Reality???

Standard memberRemoved
Spirituality 25 Feb '06 22:04
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 22:04
    Has it ever occured to anyone here, that our perception of reality might just be a hallucination, a drug induced "trip out", a mental derangement or a dream. The problem is, that I find it difficult to manage a succesful refutation that doesn't involve some sentimental attachment (i.e. I love my family... They can't be just a figment of my imagination). This also applies to God. If we can't be sure of our sensory perceptions how can we be absolutely certain that there exists a God? It could all just be an illusion. I suspect that most traditional and modern (Witgenstein?) attacks on solipsism have failed to rebuff the illusion concept.

Any thoughts?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 22:07
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Has it ever occured to anyone here, that our perception of reality might just be a hallucination, a drug induced "trip out", a mental derangement or a dream. The problem is, that I find it difficult to manage a succesful refutation that doesn't involve some sentimental attachment (i.e. I love my family... They can't be just a figment of my imagination). Thi ...[text shortened]... nstein?) attacks on solipsism have failed to rebuff the illusion concept.

Any thoughts?
    None that I could prove, or that others couldn't refute.
  3. Joined
    25 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 22:11
    Has it ever occured to anyone here, that our perception of reality might just be a hallucination, a drug induced "trip out", a mental derangement or a dream. The problem is, that I find it difficult to manage a succesful refutation that doesn't involve some sentimental attachment (i.e. I love my family... They can't be just a figment of my imagination). Thi ...[text shortened]... nstein?) attacks on solipsism have failed to rebuff the illusion concept.

Any thoughts?
    i enjoyed the film "The Matrix".
  4. Behind you^^
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 23:04
  5. Behind you^^
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 23:04
  6. Behind you^^
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 23:07
    if this is all a dream, I think its sad that we are dreaming of being in the internet
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 00:49
    Originally posted by Jonny d
    if this is all a dream, I think its sad that we are dreaming of being in the internet
    By we, you mean, you, right?
  8. London
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 01:08

Any thoughts?
    Solipsism is irrefutable. And a complete waste of time.

Reminds me of Chesterton's madman who claims he's really the King of England and is the victim of a conspiracy.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 03:35
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Solipsism is irrefutable. And a complete waste of time.

Reminds me of Chesterton's madman who claims he's really the King of England and is the victim of a conspiracy.
    Then why believe in God?
    It seems a great stretch of faith to just even accept reality let alone God.

And anyway I vaguely recall that true solipsism can't exist anyway.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 03:37
    Then why believe in God?
    It seems a great stretch of faith to just even accept reality let alone God.

And anyway I vaguely recall that true solipsism can't exist anyway.
    Why care for an answer?
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 04:30
    Now I'm an atheist, so I'd hate to be mistaken for a theistic apologist, but isn't that the whole point of faith - you can't prove God exists, you just have to take a leap into the unknown.

On the "whole world is a dream" idea - of course that's entirely possible. Given that our perceptions of reality are entirely local - that is, we percieve only what our own senses detect, and that these senses are some sort of electrical nerve signal tripping neurons in the brain, then the possibility exists that everything we experience is a dream, or a simulation of some sort.
    Given that there's no way to refute this - or not that I can think of anyway - then we have to make a choice: go on and ignore this possibility, or accept it as realistic.
    I can't imagine any sane person being able to cope with the world if they accept this position.

But maybe I just dreamt that I can't accept it ...
  12. Behind you^^
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 13:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    By we, you mean, you, right?
    yes, i mean, you!
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 15:17
    Originally posted by Jonny d
    yes, i mean, you!
    That's what you said.
  14. Behind you^^
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 15:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That's what you said.
    😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree