1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 May '14 05:542 edits
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    1Tim. 4:13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.
    1 Timothy 4:12-14a A Good Minister of Jesus Christ: 12. "Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. 13. Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching. 14a. Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you..." New American Standard

13. "Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching."

Strong's Concordance: ◄ 320. anagnósis & #9658;
    anagnósis: recognition, reading
    Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
    Transliteration: anagnósis
    Phonetic Spelling: (an-ag'-no-sis)
    Short Definition: reading
    Definition: recognition, reading; public reading (of the law and prophets in synagogue or church). http://biblehub.com/greek/320.htm

Expository (English Bible) Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers 1 Timothy 4:13 "Till I come, give attendance to reading.—The words evidently imply a hope, perhaps even an expectation, on the part of St. Paul, that he would one day be enabled once more to visit the Church of Ephesus; but so long as that absence lasted, Timothy was to attend carefully to three special points in the public ministry in which he was, in the Apostle’s absence, the chief officer.

The “reading” was that public reading of Scripture in the congregation—a practice borrowed from the synagogue service, when publicly the Law and the Prophets were read to the people assembled. (See Luke 4:16; Acts 13:15.) In these early Christian assemblies, about the year 66-67, the question arises, Were any Scriptures read in public besides the books of the Old Testament? No certain reply can be given: it is, however, probable, even at this very early date, that one at least of the older Gospels (probably St. Mark) was already known and used in the Christian churches, and read along with the Scriptures of the old covenant. That the reading of the “Gospels” very soon became a part of the regular service in the congregations of Christians is evident from the words of Justin Martyr, Apologia, i. 67, written in the first half of the first century.

To exhortation, to doctrine.—These both most probably refer to the public ministry in the congregation. The first, “exhortation,” particularly applies to the feelings*. The reading of the Scriptures must be followed by an earnest practical application of their teaching to the affairs of that life in the midst of which the Christian listener was living. The word “doctrine” suggests a public teaching directed rather to the understanding of the hearers. The idea of exposition, or even of dogmatic teaching, seems here included.

*"feelings": Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary: exhortation—addressed to the feelings and will with a view to the regulation of the conduct." http://biblehub.com/commentaries/1_timothy/4-13.htm

Note: RB, from this commentary and several others I just read online, Paul's exhortation to Timothy [as a young pastor] is twofold: 1) To become well versed in the New Testament Books through diligent private study as preparation; 2) and then an exhortation for him to provide teaching by public exegesis to his congregation in Ephesus (not public evangelism per se).
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 May '14 06:35
    Well, I guess you brothers would have to humble yourselves and participate in one of the events and you would get an understanding because dont forget God love the community of believers but he would meet you in a personal way at one of those events. Example for Global Day of prayer you can continue praying individually for 90 days. God will meet you in a personal way there. God is a personal God!
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 May '14 06:53
    http://www.dcbiblemarathon.org/Home.html

What are your thoughts of this?

I wish I could read out of the book of Acts if I was a part of this.
    "25th Annual U.S. Capitol Bible Reading Marathon Sunday April 27 - Thursday, May 1, 2014

Established in 1990 by Dr. John Hash and Dr. Corinthia Boone, the U.S. Capitol Bible Reading Marathon brings hundreds of believers to the West front of the Capitol to read aloud the entire Word of God without commentary over ninety continuous hours. The public reading of God’s Holy Word will call the nation to return to God’s precepts and will lay a solid foundation for the National Day of Prayer."

"Capitol Prayer Vigil for the Nation: In II Chronicles 7:14 we are called, as a nation, to pray and seek the face of God. Beginning on Sunday, April 27 prayer will be ongoing at the U.S. Capitol West front, 24 hours a day, throughout the week until the Day of Prayer.Come to the Capitol to kneel and to pray for your nation."

"Capital Region National Day of Prayer Observance Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:30 - 8:30 pm For over 20 years the Nation’s Capital region has come together to observe the National Day of Prayer in a spirit of unity that transcends denomination, race, national origin and generation. Join us for this time of heartfelt worship, sincere repentance and world-changing prayer.It’s time to pray like we've never prayed before." http://www.dcbiblemarathon.org/Home.html

> RB, quite an event. If you had attended which passages from the book of Acts would you like to have read?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    02 May '14 15:51
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"25th Annual U.S. Capitol Bible Reading Marathon Sunday April 27 - Thursday, May 1, 2014

Established in 1990 by Dr. John Hash and Dr. Corinthia Boone, the U.S. Capitol Bible Reading Marathon brings hundreds of believers to the West front of the Capitol to read aloud the entire Word of God without commentary over ninety continuous hours. The ...[text shortened]... an event. If you had attended which passages from the book of Acts would you like to have read?[/b]
    Acts Ch.4 because one of my favorite verses is 4:12 and/or Acts 16 because I like verse 31(Paul and Silas in Prison 16:16-40). I am sure that you would read more then one chapter.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 May '14 17:402 edits
    Acts Ch.4 because one of my favorite verses is 4:12 and/or Acts 16 because I like verse 31(Paul and Silas in Prison 16:16-40). I am sure that you would read more then one chapter. <--- Just one. Thank you.
    Mark 15:1-47 New American Standard Bible

Jesus before Pilate

Mark 15: 1"Early in the morning the chief priests with the elders and scribes and the whole [a] Council, immediately held a consultation; and binding Jesus, they led Him away and delivered Him to Pilate. 2 Pilate questioned Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And He *answered him, “It is as you say.” 3 The chief priests began to accuse Him [b ] harshly. 4 Then Pilate questioned Him again, saying, “Do You not answer? See how many charges they bring against You!” 5 But Jesus made no further answer; so Pilate was amazed.

6 Now at the feast he used to release for them any one prisoner whom they requested. 7 The man named Barabbas had been imprisoned with the insurrectionists who had committed murder in the insurrection. 8 The crowd went up and began asking him to do as he had been accustomed to do for them. 9 Pilate answered them, saying, “Do you want me to release for you the King of the Jews?” 10 For he was aware that the chief priests had handed Him over because of envy. 11 But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to ask him to release Barabbas for them instead. 12 Answering again, Pilate said to them, “Then what shall I do with Him whom you call the King of the Jews?” 13 They shouted [c] back, “Crucify Him!” 14 But Pilate said to them, “Why, what evil has He done?” But they shouted all the more, “Crucify Him!” 15 Wishing to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas for them, and after having Jesus scourged, he handed Him over to be crucified."

Jesus Is Mocked

16 "The soldiers took Him away into the [d] palace (that is, the Praetorium), and they *called together the whole Roman [e] cohort. 17 They *dressed Him up in purple, and after twisting a crown of thorns, they put it on Him; 18 and they began to acclaim Him, “Hail, King of the Jews!” 19 They kept beating His head with a [f] reed, and spitting on Him, and kneeling and bowing before Him. 20 After they had mocked Him, they took the purple robe off Him and put His own garments on Him. And they *led Him out to crucify Him. 21 They *pressed into service a passer-by coming from the country, Simon of Cyrene (the father of Alexander and Rufus), to bear His cross." (1 of 3)
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 May '14 17:412 edits

The Crucifixion

22 "Then they *brought Him to the place Golgotha, which is translated, Place of a Skull. 23 They tried to give Him wine mixed with myrrh; but He did not take it. 24 And they *crucified Him, and *divided up His garments among themselves, casting [g] lots for them to decide [h]what each man should take. 25 It was the [i ] third hour [j] when they crucified Him. 26 The inscription of the charge against Him [k]read, “THE KING OF THE JEWS.”

27 They *crucified two robbers with Him, one on His right and one on His left. 28 [l] [And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And He was numbered with transgressors.”] 29 Those passing by were [m] hurling abuse at Him, wagging their heads, and saying, “Ha! You who are going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, 30 save Yourself, and come down from the cross!” 31 In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes, were mocking Him among themselves and saying, “He saved others; [n] He cannot save Himself. 32 Let this Christ, the King of Israel, now come down from the cross, so that we may see and believe!” Those who were crucified with Him were also insulting Him.

33 When the [o] sixth hour came, darkness [p] fell over the whole land until the [q] ninth hour. 34 At the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” 35 When some of the bystanders heard it, they began saying, “Behold, He is calling for Elijah.” 36 Someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink, saying, “[r] Let us see whether Elijah will come to take Him down.” 37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. 38 And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. 39 When the centurion, who was standing [s] right in front of Him, saw [t] the way He breathed His last, he said, “Truly this man was [u] the Son of God!”

40 There were also some women looking on from a distance, among whom were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of [v] James the [w] Less and Joses, and Salome. 41 When He was in Galilee, they used to follow Him and [x] minister to Him; and there were many other women who came up with Him to Jerusalem." (2 of 3)
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 May '14 17:412 edits

Jesus Is Buried

42 "When evening had already come, because it was the preparation day, that is, the day before the Sabbath, 43 Joseph of Arimathea came, a prominent member of the Council, who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God; and he gathered up courage and went in before Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus. 44 Pilate wondered if He was dead by this time, and summoning the centurion, he questioned him as to whether He was already dead. 45 And ascertaining this from the centurion, he granted the body to Joseph. 46 Joseph bought a linen cloth, took Him down, wrapped Him in the linen cloth and laid Him in a tomb which had been hewn out in the rock; and he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb. 47 Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses were looking on to see where He was laid."

Footnotes: a.Mark 15:1 Or Sanhedrin b.Mark 15:3 Or of many things c.Mark 15:13 Or again d.Mark 15:16 Or court e.Mark 15:16 Or battalion f.Mark 15:19 Or staff (made of a reed) g.Mark 15:24 Lit a lot upon h.Mark 15:24 Lit who should take what i.Mark 15:25 I.e. 9 a.m. j.Mark 15:25 Lit and k.Mark 15:26 Lit had been inscribed l.Mark 15:28 Early mss do not contain this v m.Mark 15:29 Or blaspheming n.Mark 15:31 Or can He not save Himself? o.Mark 15:33 I.e. noon p.Mark 15:33 Or occurred q.Mark 15:33 I.e. 3 p.m. r.Mark 15:36 Lit Permit that we see; or Hold off, let us see s.Mark 15:39 Or opposite Him t.Mark 15:39 Lit that He thus u.Mark 15:39 Or a son of God or son of a god v.Mark 15:40 Or Jacob w.Mark 15:40 Lit little (either in stature or age) x.Mark 15:41 Or wait on. Mark 15:1-47 New American Standard Bible (3 of 3)
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '14 05:57
    If you only got to read one that would be 1,189 people I think for all the books of the bible being divided into chapters. I would not want to be the one to read psalm 117 that would be short. Listening to psalm 119 and Deut. 28 take 20 minutes each on my cd's. I would like to have a bible with no chapters or verse numbers.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 May '14 07:00
    If you only got to read one that would be 1,189 people I think for all the books of the bible being divided into chapters. I would not want to be the one to read psalm 117 that would be short. Listening to psalm 119 and Deut. 28 take 20 minutes each on my cd's. I would like to have a bible with no chapters or verse numbers.
    1,189 Chapters; Psalm 119: 176 Verses; Psalm 117: 2 Verses.

Have you noticed any media coverage of this event?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 May '14 08:21
    Well, I guess you brothers would have to humble yourselves and participate in one of the events and you would get an understanding because dont forget God love the community of believers but he would meet you in a personal way at one of those events. Example for Global Day of prayer you can continue praying individually for 90 days. God will meet you in a personal way there. God is a personal God!
    He is a personal God who only meets me when I am in a large group of people? 🙂
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '14 10:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    1,189 Chapters; Psalm 119: 176 Verses; Psalm 117: 2 Verses.

Have you noticed any media coverage of this event?
    I only heard advertising of it on 99.9 FM Radio in Fresno which is the Bott Radio Network Christian talk radio. I only have basic tv and they did not talk about it on the Today Show which is the on I watch.

This is for the National Day of Paryer on Foxnews site but nothing about Reading the Bible: Romans 15:6 so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/05/01/it-national-day-prayer-and-lord-knows-america-needs-it/

We also participate in this as a church: http://www.globaldayofprayer.com/
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '14 10:552 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    He is a personal God who only meets me when I am in a large group of people? 🙂
    Yes, everyone can encounter The Lord in different ways. Sometimes I can get a understanding of a verse that my wife might understand it in a different way. Sometimes people weep tears of joy as the worship music is playing too. And Yes that is how people get saved as well!
    Last night my Pastors had a thank you dinner for the helpers for the year at their home. May 4th is 20 years as a church. Sense 2000 we as a Church have seen 1,200 exactly come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ. That is 1 every 4.365 days. Praise The Lord! I have been going to this place of Worship for 8.6 years.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 May '14 11:29
    Well, I guess you brothers would have to humble yourselves and participate in one of the events...
    Well, I guess this is your way of throwing an insult. I.e. a back-handed way of calling us "brothers" who disagree with you of being too proud.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '14 12:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well, I guess this is your way of throwing an insult. I.e. a back-handed way of calling us "brothers" who disagree with you of being too proud.
    Well every day people who go to church basically have to humble themselves to go. Especially during the NFL season. Church goes on all the time when my bills play so I never really get to see a game of those. But the bills and Dolphins play on Thursday night this year, So I get to see that one.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 May '14 13:252 edits
    Well every day people who go to church basically have to humble themselves to go. Especially during the NFL season. Church goes on all the time when my bills play so I never really get to see a game of those. But the bills and Dolphins play on Thursday night this year, So I get to see that one.
    What you are describing is not humility. You could call it any of the following (or other adjectives) but not humility:

Discipline
    Commitment
    Routine
    Tradition
    Habit
    Obligation
    Religiosity
    Fear
    Control

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree