to flood the courts with lawsuits.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 May '06 02:01
    Maybe Austria; if you can go to prison for denying the Holocaust in whole or part, they you can probably have your movie banned for saying Jesus got laid.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 May '06 02:091 edit
    I had the impression that they were going to play the "persecution " hand. They wanted to flood the courts with lawsuits.
    If I were on the defense team, I'd be shaking in my boots. If the Catholics put the Pope on the stand, what jury could doubt such an infallible expert witness?

But I doubt they could show standing on the grounds of persecution anyway.
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 May '06 03:43
    If I were on the defense team, I'd be shaking in my boots. If the Catholics put the Pope on the stand, what jury could doubt such an infallible expert witness?

Yeah, but the "discovery" process would be a hell of a lot of fun.
  10. Argentina
    Moves
    09 May '06 03:47
    What then, about the books of Umberto Eco?
    Do you have read "Il Nome de la Rosa" (or have seen the movie), or have read "Il Pendolo di Foucault"?

I haven't read/saw DaVinci Code.

But it seems INHO that it is (DC) pure crap compared to the work of Eco.

Of course, it is a prejuice, cos I havent read nor see the movie.
    So, I may be totally wrong.

No lawsuits, as far as I know, against Eco.

But well, this is my opinion.

We have to wait and see the modern capitalist Inquisition,

-J
  11. Joined
    05 May '06
    Moves
    09 May '06 06:381 edit
    From the reports I’ve seen, i think the Cardinal was thinking in terms of some kind of action on the grounds of blasphemy (his concern seems to be that Christian beliefs have been ridiculed). I have absolutely no idea what his chances of success are though…

However, I think Opus Dei have good grounds for launching a libel action in Britain given that:

a)Dan Brown frames his novel by highlighting the ‘factual’ nature of his work and points to his meticulous research, which can reasonably be said to have led others to believe that the fictional suppositions which follow in the main part of the novel were equally factual.

b)Opus Dei is both implicitly libelled through its depiction as an organisation that would willingly engage in criminal acts and explicitly libelled through Brown’s portryal (as fact) of old, unproven, allegations of fianlcial impropriaty between the organisation and the Vatican Bank.

c)The massive success and publicity of the work in addition to its apparent success in shaping public opinion around Opus Dei mean the organisation should have a simple job in proving that they have been harmed by the novel. (I think, at the very least, this point would make a similar action against Eco likely to fail).

Anyone interested can find a summery of UK libel laws at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1183394
  12. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    09 May '06 10:261 edit
    Originally posted by Nimzofish
    From the reports I’ve seen, i think the Cardinal was thinking in terms of some kind of action on the grounds of blasphemy (his concern seems to be that Christian beliefs have been ridiculed). I have absolutely no idea what his chances of success are though…

However, I think Opus Dei have good grounds for launching a libel action in Britain given that: ...[text shortened]... ested can find a summery of UK libel laws at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1183394
    Interesting question whether Opus Dei (as a group) could sue. Non-trading corporations can sue if to protect their corporate reputation; associations (such as clubs) can't, unless they are an incorporated body. Political parties can't sue.

Lawyers?
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 May '06 12:132 edits

this is fun already:

"It is an ascertained fact," one Protestant minister wrote in 1836, "that Jesuits are prowling about all parts of the United States in every possible disguise, expressly to ascertain the advantageous situations and modes to disseminate Popery."

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0421,indiana,53767,1.html

and this is interesting:

"All that was required of a new member was a blind obedience, as imperative in the soldier as in the monk."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14493a.htm

Here's a bit more to read and enjoy:
    "'Sang réal' has been traditionally interpreted as the 'holy grail' which, according to legend, Mary Magdalene carried to the Jewish kingdom of southern Gaul (including Rennes-le-Château. It may have been believed by adherents of a secret tradition that Mary Magdalene was the wife of Jesus and that what she brought was not a vessel but the royal seed of David in her womb."
    - Steve Mizrach, "The Mysteries of Rennes-le-Château and the Prieure du Sion"

http://www.ordotempli.org/priory_of_sion.htm
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 May '06 13:06

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194665,00.html
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 May '06 13:21
    Originally posted by Halitose
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194665,00.html
    Just in the spirit of argument:

"In this ambiance of pseudo-historic accuracy, Brown uses his fictional characters to call into question fundamental elements of the Christian faith: 1) the divinity of Christ 2) the validity of the four Gospels 3) the beliefs of the early Christian community."
    Taken from the site you just gave.
    Isn't the entire New Testament pseudo history?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree