1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 14:17
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    For the record I hate those links.

I like a full link where I can see exactly what it is I am clicking on.
    I assure you it is not a virus. I provided the title of the video that gives a hint as to the content, isn't that good enough?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 09:37
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I assure you Suzianne that your belief in a big old battle set to take place within your own lifetime, on the plains of Megido waged by Satan's minions and God's angelic hordes, guarantees you a seat at the table of THOSE Christians.
    That's as may be. Tell me all about that *after* it happens.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 12:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That's as may be. Tell me all about that *after* it happens.
    Myself and every creature on this earth that lives now, or at some point in the future, shall be long dead *before* that happens.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:341 edit
    20 Reasons Christianity Is True

For those that do not like to watch videos, I took the time to watch this one again, so that I could write down the 20 reasons that are discussed by the man in the video.

1. The design in all the universe points to an Intelligent Designer.
    2. Fine-tuning precision in the universe to provide for life points to an Intelligent Fine-tuner.
    3. Information encoded in DNA points to an Intelligent Mind that performed the encoding.
    4. The beginning of the universe points to an Intelligent Cause outside the universe.
    5. Morality points to a Moral Standard Giver above men.
    6. The 66 books of the Holy Bible written over 1500 years show a main unity of theme.
    7. The Holy Bible is a reliably accurate historical book.
    8. There are more preserved NT manuscript copies closer to the event than for other ancient manuscripts.
    9. Archaeology has verified the historical accuracy of the Holy Bible.
    10. The Holy Bible is honest for a religious book in presenting the bad points of its heros.
    11. The Holy Bible presents miracles performed by God and Christ.
    12. There are many fulfilled prophecies (example: Isaiah 53).
    13. Jesus in the flesh is presented as the sinless Son of God come to save men from sin.
    14. The historical evidence for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is extremely strong.
    15. The emergence of the Christian Church began in Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.
    16. Paul's conversion to the Christian faith.
    17. The disciples would not willing die for what they knew was a lie.
    18. The conversion to Christianity of skeptics.
    19. The testimonies of Christians.
    20. The resurrected Christ said it is true.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 08:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds

For those that do not like to watch videos, I took the time to watch this one again, so that I could write down the 20 reasons that are discussed by the man in the video.

Origin of species successfully dispells that myth for biological life, so I see no reason to automatically believe it about the entirety of the universe.

2. Fine-tuning precision in the universe to provide for life points to an Intelligent Fine-tuner.

Victor Stenger's "The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning: Why the Universe Is Not Designed for Us" is a real good read if you wish to learn why this assumption also fails.

3. Information encoded in DNA points to an Intelligent Mind that performed the encoding.

Genetic similarities (shared pseudo genes, ERV's, chromosomes, even genetic disorders) paints a clear picture of common descent, an "information" trial and error process, if you will.

4. The beginning of the universe points to an Intelligent Cause outside the universe.

The "cause" of the universe is a debated issue still, so to conclude that it must have a cause is a wee bit premature.

The idea that the universe has a cause rests on the fact that every event we observe within the universe has a cause, but that cause is always of the same spacetime as the event and the result. Logic dictates then, that if we accept the universe must have a cause, that cause must be of the same spacetime as the event (big bang), and result (our universe). To postulate something different is to speculate, and so the conclusion drawn is premature, at best.

5. Morality points to a Moral Standard Giver above men.

How so? It appears to me that morality is a learned behaviour. Why else would it need to be written down? And if it is a learned behaviour, that means it can be subjectively justified only. We have no reason to believe in objective morality, other than maybe in genetically motivated behaviour (and only in a limited sense then, since genomes mutate ever so slowly).

6. The 66 books of the Holy Bible written over 1500 years show a main unity of theme.

As expected when every subsequent author builds on the works of their predecessors.

7. The Holy Bible is a reliably accurate historical book.

It is? Who wrote about jesus' miracles and resurrection independantly of the bible authors?

8. There are more preserved NT manuscript copies closer to the event than for other ancient manuscripts.

So? That only reveals the fervency of its believers, nothing more.

9. Archaeology has verified the historical accuracy of the Holy Bible.

Archaeology suggests that many human settlements found in the world are far older than your 6000 years, and that great civilisations existed before, during and after the great worldwide flood, without one mention of it. What should we make of that?

10. The Holy Bible is honest for a religious book in presenting the bad points of its heros.

Batman must exist then.

11. The Holy Bible presents miracles performed by God and Christ.

Batman miraculously escapes with minor bruises even when outnumbered ten to one, and the opposition is no good, evil-doers who never shy away from dirty tricks and tactics.

Is a miracle I tell ya, is a miracle!

12. There are many fulfilled prophecies (example: Isaiah 53).

Yes, because no one can predict that a man who walks against the religious order would be persecuted and ridiculed and all that. That must have been completely unheard of before Isaiah. Praise the lord! Also, weren't the authors of the new testament aware of Isiah, and who besides these authors confirmed the prophecy?

13. Jesus in the flesh is presented as the sinless Son of God come to save men from sin.

Batman is presented as a rich playboy by day. The point?

14. The historical evidence for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is extremely strong.

Who besides the authors of the new testament wrote about the resurrection of jesus?

15. The emergence of the Christian Church began in Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.

So?

16. Paul's conversion to the Christian faith.

Guilt manifesting as hallucinations and an obsessive desire to make a mense? Hey, I'm no psychologist, but I'm pretty sure stranger things have happened. 😵

17. The disciples would not willing die for what they knew was a lie.

Marshall Applewhite.

18. The conversion to Christianity of skeptics.

If that's a reason to believe, does that mean that believers turning sceptical is a reason to be sceptic? Is it a numbers game? What?

19. The testimonies of Christians.

Confirmation bias.

Well, I guess that settles it then. 🙄
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 09:35
    Originally posted by C Hess

Origin of species successfully dispells that myth for biological life, so I see no reason to automatically believe it about the entirety of the universe.

Victor Stenger's ...[text shortened]...

Well, I guess that settles it then. 🙄
    I believe if you studied a little more you could do better. 😏

The Near Genius
  7. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 10:011 edit
    I believe if you studied a little more you could do better. 😏

The Near Genius
    And if you tried a little harder, like even trying at all, you'd also see through all of those reasons. There's really only one reason to be christian, because you want to. The rest are just attempts to convince yourselves that you have rational causes to believe.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 22:191 edit
    Originally posted by C Hess
    And if you tried a little harder, like even trying at all, you'd also see through all of those reasons. There's really only one reason to be christian, because you want to. The rest are just attempts to convince yourselves that you have rational causes to believe.
    Perhaps that is the best reason of all that Christianity is true to me and other Christians, like the 2 million, out of nearly 12 million U.S. scientists, that are evangelical Christians.

That is not even counting the other scientists like Francis Collins, who says he believes that God used the mechanism of evolution to achieve a goal to create creatures with whom He could have fellowship, inspire moral law, infuse a soul, and give free will to make decisions.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 05:31
    I assure you it is not a virus.
    Unfortunately your assurance is less than worthless.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '15 06:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Unfortunately your assurance is less than worthless.
    Anyway, it is true. 😏
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '15 20:44

[youtube]XH2sqRACIQc[/youtube]
    Christianity is not true.

And Jesus is true.......................(however before the secular power players commissioned their interpretation of the Bible)

And God is true.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '15 22:06
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Christianity is not true.

And Jesus is true.......................(however before the secular power players commissioned their interpretation of the Bible)

And God is true.
    Christianity is true, your Hinduism is not true.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '15 22:23
    Christianity is true, your Hinduism is not true.
    You know that how? Is there anything in the bible that denounces hinduism?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '15 22:551 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You know that how? Is there anything in the bible that denounces hinduism?
    Yes. The Bible speaks against the Hinduism belief of continual reincarnation of the soul in different bodies.
    ...man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment...

(Hebrews 9:27 KJV)
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '15 23:07
    Yes. The Bible speaks against the Hinduism belief of continual reincarnation of the soul in different bodies.
    ...man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment...

(Hebrews 9:27 KJV)
    Many religions have reincarnation in their belief, that doesn't mean the verse mentioned is about hinduism. Show me the word Hindu in the bible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree